RadioBanter

-   -   Crimp, Clamp or Solder? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/84871-crimp-clamp-solder.html)

Chris W December 23rd 05 07:05 AM

Crimp, Clamp or Solder?

I am new in ham radio and want to get set up to make the coax assemblies
I will inevitably be needing in the future. I am planing on using only
LMR style coax 240, 400, 600 and maybe some 900 if I get into the 1.2ghz
stuff. So is it better to use the crimp, clamp or solder on
connectors. In the case of the center conductor, there are some where
that is solder and the outer is crimp or clamp so is crimp and or clamp
ok for the outer conductor and solder better for the inner? I welcome
all points of view on this. Thanks for you input.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com

'Doc December 23rd 05 11:22 AM

Crimp, Clamp or Solder?

Chris,
Solder.
'Doc

Bob Miller December 23rd 05 12:12 PM

Crimp, Clamp or Solder?

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:05:36 -0600, Chris W wrote:

I am new in ham radio and want to get set up to make the coax assemblies
I will inevitably be needing in the future. I am planing on using only
LMR style coax 240, 400, 600 and maybe some 900 if I get into the 1.2ghz
stuff. So is it better to use the crimp, clamp or solder on
connectors. In the case of the center conductor, there are some where
that is solder and the outer is crimp or clamp so is crimp and or clamp
ok for the outer conductor and solder better for the inner? I welcome
all points of view on this. Thanks for you input.

As Doc said, solder.

Get a Weller SP-120 soldering iron. It's 120 watts. About $46. You can
typically find it by Googling.

You'll need that kind of heat to solder coax connector outer shells to
the braid. Get the ARRL Handbook, and look at their pages on soldering
coax connectors.

Bob
k5qwg

Chuck S. December 23rd 05 01:51 PM

Crimp, Clamp or Solder?

Clamp types have cause me problems over the years, stay away from them.
Crimp type work ok in the shack but not out side for a long time. Solder it
by far the best way to go. Another type that works good outside is
compression clamps. The ones meant to be used with hard line. They cost
more, but unless you like climbing up a 60 foot tower in a contest, they are
worth the cost!

Chuck WA3IAC

Topaz305RK December 23rd 05 02:18 PM

Crimp, Clamp or Solder?

Solder - the only way to go.

Also, check out The WireMan ( http://thewireman.com/index.shtml ) for coax,
connectors and their cat. (Wirebook III) has a real good section on
soldering.

K7SAM

Luke December 23rd 05 03:43 PM

Crimp, Clamp or Solder?

hi Chris,

Welmcome to ham radio, I am sure you will enjoy it
as much as the rest of us have !

Since you are starting out, to solder you just need
the iron, 100-120 watts with chisel tip is just fine,
don't attempt with the lower wattage units, you end
up damaging the coax dielectric and have more problems.

Crimps have their place, but, you will need to buy or
borrow the crimp frame tool along with the correct
dies for the connectors you want to crimp.
This is a lot more expensive then the solder iron.

Be sure to buy and use name brand connectors,
quality is worth the price, you buy it once.
You can get a bag of the cheap ones to practice
with and then use the good Amphenol or other brands.

http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/a...ctions/274.pdf

The above pdf has installation instructions.

73 Luke

Irv Finkleman December 23rd 05 04:37 PM

Crimp, Clamp or Solder?

Luke wrote:

hi Chris,

Welmcome to ham radio, I am sure you will enjoy it
as much as the rest of us have !

Since you are starting out, to solder you just need
the iron, 100-120 watts with chisel tip is just fine,
don't attempt with the lower wattage units, you end
up damaging the coax dielectric and have more problems.

Crimps have their place, but, you will need to buy or
borrow the crimp frame tool along with the correct
dies for the connectors you want to crimp.
This is a lot more expensive then the solder iron.

Be sure to buy and use name brand connectors,
quality is worth the price, you buy it once.
You can get a bag of the cheap ones to practice
with and then use the good Amphenol or other brands.

http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/a...ctions/274.pdf

The above pdf has installation instructions.

73 Luke

If you follow the amphenol instructions, they omit one thing. Take a little
extra fine grit paper and clean the areas where you will be applying the
solder. It can never be too clean, and there is often a little corrosive
film which you cannot always see with the eye that develops over time.

Irv VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001

Tam/WB2TT December 23rd 05 05:14 PM

Crimp, Clamp or Solder?

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
[...]

A ~200W soldering gun from Radio Shack or Home Depot will also work fine.

Tam/WB2TT

Ed December 23rd 05 06:35 PM

Crimp, Clamp or Solder?

Crimp connectors work just fine when done properly, but I would not use
them on anything above 2M. You will find the compression type fittings
for larger coax and heliax superior to anything else for microwave work.

But most will probably suggest generally a good soldered connector the
best for most apps.

If you have the money, the best iron for soldering coax connectors
would be one such as made by American Beauty..... but very pricey. A hefty
Weller gun will suffice if funds are limited.

Ed K7AAT

Dave Platt December 23rd 05 06:39 PM

Crimp, Clamp or Solder?

In article ,
Bob Miller wrote:

Get a Weller SP-120 soldering iron. It's 120 watts. About $46. You can
typically find it by Googling.

You'll need that kind of heat to solder coax connector outer shells to
the braid. Get the ARRL Handbook, and look at their pages on soldering
coax connectors.

Another trick: it's usually possible to solder the outer shells into
place with a lower-wattage gun, if you first pre-heat the whole
assembly with a hot air gun (hair dryer might work). This can be
gentler on the coax (and its meltable internal insulation) than just
hitting the shell with a soldering iron and waiting for the shell to
soak up enough heat to allow the solder to melt.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO