Old January 26th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed

Default external wifi antennas in laptops

Many laptops now-a-days have mini-pci wifi internal wifi cards for
wireless internet. Laptops such as the IBM Thinkpad series apparently have
an antenna built into the top of the display, which enhances wifi signal.

Does anyone have any idea what type of antenna is used? A neighbor has
a wifi coverage problem and he says he measures a (DC) short circuit at the
little coax coming from this built in antenna. I suspect this might be
normal, but would like further opinion here. Thanks.

Ed K7AAT
Old January 26th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt

Many laptops now-a-days have mini-pci wifi internal wifi cards for
wireless internet. Laptops such as the IBM Thinkpad series apparently have
an antenna built into the top of the display, which enhances wifi signal.

Does anyone have any idea what type of antenna is used? A neighbor has
a wifi coverage problem and he says he measures a (DC) short circuit at the
little coax coming from this built in antenna. I suspect this might be
normal, but would like further opinion here. Thanks.

I believe that some of them use an inverted-F configuration or
straight-F configuration, either printed right on the PC board or
mounted above it. My recollection (and brief Googling on the net)
suggest that such antennas use a shorted inductive stub as part of
their matching/tuning arrangement, and will thus look like a short
circuit at DC.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old January 26th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Platt, well I never... your sister Sarah, bit young for kids,,, nice
though, in a whiny sort of way. Quick tip... leave a roller skate on the
stairs to put Phil out of 'the picture for a while. I love seeing your mum
Gail cry, such fun...

Old January 26th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:43:37 GMT, wrote:

Dave Platt, well I never... your sister Sarah, bit young for kids,,, nice
though, in a whiny sort of way. Quick tip... leave a roller skate on the
stairs to put Phil out of 'the picture for a while. I love seeing your mum
Gail cry, such fun...

Hmmm, this in comparison to pleading for Reggie certainly removes you
from being considered the Vicar of Wakefield.
Old January 26th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

a proper weirdo!

Old January 27th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 23:34:27 GMT, wrote:
a proper weirdo!

More so mildly eccentric (with Reggie eclipsing mild).

From Johnson on blockheads:

"he is a tree that cannot produce good fruit:
he only bears crabs. But, Sir, a tree that
produces a great many crabs is better than
a tree which produces only a few."
Old June 5th 11, 07:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ed wrote in
. 192.196:

Many laptops now-a-days have mini-pci wifi internal wifi
cards for
wireless internet. Laptops such as the IBM Thinkpad series
apparently have an antenna built into the top of the
display, which enhances wifi signal.

Does anyone have any idea what type of antenna is used?
A neighbor has
a wifi coverage problem and he says he measures a (DC)
short circuit at the little coax coming from this built in
antenna. I suspect this might be normal, but would like
further opinion here. Thanks.

Ed K7AAT

Be extreeeeeeemly carefull here, I know you said DC load tested
the antenna but was it unplugged? More then once in my younger
dumber days I sent the voltage comming out of the Volt meter
[digital] hap hazardly into the final output of the radio, that
was more then enouph to poof the transmitter chip, now it's
toast. I would never believe the amp/volts comming out of a
small digital test meter would roast the finals, but it did.
Old June 5th 11, 12:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

moronsbegone Inscribed thus:

Ed wrote in
. 192.196:

Many laptops now-a-days have mini-pci wifi internal wifi
cards for wireless internet. Laptops such as the IBM Thinkpad
series apparently have an antenna built into the top of the
display, which enhances wifi signal.

Does anyone have any idea what type of antenna is used?

Usually inverted "F" ! Most have two, sometimes one is vertical and the
other horizontal.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.