Old December 1st 05, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default OFF TOPIC, but how do y'all read these news groups?

Note the multi-group posting.

For 18 years, I've been reading newgroups on Unix (or Linux) machines,
first using "rn" (readnews) and later "nn" (netnews), but now my ISP
(Kansas State University) has notified me that, because their news server
is getting old and because I'm one of only a very few users, they are
dropping the service as of 28 December.

So I need to find an alternative way of getting my daily "fix";
I sure hope someone has suggestion(s)!
--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
Old December 1st 05, 10:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
John, N9JG

Check out https://www.altopia.com/

"Bill" wrote in message
clifto wrote:

wrote:

So I need to find an alternative way of getting my daily "fix";
I sure hope someone has suggestion(s)!

You can buy a super duper feed from Supernews. For less money, you can
get a good feed (text only IIRC) from news.individual.net.

Guess we're not in Kansas any more.

add teranews.com to the list

Old December 1st 05, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Cecil Moore

wrote:
So I need to find an alternative way of getting my daily "fix";
I sure hope someone has suggestion(s)!

Who's your ISP? SBCGlobal.net supplies a news-server.
Google's newsgroup server is now close to real-time.
Or try:
http://www.usenet-access.com/contactus.asp
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old December 1st 05, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Scott Dorsey

In article , wrote:
For 18 years, I've been reading newgroups on Unix (or Linux) machines,
first using "rn" (readnews) and later "nn" (netnews), but now my ISP
(Kansas State University) has notified me that, because their news server
is getting old and because I'm one of only a very few users, they are
dropping the service as of 28 December.

If you like using the old rn, nn, and tin servers, get a shell account
from Panix. You can telnet or ssh in from anywhere in the world, type
"rn" at the shell prompt and go. And it's ten bucks a month and the
tech support is better than you've ever had from Computer Services at KSU.
--scott
Old December 2nd 05, 12:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Highland Ham

You can access newsgroups via Google ,but I believe you then need a
gmail e-mail address ,which is free anyway.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

wrote:====================

Note the multi-group posting.

For 18 years, I've been reading newgroups on Unix (or Linux) machines,
first using "rn" (readnews) and later "nn" (netnews), but now my ISP
(Kansas State University) has notified me that, because their news server
is getting old and because I'm one of only a very few users, they are
dropping the service as of 28 December.

So I need to find an alternative way of getting my daily "fix";
I sure hope someone has suggestion(s)!

Beware of hams planting dis-information... John Smith CB 371 June 16th 05 10:21 PM
money!!! [email protected] Antenna 0 January 3rd 05 09:49 PM
money!!! [email protected] Antenna 0 January 3rd 05 06:07 PM
What is the typical price/length of a syndicated radio news contract? Scott McCollum Broadcasting 4 April 20th 04 09:08 PM