Old November 7th 05, 06:07 PM
RB

Default ladderline to coax adapter

Got a Radio Works choke balun I'd like to use for feeding ladderline out of
an unbalanced tuner.

The balun has coax fittings on each end.

Ladderline doesn't adapt well to coax interfaces.

What's the best way to put ladderline to my balun coax fitting?

I can kluge a PL-259 plug onto the ladderline.

I guess I could also stick one side of the ladderline in the center hole of
the chassis coac fitting, and clamp the other side to the threaded part of
the chassis fitting.

Ideas solicited.

Old November 7th 05, 06:37 PM
Ed

Got a Radio Works choke balun I'd like to use for feeding ladderline
out of an unbalanced tuner.

I'm sure others here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that
what you want to do is a very bad idea. Baluns are not meant to operate
under the potential very high SWR conditions you are likely to have on the
output of your tuner. Damage to the balun is likely. Besides, what is the
point of a balun on your tuner's output if you are using ladderline,
anyway?

Ed K7AAT
Old November 7th 05, 07:23 PM

Why are you using a choke at that point in the system? You should use
either a 1:1 or 4:1 current balun to go from coax to ladderline..and
keep the coax VERY short to minimize losses on it due to high SWR. A
choke is for something entirely different.

Jim/K2TL

Old November 7th 05, 07:52 PM
Cecil Moore

RB wrote:
Got a Radio Works choke balun I'd like to use for feeding ladderline out of
an unbalanced tuner.

The balun has coax fittings on each end.

Sounds like it is actually a UNUN.

I can kluge a PL-259 plug onto the ladderline.

That will work. I usually just splice a short piece
of coax to the ladder-line.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 7th 05, 07:57 PM
Cecil Moore

Ed wrote:

Got a Radio Works choke balun I'd like to use for feeding ladderline
out of an unbalanced tuner.

I'm sure others here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that
what you want to do is a very bad idea. Baluns are not meant to operate
under the potential very high SWR conditions ...

It depends on whether the very high SWR is on the ladder-line
side or on the coax side. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 7th 05, 09:00 PM
RB

Thanks, Cecil. Guess that's what I'll do. I don't think there is any
"graceful" way of going from ladderline to coax.

}}} Sounds like it is actually a UNUN. {{{

I THOUGHT the choke baluns are unbalanced to balanced, and will work OK for
the purpose of feeding ladderline. Although they're electrically
symmetrical (unbalanced rf goes in one end, and balanced rf comes out the
other. Flip 'em around and it's the same, either way).

If they're not, I need to know it so I can go to another kind.

Old November 7th 05, 09:29 PM
Cecil Moore

RB wrote:
}}} Sounds like it is actually a UNUN. {{{

I THOUGHT the choke baluns are unbalanced to balanced, and will work OK for
the purpose of feeding ladderline.

I was half joking. A choke can often function equally well
as a UNUN or a BALUN. A W2DU choke, for instance, doesn't
"know" whether it is in a balanced or unbalanced environment.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 7th 05, 10:35 PM
Ed

Cecil Moore wrote in
. net:

Ed wrote:

Got a Radio Works choke balun I'd like to use for feeding ladderline
out of an unbalanced tuner.

I'm sure others here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe
that
what you want to do is a very bad idea. Baluns are not meant to
operate under the potential very high SWR conditions ...

It depends on whether the very high SWR is on the ladder-line
side or on the coax side. :-)

Well, he said "OUT of an unbalanced tuner" so I assume that's the
ladderline side.

Ed K7AAT
Old November 7th 05, 10:39 PM
Ed

Cecil Moore wrote in
. net:

RB wrote:
}}} Sounds like it is actually a UNUN. {{{

I THOUGHT the choke baluns are unbalanced to balanced, and will work
OK for the purpose of feeding ladderline.

I was half joking. A choke can often function equally well
as a UNUN or a BALUN. A W2DU choke, for instance, doesn't
"know" whether it is in a balanced or unbalanced environment.

Guys, please help me here. You are talking about UNUNs and BALUNs.
A balanced tuner OUTPUT to ladderline is BALANCED TO BALANCED , isn't
it? Why the need for anything, there?

Ed K7AAT