Old December 26th 05, 08:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Chris W

Default More connectors

Tell me why can't one place stock and sale all the connectors I want?
What a pain. I'm curious if someone knows of an online source that
stocks all of the following

Cable Ends
N Male crimp for LMR 240
N Female crimp for LMR 240
N Male crimp for LMR 400
N Female crimp for LMR 400
N Male crimp for LMR 600
N Female crimp for LMR 600
SMA Male Crimp for LMR 240
SMA Female Bulkhead Crimp for LMR 240

Adapters
N Male to UHF Female
N Female to UHF Male
N Male to SMA Female

BTW, who is the inept clueless moron that decided UHF Female should be
called SO-239 and UHF Male should be called PL-259? And why do people
still call them that? While I'm ranting, they should rename it to VHF
or maybe even HF, it certainly shouldn't be called a UHF connector.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old December 26th 05, 08:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Popelish

Chris W wrote:
(snip)
BTW, who is the inept clueless moron that decided UHF Female should be
called SO-239 and UHF Male should be called PL-259? And why do people
still call them that? While I'm ranting, they should rename it to VHF
or maybe even HF, it certainly shouldn't be called a UHF connector.

The SOcket-239 is obviously the female half and the PLug-239 is the
male half, if you are into innies and outies.

This page has a pretty good description of various connectors:
http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~kuester/Coax/connchart.htm
and mo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_connector

Old December 26th 05, 02:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Miller

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 02:34:02 -0600, Chris W wrote:

Tell me why can't one place stock and sale all the connectors I want?
What a pain. I'm curious if someone knows of an online source that
stocks all of the following

Cable Ends
N Male crimp for LMR 240
N Female crimp for LMR 240
N Male crimp for LMR 400
N Female crimp for LMR 400
N Male crimp for LMR 600
N Female crimp for LMR 600
SMA Male Crimp for LMR 240
SMA Female Bulkhead Crimp for LMR 240

Adapters
N Male to UHF Female
N Female to UHF Male
N Male to SMA Female

http://www.thewireman.com

Call their phone number, and they should have whatever you need.

They also have a nice little book, The Wirebook IV, that explains a
lot of history about connectors, coax and wire.

bob
k5qwg

Old December 26th 05, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Chris W

John Popelish wrote:

Chris W wrote:
(snip)

BTW, who is the inept clueless moron that decided UHF Female should
be called SO-239 and UHF Male should be called PL-259? And why do
people still call them that? While I'm ranting, they should rename
it to VHF or maybe even HF, it certainly shouldn't be called a UHF
connector.

The SOcket-239 is obviously the female half and the PLug-239 is the
male half, if you are into innies and outies.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation for SO and PL, but it doesn't
explain the 239 vs 259

This page has a pretty good description of various connectors:
http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~kuester/Coax/connchart.htm
and mo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_connector

Thanks for the links

Old December 26th 05, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Popelish

Chris W wrote:
John Popelish wrote:

Chris W wrote:
(snip)

BTW, who is the inept clueless moron that decided UHF Female should
be called SO-239 and UHF Male should be called PL-259? And why do
people still call them that? While I'm ranting, they should rename
it to VHF or maybe even HF, it certainly shouldn't be called a UHF
connector.

The SOcket-239 is obviously the female half and the PLug-239 is the
male half, if you are into innies and outies.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation for SO and PL, but it doesn't
explain the 239 vs 259

I didn't even see that there were two numbers. These part numbers
were originally in a list of many variations in military part numbers.
Perhaps these two examples were just the most popular ones in that
list of variations.

Old December 27th 05, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dale Parfitt

"Chris W" wrote in message
John Popelish wrote:

Chris W wrote:
(snip)

BTW, who is the inept clueless moron that decided UHF Female should be
called SO-239 and UHF Male should be called PL-259? And why do people
still call them that? While I'm ranting, they should rename it to VHF
or maybe even HF, it certainly shouldn't be called a UHF connector.

Perhaps not exclusively UHF- but what do you perceive the problem of
SO-239/PL-259 at UHF- say 70cM? If it is loss, how much is the loss of a
mated pair?

Dale W4OP

Old December 27th 05, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:39:27 GMT, "Dale Parfitt"
wrote:

Perhaps not exclusively UHF- but what do you perceive the problem of
SO-239/PL-259 at UHF- say 70cM? If it is loss, how much is the loss of a
mated pair?

Though people often concern themselves about whether UHF connectors
introduce significant impedance mismatch / loss, to my mind the much
greater problem is their reliability.

The 'outer' connection depends on being properly seated and coupling
ring tightened very tight for reliable connection. The connectors work
loose readily and are then unreliable at any frequency.

UHF connectors are an example of a poor design that will probably
never be displaced from the amateur market.

Owen