Old January 2nd 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jawod

Default Practical "ideal" antenna

What would you recommend for a wire antenna if there was enough room for
an 80 dipole? Assume use for 80M , 40M and 20M,

Thanks
Old January 2nd 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery

"jawod" wrote in message
What would you recommend for a wire antenna if there was enough room for
an 80 dipole? Assume use for 80M , 40M and 20M,

Use either an 80 meter dipole fed by open wire or one of the off center fed
dipoles, often called a Windom.

Old January 2nd 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
BKR

jawod wrote:
What would you recommend for a wire antenna if there was enough room for
an 80 dipole? Assume use for 80M , 40M and 20M,

Thanks

I would use a fan dipole because of the harmonic relationship between
the frequencies you wish to operate on. Others might use a
trap dipole but traps always have some loss involved and may fail due to
moisture.

KD5RPO
Old January 2nd 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bill Turner

Old January 2nd 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Oldridge

jawod wrote in :

What would you recommend for a wire antenna if there was enough room for
an 80 dipole? Assume use for 80M , 40M and 20M,

Go for height first, then for length. Just build the biggest, highest damn
dipole you can and feed it in the center with open wire line, 450 ohm line
or 300 ohm TV lead, whatever you can get. Tune it at the rig with a
balanced tuner. If need be fiddle with the feedline length until you can
get it to work on all the bands you wish to use it on.

I've never had this approach fail me. Of course if you want to work a lot
of DX on 80M, this is probably NOT the way to go (unless you can get it up
100 feet or more--at 300 feet it will sing no matter what you do, but you
need real trees for that kind of height).

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

Old January 2nd 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Registered User

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 22:42:53 -0500, jawod wrote:

What would you recommend for a wire antenna if there was enough room for
an 80 dipole? Assume use for 80M , 40M and 20M,

How wide is the area that can fit an 80M dipole? You should consider a
large horizontal loop aka Loop Skywire. I also use my loop on 6 and 2
meters with HB balanced tuners.

73 de n4jvp
Fritz
Old January 2nd 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

What would you recommend for a wire antenna if there was enough room
for
an 80 dipole? Assume use for 80M , 40M and 20M,

Myself, I prefer separate dipoles for 80,40,20 fed in parallel with a
single
coax feed. I spread the antennas far apart to minimize coupling.
Why? Pretty much standard dipole performance on each band.
No tuner needed, and thus no tuner losses. Instant band switching.
About as efficient as anything you can run for the bands it's
designed for. Of course, you would need six tie off points, but
those can be trees, fences, whatever.. In the winter I usually
convert my 20m legs to 160m. In that case, it's a 160m "Z"
dipole, and the normal 80 and 40 dipoles fed in parallel. But, so
far this year, I've been lazy and it's still in the summer mode with
80-40-20. The 160 legs have an insulator at the "20m" point, and
I bypass those for 160 with a jumper. I can also set it up to run
on 80m as a turnstile as the 160 legs also have insulators at
the "80m" points. Well...There you have it... MPG will vary... :/
MK

Old January 2nd 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
F4DRH

Hello

If you want to operate on several bands .... I recommand you the center
feeded dipole.
I use en 2 x 20 m in inverted V configuration. It works fine.

Antenna:
http://www.barbaxoops.com/modules/xc...&album=7&pos=3

Antenna tuner:
http://www.barbaxoops.com/modules/xc...&album=7&pos=0