Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 16th 05, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Paladin

Default feedlines and strange intereactions

Hi Group,
Recently,I put up a linear-loaded dipole for
160-10m. It's ladderline,4/1 balun,
to coax,to good brand auto-tuner. It's supposed to work with 100ft.
of ladderline,BUT....
It wouldn't cover the lower portions of 160. To get this antenna to
work on 160, I had to cut
off 20ft. of ladderline, AND also use a 50ft. piece of coax! I tried
using only 20ft. of coax
because that's all I need to get to my tuner,but it didn't work! ! !
What happened here, to me,goes against almost everything
that I learned about
feedlines! Change the lenth of coax ? The 100ft. of ladderline
was at least 1/4 wavelenth
of 160,right? The feedpoint is at 55ft. on a tower ( about 2ft.
away the tower) the ends are
in an inverted-"V" at about 15ft. above the ground. I do have a 80m/
272ft. loop also in the
1/8 of an acre back yard. Some small 2 & 6m beams hung of the
tower,not near enough to
cause intereaction. WHY AM I HAVING such a hard time getting this
antenna to cover
this bandspread ??? Also, IF I have a multi-band antenna,feed with
ladderline ONLY, to
a very good tuner; Why are the signals that I rercieve on the higher
bands,(160-10m)
usually SO LOW in strength ? Ex: On 160 or 80,the antennas s-meter
usually reads
over s-9 at night,o.k. Now, the same antenna on 10m or 20m during
the day are reading
very low; mostly around 3's and 4's. I guess that I really don't
think that calling THESE
antennas "a 160-10m antenna" or my Loop a 80-10m antenna! ! I've
had both antennas
up now for at least a month. Signals for 20m-10m need a different
antenna, In my
opinion. BUT, I'm still trying to understand exactly just WHAT
antennas can or cannot
do for me.
73's,and keep
radio-active,