RadioBanter

-   -   OFF TOPIC, but how do y'all read these news groups? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/83350-off-topic-but-how-do-yall-read-these-news-groups.html)

[email protected] December 1st 05 10:02 PM

OFF TOPIC, but how do y'all read these news groups?

Note the multi-group posting.

For 18 years, I've been reading newgroups on Unix (or Linux) machines,
first using "rn" (readnews) and later "nn" (netnews), but now my ISP
(Kansas State University) has notified me that, because their news server
is getting old and because I'm one of only a very few users, they are
dropping the service as of 28 December.

So I need to find an alternative way of getting my daily "fix";
I sure hope someone has suggestion(s)!
--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge

clifto December 1st 05 10:29 PM

wrote:
So I need to find an alternative way of getting my daily "fix";
I sure hope someone has suggestion(s)!

You can buy a super duper feed from Supernews. For less money, you can
get a good feed (text only IIRC) from news.individual.net.

Guess we're not in Kansas any more.

Bill December 1st 05 10:36 PM

clifto wrote:

wrote:

So I need to find an alternative way of getting my daily "fix";
I sure hope someone has suggestion(s)!

You can buy a super duper feed from Supernews. For less money, you can
get a good feed (text only IIRC) from news.individual.net.

Guess we're not in Kansas any more.

add teranews.com to the list

Chuck Harris December 1st 05 10:59 PM

wrote:
Note the multi-group posting.

For 18 years, I've been reading newgroups on Unix (or Linux) machines,
first using "rn" (readnews) and later "nn" (netnews), but now my ISP
(Kansas State University) has notified me that, because their news server
is getting old and because I'm one of only a very few users, they are
dropping the service as of 28 December.

So I need to find an alternative way of getting my daily "fix";
I sure hope someone has suggestion(s)!

My ISP still provides usenet, but you can always go to google groups,
and read and post for free. There are other free news providers that
have web portals as well.

-Chuck

Cecil Moore December 1st 05 11:32 PM

wrote:
So I need to find an alternative way of getting my daily "fix";
I sure hope someone has suggestion(s)!

Who's your ISP? SBCGlobal.net supplies a news-server.
Google's newsgroup server is now close to real-time.
Or try:
http://www.usenet-access.com/contactus.asp
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Scott Dorsey December 1st 05 11:42 PM

In article , wrote:
For 18 years, I've been reading newgroups on Unix (or Linux) machines,
first using "rn" (readnews) and later "nn" (netnews), but now my ISP
(Kansas State University) has notified me that, because their news server
is getting old and because I'm one of only a very few users, they are
dropping the service as of 28 December.

If you like using the old rn, nn, and tin servers, get a shell account
from Panix. You can telnet or ssh in from anywhere in the world, type
"rn" at the shell prompt and go. And it's ten bucks a month and the
tech support is better than you've ever had from Computer Services at KSU.
--scott

Ken Scharf December 2nd 05 03:39 AM

Bill wrote:
clifto wrote:

wrote:

So I need to find an alternative way of getting my daily "fix";
I sure hope someone has suggestion(s)!

You can buy a super duper feed from Supernews. For less money, you can
get a good feed (text only IIRC) from news.individual.net.

Guess we're not in Kansas any more.

add teranews.com to the list

teranews.com is ok, free (nominal one time setup charge)
but they go up and down like a yo-yo.

Highland Ham December 2nd 05 12:39 PM

OFF TOPIC, but how do y'all read these news groups?

You can access newsgroups via Google ,but I believe you then need a
gmail e-mail address ,which is free anyway.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH