Old November 27th 05, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dick, AA5VU

Default Got Lucky on Six meters w/Fan Dipole

I picked up a new (to me) TS-570S(G) so I can start working six meters.
I do not have a dedicated six meter antenna so I decided to try my Fan
dipole. It was a 40/80 W9INN dipole that I modified for 18 MHz and 10
MHz by adding two sets of wires. I tried it on 50.125 and rig loves it.
I can get full power with whisper of SWR that the TS-570S can easily
handle.

The SWR on 51 and 52 MHz is not that good; however, the auto-tuner makes
the 570 smile. I am not really concerned as I plan operate mostly at
50 MHz.

Something tells me the 18 MHz wires are semi-resonant at 50 MHz
and I got lucky.

73, Dick AA5VU
Old November 27th 05, 03:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Dick, AA5VU wrote:
Something tells me the 18 MHz wires are semi-resonant at 50 MHz
and I got lucky.

If the 40m dipole is still intact, 50/7.14 = 7
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 27th 05, 03:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Scott

50 Mhz is around the 3rd harmonic of 18 MHz, so you basically have a 1.5
wavelength dipole for 50 MHz. Since the 3rd harmonic is normally about
54 MHz, I suspect all the other dipoles are affecting it slightly and
the rig likes it. Sounds like a good benefit from those "interfering"
dipoles

Scott
N0EDV

Old November 27th 05, 02:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
aRKay

In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

Dick, AA5VU wrote:
Something tells me the 18 MHz wires are semi-resonant at 50 MHz
and I got lucky.

If the 40m dipole is still intact, 50/7.14 = 7

Like I sad,..... I just got lucky. It was not planned.

I am wondering if there would be any benefit to adding a set of wires
for 50 MHz
Old November 27th 05, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Scott

WHAT!?!? And potentially screw up a good thing?

Maybe it's warm where you are, but antenna modification season has ended
here in Wisconsin (for the most part!)

Scott
N0EDV

Old November 27th 05, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Scott wrote:
Maybe it's warm where you are, but antenna modification season has ended
here in Wisconsin (for the most part!)

Here in East Texas close to Texas A&M, the expected high
is 84 degrees today with lots of sun and wind.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 27th 05, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Topaz305RK

Just starting antenna mod session here in Montana. One is required to have
the temp no higher than zero, winds in excess of 30 mph and snowing so that
vis is down to a max of 1/4 mile. With those conditions the antenna you
erect is bound to be just darn near perfect, why, because you have shown the
antenna gods that you are truly worthy.

Sam

Old November 27th 05, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry

Scott wrote:
Maybe it's warm where you are, but antenna modification season has ended
here in Wisconsin (for the most part!)

Here in East Texas close to Texas A&M, the expected high
is 84 degrees today with lots of sun and wind.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Ya like to rub it in, eh?

Jerry (Here, 40's with a chilly rain. )

Old November 27th 05, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dick, AA5VU

In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

Maybe it's warm where you are, but antenna modification season has ended
here in Wisconsin (for the most part!)

Here in East Texas close to Texas A&M, the expected high
is 84 degrees today with lots of sun and wind.

Winter was cancelled in 2004 due to lack of participation and I think we
are in for the same this year. Like Cecil, the high in the Capital was
about 86 yesterday.