Old January 11th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
george tibbetts

Default shorty forty (G5RV) little brother

Just read all msg on the g5rv question (wow) so let me introduce my
problem - I bought a shorty forty 2ys ago at a hamfest, now Im ready to use
it:

I have two poplar trees about 150ft fm house about sixty feet apart
(perfect) and a garden shed underneath almost centered. The shorty forty is
fed with (not measured) twin lead with a female coupler for a pl259 to get
to house. I have about 180ft of catv (75 ohm) . Question: should I use a 6
to 1 balun attached to shed or should I just attach the catv to the ladder
line and let it go. The vendor of the shorty forty assured me that I just
had to attach normal 50 ohm coax to the connector and I was ready to go. of
course I have a good tuner and used it many years with a van gorden g5rv and
did great but the van gordon came with a balun at the end of the twin lead.

thanks - george

Old January 11th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

george tibbetts wrote:
The shorty forty is
fed with (not measured) twin lead with a female coupler for a pl259 to get
to house. I have about 180ft of catv (75 ohm) . Question: should I use a 6
to 1 balun ...

Forget the 6:1 balun - install a 1:1 current choke-balun
at the coax/twinlead junction. The W2DU type works well.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

G5RV vs. G5RV Jr. Jim Leder Antenna 15 August 25th 04 02:12 AM
G5RV or 135 foot doublet or Carolina Windom? Jim Leder Antenna 3 May 22nd 04 03:43 PM
Does this Shorty Forty Antenna work? Alex Antenna 6 May 3rd 04 10:59 AM
Long wire vs. G5RV/dipole John Shortwave 10 March 5th 04 04:16 AM
The Brother Stair bodycount list! Tom Sevart Shortwave 8 February 14th 04 07:33 PM