Old November 5th 05, 02:39 AM
Dave Pitzer

Default Receiving WWV signal on computer

Is there a URL where I can hear WWV time signals & announcments? (I realize
there is latency that effect the accuracy but this kis unimportant for my
purpose.)

Thank you,

Dave Pitz

Old November 5th 05, 02:51 AM
Ed

:

Is there a URL where I can hear WWV time signals & announcments? (I
realize there is latency that effect the accuracy but this kis
unimportant for my purpose.)

WWV is operated by the National Institute of Standards & Technology.

http://www.nist.gov/

Time signals are available at:

http://nist.time.gov/

Ed K7AAT
Old November 5th 05, 02:58 AM
Dave Pitzer

Ed:

Perfect!! Thanks!

Dave

"Ed" wrote in message
. 92.175...
:

Old November 5th 05, 03:14 PM
Caveat Lector

Whoa -- you sed times and ANNOUNCEMENTS the NIST site gives times only

If you want the announcements -- try an on-line web receiver - see URL:
http://ac6v.com/swl1.htm#WC

Also you can download a program that automatically updates your computer
clock upon bootup or command so it is accurate within fractions of
seconds -- so at anytime just look at your computer clock

See URL
http://ac6v.com/opaids.htm#CLOCK

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"Dave Pitzer" wrote in message
Ed:

Perfect!! Thanks!

Dave

"Ed" wrote in message
. 92.175...
:

Old November 5th 05, 06:27 PM
Jim - NN7K

Also, if you want to sync your computer to a time standard,
do a search on "Dimension 4" when set up, will adjust your
computer clock to the reference (and there are several, along
with NIST) Jim NN7k

Dave Pitzer wrote:
Ed:

Perfect!! Thanks!

Dave

"Ed" wrote in message
. 92.175...

:

Old November 5th 05, 07:56 PM
Owen Duffy

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 18:27:30 GMT, Jim - NN7K
wrote:

Also, if you want to sync your computer to a time standard,
do a search on "Dimension 4" when set up, will adjust your
computer clock to the reference (and there are several, along
with NIST) Jim NN7k

D4 works well, but you don't necessarily need to add software, some
operating systems support sntp natively... eg Win 2K and XP. You just
have to work out how to activate it.

Doesn't everyone syncronise their computer clock nowadays?

Owen
Old November 6th 05, 12:42 AM
Earl Needham

news
wrote:

Also, if you want to sync your computer to a time standard,
do a search on "Dimension 4" when set up, will adjust your
computer clock to the reference (and there are several, along
with NIST) Jim NN7k

D4 works well, but you don't necessarily need to add software, some
operating systems support sntp natively... eg Win 2K and XP. You just
have to work out how to activate it.

I must be the only one still using Windows 2000 Pro at my home. It
works well, so I'm in no hurry to "upgrade" to anything else.

But HOW do you make W2K support sntp? I've never found that option, and
I use an external program to make it work.

Thanks,
Earl
--
Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico USA

Old November 6th 05, 01:51 AM
Owen Duffy

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:42:09 -0700, "Earl Needham"
wrote:

But HOW do you make W2K support sntp? I've never found that option, and
I use an external program to make it work.

You configure and start the Time32 service. These articles should be
helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q246/1/45.ASP

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../TimeWin2K.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223184/

If after you have done the net time /setsntp thing and started the
service and it still doesn't work, it is because some registry
settings are not correct. I have a .reg file with them in, but not
with me. See the second article. IIRC XP is just as unornery.

For sntp servers, have a browse to pool.ntp.org.

Owen
Old November 6th 05, 02:33 AM
Ed

But HOW do you make W2K support sntp? I've never found that
option, and
I use an external program to make it work.

Thanks,
Earl

Interesting info at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l=/library/en-
us/dnw2kmag01/html/TimeWin2K.asp

Ed K7AAT
Old November 6th 05, 02:38 PM
Earl Needham

wrote:

But HOW do you make W2K support sntp? I've never found that option,

and
I use an external program to make it work.

You configure and start the Time32 service. These articles should be
helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q246/1/45.ASP

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../TimeWin2K.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223184/

Wow, I didn't know you could do that! This is handy indeed!

7 3
Earl
KD5XB
--