Old December 27th 05, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Charlie

Default 6M stacked loops - best height above ground?

Currently the top loop is at only 20ft but I am making many contacts. Soon
however they will be placed off a sidearm on the tower.
The top loop could then be as high as 80 ft.

I have read and read about this topic. Does anyone have any first hand
knowledge of 6M height above ground comparisons especially for stacked
loops? Thanks....

--

Charlie-AD5TH

Old December 28th 05, 03:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:52:54 -0600, "Charlie"
wrote:

Currently the top loop is at only 20ft but I am making many contacts. Soon
however they will be placed off a sidearm on the tower.
The top loop could then be as high as 80 ft.

I have read and read about this topic. Does anyone have any first hand
knowledge of 6M height above ground comparisons especially for stacked
loops? Thanks....

You really want the lower of the two higher than 20ft.

It's really simple, higher is better. We are talking VHF and if there
is nothing going on propagation wise then height above average terrain
determines what your radio horizon will be. For that higher wins.

Simply put, 80ft will be much better than 20 and only slightly better
than 40.

Allison
Old December 28th 05, 03:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bill Turner

wrote:

Currently the top loop is at only 20ft but I am making many contacts. Soon
however they will be placed off a sidearm on the tower.
The top loop could then be as high as 80 ft.

I have read and read about this topic. Does anyone have any first hand
knowledge of 6M height above ground comparisons especially for stacked
loops? Thanks....

I'm not that sure about loops, but for yagis working DX, the optimum
height seems to be about 35 feet. Higher is better for ground wave,
but for DX, 35 is best, believe it or not. This has been proven with
crank up towers many times. It may well be the same for loops.

73, Bill W6WRT
Old December 28th 05, 07:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Hal Rosser

"Charlie" wrote in message
Currently the top loop is at only 20ft but I am making many contacts.

Soon
however they will be placed off a sidearm on the tower.
The top loop could then be as high as 80 ft.

I have read and read about this topic. Does anyone have any first hand
knowledge of 6M height above ground comparisons especially for stacked
loops? Thanks....

6m is line-of-sight, so higher is better than lower.
If you have the opportunity to put it 80 ft high - do it.
why are you stacking loops? why not make a quad ?

Old December 28th 05, 10:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Charlie

Hi Bill...this is also what I have found to be the crux of my dilemma. If I
should strive to optimize height for DX or terrestrial contacts.
I have need for both so I am going to need to compromise a bit. TY again for
your input.

--

Charlie

Old December 28th 05, 11:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Piggin

Currently the top loop is at only 20ft but I am making many contacts. Soon
however they will be placed off a sidearm on the tower.
The top loop could then be as high as 80 ft.

I have read and read about this topic. Does anyone have any first hand
knowledge of 6M height above ground comparisons especially for stacked
loops? Thanks....

Charlie, Try asking these guys. WWW.uksmg.org 73's De Dave M1BTI

--
Amateur Radio Call Sign M1BTI, Located in Manchester England.
Locator square IO83TK
Old December 28th 05, 12:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:33:45 -0500, "Hal Rosser"
wrote:

"Charlie" wrote in message
Currently the top loop is at only 20ft but I am making many contacts.

Soon
however they will be placed off a sidearm on the tower.
The top loop could then be as high as 80 ft.

I have read and read about this topic. Does anyone have any first hand
knowledge of 6M height above ground comparisons especially for stacked
loops? Thanks....

6m is line-of-sight, so higher is better than lower.
If you have the opportunity to put it 80 ft high - do it.
why are you stacking loops? why not make a quad ?

I can answer for him. Stacked loops offer some amount of gain
but are omnidirectional. A 2 element quad, offers slightly more gain
but is directional. If both are on the SIDE of a tower, one has to
be turned and is expensive to do that.

Actually a single loop has better high angle when mounted high up
than a stacked pair.

After trying a lot of 6m antennas. Quads with wires thinner than 1/4"
are only ok but doo poorly with ice and high wind. I'd do a yagi of
4 or more elements for gain and F/B and a loop up high for local
nets(omni).

Allison

Old December 28th 05, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob

Hi Charlie

I have read some of the responses you have received already. As you
asked for first hand experience I hadnt commented initially.

I wonder if you have tried modelling your configuration with height
variables and applying the resultant radiation pattern to propagation
modes? I'd suggest ground conditions for your area also need to be
entered. I seem to remember from my dim dark past that ground
reflections (and hence undesirable skyward radiation - often not usually
an issue on VHF) are more of a problem when using a lower gain antenna.
Maybe the loop in that respect might be worse than a quad/yagi?

You'd be able to see the dB per foot height changes that occur and make
a judgement from that.

I have never used horiz loops on 6m.

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA East Texas

Old December 28th 05, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Allodoxaphobia

"Charlie" wrote in message
Currently the top loop is at only 20ft but I am making many contacts.

Soon
however they will be placed off a sidearm on the tower.
The top loop could then be as high as 80 ft.

I have read and read about this topic. Does anyone have any first hand
knowledge of 6M height above ground comparisons especially for stacked
loops? Thanks....

6m is line-of-sight, so higher is better than lower.

IT IS??? !!! Then, I guess my confirmed QSO's with Japan, Australia,
Greenland, Chile, and others -- plus all states except R.I. (sigh...)
from western Colorado (while running just 9.5 watts) simply never
happened.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __

Cold Water Pipe Ground? [email protected] Antenna 7 March 13th 05 03:12 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
Grounding Rod Alan J Giddings Shortwave 21 January 21st 04 10:10 PM