Old October 31st 05, 12:12 PM
Dave Piggin

Default Question on shooting a line

If you can, manufacture/fabricate a catapult 6" in front of a fishing
reel that has a closed faced spool that has 100 Yards of 6Lb
monofilament line on the spool.
You might be able to get the local kid to sell you his catapult.

Fix them to a piece of wood with the reel at the rear of your lenght of
wood "upside down" to the catapult. The reel can be fixed on the wood
with insulting tape on the reel feet. The catapult needs fixing on the
wood, at the end. Make a fixing to steady it up on the wooden bar. The
catapult hand grip goes below the wooden bar.

If you use a lenght of wood long enough to support a stock piece that
you can pull into your shoulder, this will help in making the target
alot easier to "hit" and will give support at the rear, the catapult
handle giving support at the front, thus enableing your other hand to
pull the catapult rubber back.

After tying the line to the weight, (use a pear shaped lead) place the
weight in the catapult pouch, release the bail pin and the lead weight
is shot over the tree limb. After reaching and acheiving the desired
target!! remove the lead weight, tie a nylon cord to it and "reel the
line back in"

Remove line after reeling back in, put assembly away. Tie your dogbone
or insulating piece that's on the end of your wire to the cord, pull
your nylon cord back and anchor to anything usable. Jobs a good un. ezy
pezy
Sounds dead long winded, but simple really. Dave
--
Amateur Radio Call Sign M1BTI, Located in Manchester England.
Locator square IO83TK
Old October 31st 05, 11:56 PM
Roger

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:12:52 GMT, Dave Piggin
wrote:

If you can, manufacture/fabricate a catapult 6" in front of a fishing
reel that has a closed faced spool that has 100 Yards of 6Lb
monofilament line on the spool.
You might be able to get the local kid to sell you his catapult.

Why not just use the rod and reel? Admittedly some can throw farther
than they can cast. OTOH in the city of Midland it is illegal to use
said catapult, bow, or other mechanical means of throwing things. At
least they've not outlawed the use of the rod and reel. Myself, I
like a good cross bow. OTOH you'd need a lot more than a 100 yards of
monofilament.:-))

Still it's not problem here as I live out in the country.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

snip
Old November 1st 05, 01:13 AM
Ed

Why not just use the rod and reel? Admittedly some can throw farther
than they can cast.

I doubt there are very many people who can either throw, or cast a
line, at 70 feet, over a particular branch of a rather densely packed
conifer tree. I can do it, however, with a slingshot. A bow or crossbow
would be even better, I'll admit.

Ed

Old November 1st 05, 03:18 PM
Jim Leder

I've been using my old Bear hunting bow, and rubber tipped small game arrows
with 20 lb fishing line for years. Works great, even though the neighbors
think I'm crazy. After I get the line where I want it, I cut the line
freeing the arrow and tie on a 1 oz. bullet sinker and pull the line up over
the tree limbs that are 'extra' till the sinker is only over the target tree
limb and then just drop the line and sinker. Works perfect.

. 93.175...

Old November 2nd 05, 12:29 AM
Steven Fritts

I use a 1.5 oz weight and 20# line. Works very well.

Steve W4SEF

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:55:15 GMT, Ed
wrote:

I'm trying to shoot a line over a tree limb to hoist my next
generation of wire dipole.

I'm using a slingshot, a 1 oz round lead fishing weight, and in this
case, 40# test fishing line.

Although I have had fair success in the past, I'm having difficulties
lately. My weight won't pull the line down the other side of the limb
beyond where it stopped.

My Question: What weight do you guys recommend? Does anyone know
what weight is used on the EZhang system? Comments sollicited.

Right now I'm waiting for the wind to blow and hopefully move the tree
limb enough to make the hanging weight pull my live over to the point
where I can reach it.

Ed K7AAT

Old November 4th 05, 09:31 PM
Roger

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:13:09 GMT, Ed
wrote:

Why not just use the rod and reel? Admittedly some can throw farther
than they can cast.

I doubt there are very many people who can either throw, or cast a
line, at 70 feet, over a particular branch of a rather densely packed
conifer tree. I can do it, however, with a slingshot. A bow or crossbow
would be even better, I'll admit.

Well, back in my college days (the first time) I had a phys ed class
called "The techniques of Bait and Fly Casting". We had to be able to
put the "bait" through a 16" tire from the width of the field house (a
bit wider than the width of a basketball court.) to pass.

I haven't used a spinning rod in over 25 years. I'd be lucky to hit
the other side of the field house let alone the hole in the tire.
:-))

Old November 5th 05, 04:26 PM
Dave Piggin

Why not just use the rod and reel? Admittedly some can throw farther
than they can cast.

I doubt there are very many people who can either throw, or cast a
line, at 70 feet, over a particular branch of a rather densely packed
conifer tree. I can do it, however, with a slingshot. A bow or
crossbow would be even better, I'll admit.

Which is why I recommend using my described method, as you can "sight"
up your target. Easy really.
Dave. d:-))

SWR - wtf? john d CB 136 July 2nd 05 08:31 PM
SWR - wtf? Roy Lewallen Antenna 110 July 1st 05 05:30 AM
How to measure soil constants at HF Reg Edwards Antenna 104 June 25th 05 10:46 PM
swr question Fred W4JLE Antenna 27 June 1st 05 01:45 AM
Phone line as SW antenna [04-Apr-00] William Mcfadden Shortwave 0 December 1st 03 08:00 AM