Old December 22nd 05, 12:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Robert11

Default To Reg Edwards et al: Questions On Inverted L

Hello, and aHappy Holidays,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions re Slopers.
Am pretty new at this, and find antennas a fascinating, and quite confusing,
subject.
Lots to learn, but fun doing so.

Have a JRC 545 which I really love, but obviously am not using to its full
potential.
Just have a random length wire running around my attic.
Do listening only, from 30 MHz on down. Would really want something very
close to omni for antenna.

Once it warms up a bit, I plan on putting up outside either a PAR SWL-EFL
end fed in an Inverted-L configuration,
or possibly an Alpha Delta, or similar, Sloper.

My thinking right now is for the PAR as an Inverted-L.

Would like to ask if you have any thoughts on the PAR ?

a. e.g., in practice, is it also omni, or should I try and orient it ?
If so, is it most sensitive perpendicular to the horiz. wire axis ?

b. what would be the best ratio between the horiz. and vert. legs ?

c. I guess the end of the vertical leg should be very, very close to the
Balun and ground
bar I'll be putting in. But, how does one handle 4' snow drifts getting
over the Balun, etc. Is this Coax Sealer product good enough ?
Or, should I just raise the end about 4' and run some braid from the Balun
to the ground bar ?

You seem very knowledgeable on all of this "black magic" so any other hints
or opinions
re the PAR, or mtg and using it, would be most appreciated.

Thanks, and best regards,
Bob
------------------
For practical receiving purposes, a sloping wire, in the midst of
buildings, can be considered to be omi-directional, even isotropic.
Any variations in directivity, in either the vertical or horizontal
planes, although they exist, are not measurable or noticeable. The
random effect of the presence of a nearby building or buildings is
greater than the direction in which the wire may or may not slope

Old December 23rd 05, 12:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Miller

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 07:27:19 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello, and aHappy Holidays,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions re Slopers.
Am pretty new at this, and find antennas a fascinating, and quite confusing,
subject.
Lots to learn, but fun doing so.

Have a JRC 545 which I really love, but obviously am not using to its full
potential.
Just have a random length wire running around my attic.
Do listening only, from 30 MHz on down. Would really want something very
close to omni for antenna.

Once it warms up a bit, I plan on putting up outside either a PAR SWL-EFL
end fed in an Inverted-L configuration,
or possibly an Alpha Delta, or similar, Sloper.

About 15 years ago, I put up the Alpha Delta swl sloper, hooked to a
JRC NRD 525. That was an excellent combination; strong signals. This
particular antenna is quite heavy duty, and may be a good choice for
your snowy conditions.

Have a happy...

bob
k5qwg

Old December 23rd 05, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison

Bob wrote:
"What would be the best ratio between horiz. and vert. legs?"

Short answer: Zero. All the wire should be vertical for best results.

Try to borrow a copy of ON4UN`s "Low-Band DXing" published by ARRL. Look
at page 9-48 for the radiation resistance (good) for an inverted-L with
various ratios of horizontal and vertical portions. Mistly, this is a
vertical antenna with the forizontal section providing top-loading.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI