Old March 4th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

Default radar and health ?

As an ex-RAF radar technician, during WW2 I have stood in the radar
beam, on many occasions, on the airfield runway and in the maintenance
workshop, just a few feet from the parabolic dish, of a 50 KW, 3
Gigahertz, airborne radar.

It was the radar which guided death-dealing machines to their targets,
the many incinerated German cities culminating in the innocent city of
Dresden - entirely destroyed just to educate the Russians whose tanks
were only a few hours away.

I was not warned of the possible dangers of such exposure. The powers
that be were not aware of them either in those days.

I am now in my 81st year. Still alive. I have fathered 5 healthy
children and have grandchildren. Draw your own conclusions about the
real dangers of electromagnetic radiation.
----
Reg.

Old March 4th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

"Dot" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 19:31:01 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

I am now in my 81st year. Still alive. I have fathered 5 healthy
children and have grandchildren. Draw your own conclusions about

the
real dangers of electromagnetic radiation.

In the interests of caution and safety... I would congratulate you

on
becoming an octogenarian, having a fine brood of kids and grandkids,

and I'd
wish to be so lucky... but then I'd remind you just how darned lucky

you
are.

I'm not lucky. I'm just an ordinary person. My genetic history
remains unaffected by high-power electromagnetic radiation. On the
contrary, it seems to have done me good!

But if I should eventually die with a brain tumour no doubt my
electromagnetic history will unjustly be blamed. ;o)
----
Reg.

Old March 4th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

Incidentally, in 1945, I was an unsuspecting guinea pig sent to the
radioactive aftermath of Hiroshima for a week or so.

Again, my genetic history appears to have remained unaffected.
Perhaps, as you say, I am lucky.

I am just another very minor statistic, like everybody else, in the
field of statistics and probability. See the widespread works of Sir
Ronald Arthur Fisher, the greatest statistician of all time who died
in the 1960's. Just imagine what he could have done with just a
modern pocket calculator, never mind a personal computer.
----
Reg.

Old March 5th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Me

In article ,
The Visitor wrote:

Me wrote:
7.6Kw Pulsed Xband Radars have an AVERAGE
Power of less than 20 watts.

I know it works in pulses and it is the pulse you should look out for.
Like a microwave oven , it can induce voltages in pieces of metal, high
enough to cause sparks. What would that do to a person with a pacemaker?

No, absolutly NOT, Microwave Ovens are NOT pusled, they are CW, and
continious. It is AVERAGE Power that fries you, not Peak Pulse Power.
See, this is what you seem not to understand, about the technology that
is being discussed. You don't seem to have a grasp of how the technolgy
works.

I only know the power rating.
I am not sure arcing incidents are that rare as I have met a couple of
people who claim to have seen it happen.

and I have meet a lot of people that claim to have seen and been
kidnapped by aliens, too......

If a hammer drops on your foot and then rests there for 20 minutes, is
it the pulse or the average force to look out for.

not analogous, at all, and just shows that yoiu don't undertand the
technology that you talking about.

My radar...

Peak Power Output: 7.5 KW nominal, 6.0 KW minimum

Output Frequency: 9375 Mhz (X-Band)

Most likely using a 2J42 Magnitron or equivilent....

I think it does 160 pulses per second.

that seems a bit low, should be in the 500 to 750 range, but ok..

and the Pulse Width, which you don't cite, is the determining factor
in calculating the Average Power of the RF Energy emitted from the
device. Typical Pulse Widths would be in the .1 to 1 microsecond range
for this type of radar. So lets take 1 microsecond.
1 * 160 = 160 microseconds total ON time out of 1000000 microsends/second
160.0/1000000 *7500 Watts Peak Pulse Power = 1.2 Watts Average Power

Now understand that RF Energy is nonIonizing radiation and therefore
interacts with biologics as HEAT. Now just how much heat will be
transfered to you from a 1.2 Watt light bulb held in your hand,
assuming that you get 100% capture of that power into your hand,
and considering that if your standing out in front of the antenna
even at one foot, the Inverse Square Law still applies?

You would be willing to take the full brunt of that one foot away? I
will be back at the airport this afternoon and ask for someone to hold
thier head up to the radome. I never went to radar school.

that is obvious....

I'll take your word for it, but I won't volunteer!

Me
Old March 6th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Litzendraht

Anyone that was involved with the Nike Hercules missile system in the
late Fifties and through the early Seventies was around high powered
pulse radar. It was deployed around major metropolitan areas in the
States and other places around the globe.

All the tracking stuff was short pulse "X" band and maybe a couple
hundred watts average.

But the big stuff was the acquistion or search radar that was "L" band.
The one I worked with in Korea was maybe 5 or 6 megawatts peak and 4 or
5 kw average on the "L" band.

Some Stateside sites had the big G.E. "L" band job that was fairly long
pulse and put out 10 megawatts peak and 18-20 kw average. I was real
pleased that it had a rack mounted Bird wattmeter and I was impressed
to see a solid 18-20 kw average power running through the waveguide to
the antenna.

The range radar was Ku band (15-17 kmc) (TRR to you Nike guys) and one
of the old timers I worked with told me that if you directed the
antenna towards an individual, he would feel the heat. And I'm sure
that's true. We're all familiar with microwave cooking.

John