Old February 2nd 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Joe S.

Default ATAS-120/Screwdriver question

I recently installed a Yaesu FT-857D and ATAS-120 on my truck to replace the
truck and rig that were destroyed in Hurricane Katrina.

I have one nagging problem with this new installation I did not have with
the previous installation. With the new installation, I went through all
the setup steps with the rig and antenna. With my old installation, when I
changed bands and hit the PTT button, the antenna automatically tuned
itself -- the display would say WAIT and the meter would display high SWR --
I could hear the antenna tuning, the SWR would drop, and the rig would be
ready to use on the new frequency.

Now, the antenna does not tune automatically upon changing bands or upon
wide freq changes within the same band. If I set the rig on memory function
"k" and hit the TUNE button, the antenna tunes, the display says WAIT, SWR
shows high, and the antenna tunes then the rig beeps and I'm ready to go.

Have I missed something in the setup to make this thing tune automatically
upon band change? I have searched and searched the manaul and don't find
anything that I did not do when I installed the rig.

Now, I leave the memory set on "k" and just hit the TUNE button when I
change bands, but, being basically lazy, I want the rig to do all the work
for me.

Second problem: This morning I worked 40, 20, and 15 meters. Turned the
rig off, went inside, came back out, tried to change bands and the antenna
would not tune. I went back to the antenna and jiggled the upper trombone
portion -- the part the moves up and down when it tunes -- went back and it
worked fine. Is there some way to lube the ATAS-120, or, was this just a
glitch that will happen from time to time?

Thanks.