Old January 16th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Paladin

Default adding some extra wire to existing antenna

Hello Antenna "lovers",
It's been a cold winter so far. I have to plan my
spring/good weather,outside stuff now. I am thinking of adding more
length to my linear-loaded,140ft. dipole. I figured that the antenna
now is 70ft. per side. I been "playing" with the thought of adding
"about,or around",
54ft. to EACH side. These additions to the basic antenna would be
"hooked" about 90deg. to
the plane of the 70ft. side. I've looked at the "double-bazooka"
design,and think that this might get me better results on the lower
bands. I probabally should have just started with a
"full halfwave dipole" for 160m, and then just "hooked" the ends to fit
my yard.
The antenna has a feedpoint up at 55ft. with the ends
at 15ft. It's feed with 450ohm ladderline,to a 4/1 balun,and then good
grade coax. Still working on "that" coax length. I'm needing
50ft.,and I realize that it's length is needing adjustment. I trying a
1/1 balun out tonight. The length of the L.L. is 80ft. Will try 62 to
65ft. when weather changes.
My tuner WILL match the set up now; but it doesn't work as expected.
THE age-old,question; " How can I FIT a BIG,160m antenna INTO a
small yard ? ?

Thanks,

Paladin

Old January 16th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
'Doc

Paladin,
Fractals? ... Can't believe I said that.
'Doc
Old January 16th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

THE age-old,question; " How can I FIT a BIG,160m antenna INTO a
small yard ? ? .....

In as most sneaky manner as possible. You could try adding to the
ends. The usual double bazooka is made mostly from coax, and
actually has more loss than using plain wire. The loss gives it the
wider bandwidth. There is no free lunch.. :/ I'm on a regular city
lot, and I've been able to fit in inv L's, and also have a "Z" dipole
that I can use. At the momen, I'm now running a 80 turnstile, and
40 dipole on one coax. On 160, I short the shield to center pin,
and load it as a top loaded vertical. "four 60 ft top loading wires,
and appx 42 ft height of the feedline". For all around use, it's
my best antenna, but sometimes the Z dipole beats it for NVIS
stuff. If you can fit a 80 dipole, you can probably fit a full size
160m Z dipole. Inv L's work pretty well, but I recently took mine
down as it was redundant, and the top loaded worked better most
times. I tried Hi-Q coil loaded dipoles, but the Z dipole was better
here. No inductor loss. No tuner needed either. It's fairly efficient.
But later at night the vertical is generally best for most distances.
MK

Old February 8th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Paladin

O.K. then........I'm doing it! I figure that tommorrow I will add
65ft MORE to each end. Currently,the "sides" are 70ft. per side.
the thing "OF ISSUE" here IS that this antenna is a "linear-loaded"
dipole of 140ft. total,across the top. Each section IS 210ft of
wire in a "folded" condition. I need to get to that 260ft or so feet
long across the top. I'll let you guys know how this works out.
I bet thaat adding this wire will affect the ladderline length.
Paladin ps-I want this antenna to be BEST on 160m phone

Old February 9th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Paladin

Doc, WHAT are "fractals" ? I can't believe that you said that
either........;-( How does even that word help me ? Paladin

Old February 14th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Paladin

I am replying to the group. I have done some MORE research and I now
believe that the lenth should be near 51.5ft.! NOT the 65feet that I
was going to add. We are to get some warm weather soon. Maybe then I
can put the measurements to the "test"