Old November 8th 05, 07:11 AM
nospam

Default new babe to RFID design want to ask some question

I am a software engineer and I know nothing about hardware
design....

Recently I am asked to collect some information about the components
of
RFID reader that can read ISO-18000-6 (Type A) tag. The tag works in
the UHF
band (860-930 MHz). I have some question but I don't have any friend
that
have RFID experience. I would really appreciate if you could kindly
answer
the questions below.....

1) The operational principle of this kind of tag is "backscatter
coupling". However, I am not sure how the reader distinguish the
forward
signal and the backscattered signal, which of the same frequency. I
read
some information from internet and someone mentioned about the
"directional
coupler". Is directional coupler really used in a typical UHF RFID
reader?
If so, could you kindly recommend a brand and the model number of
directional coupler that can be used in RFID reader?

2) The reader is supposed to be used in a cashier of shop. The range
of
distance of the reader to the tag is about 30cm. Do you have some
typical
power values that the reader need to send and the power of the
backscattered
signal? I need this kind of figure because I was ask to choose the
transceiver IC and I wonder if the power is enough. Do you have any
recommendation of transceiver IC?

3) About the antenna. I found some paper mention about 4 phased
array, which is good for sending RF signal in one direction. Have
anyone used it before? If yes, where can I found it? Any brand name or
model number recommend?

4) Do you have any reference design / paper on the design of RFID
reader?

Thanks in advance.

NOSPAM

Old November 8th 05, 12:15 PM
Dave

first, as a software engineer you need to learn how to use google and other
search engines. all the details you are asking about are out there... in
excruciating detail in some cases. second, if you are doing software why
don't you just go buy the hardware from someone who has already done all the
design and testing and just use their system? or get a hardware engineer to
do what they do best and figure out what your system requirements need?
there are probably dozens of off the shelf rfid manufacturers out there,
just pick the range and type of data you need and you should be able to find
one that will give you just what you want.

oups.com...

Old November 8th 05, 02:27 PM
Mike Luther

Just wondering ..

Dave wrote:

why
don't you just go buy the hardware from someone who has already done all the
design and testing and just use their system? or get a hardware engineer to
do what they do best and figure out what your system requirements need?
there are probably dozens of off the shelf rfid manufacturers out there,
just pick the range and type of data you need and you should be able to find
one that will give you just what you want.

What RF hash level at the used frequency or frequencies can trash the
operational effectiveness of the currently 'of interest' RFID devices
and systems? A watt or two from how many feet away? How many more
watts from how much further away could ruin a perceived 'secure' technology?

Inquiring mind wants to know.

W5WQN

--

-- Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

Mike Luther
Old November 9th 05, 05:26 AM
gb

oups.com...

"Dave" wrote in message
first, as a software engineer you need to learn how to use google and
other search engines. all the details you are asking about are out
there... in excruciating detail in some cases. second, if you are doing
software why don't you just go buy the hardware from someone who has
already done all the design and testing and just use their system? or get
a hardware engineer to do what they do best and figure out what your
system requirements need? there are probably dozens of off the shelf rfid
manufacturers out there, just pick the range and type of data you need and
you should be able to find one that will give you just what you want.

Or look at the RFID Journal
http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/a...view/1951/1/1/

gb