Old December 7th 03, 07:21 PM
Fjx1

Default Advice good 80 meter vertical

I can't run wires on my property( no trees and tower rotates). I've used a ^btv
for years with usual weak results on 80. LAways thought Butternut was weakly
made.

What is recommendation out there?
Butternut
Gap
Force sigma for 80 know very little about it they don't answer e-mails
MFK

??? other ideas
Really want 80 and 160 would be great bonus.

73
Gerry
Old December 7th 03, 07:53 PM
Jerry Oxendine

"Fjx1" wrote in message
I can't run wires on my property( no trees and tower rotates). I've used a

^btv
for years with usual weak results on 80. LAways thought Butternut was

weakly
made.

What is recommendation out there?
Butternut
Gap
Force sigma for 80 know very little about it they don't answer e-mails
MFK

??? other ideas
Really want 80 and 160 would be great bonus.

73
Gerry

If there are no trees for support, and you say you have
a rotating tower, do you have room for a couple of poles
or stakes........say, 10-12 feet high? I know it would be
somewhat "unsightly" (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but an inverted
Vee would do pretty well on
75. I had a 75 dipole at one of my prior residences that
drooped down to 10' and it worked better than I expected. So if you could
droop a V down off the tower
(the whole thing doesn't turn does it?) it would work. There are also some
ways you can make a loaded vertical to hang under a tree/tower--saw that in
QST a few years back. A bit of experimenting, but a good project which,
according to the author, got some pretty
good results. Sloper off the tower? And then you
could put a screwdriver at the top to work all bands and
put radials underneath--saw that method, again, in one of
the ham rags where a series of wires of different lengths
were positioned in a circle like a bird cage with a home-
brew vertical at top. Lots of ideas. I don't know how they work (haven't
had to try it). If you get out and "putter" with it, you'll come up with
something.

Now if you need a help with a screwdriver, just let me know
(
www.qsl.net/k4kwh) .

73

Jerry
K4KWH

Old December 8th 03, 04:12 AM
'Doc

Gerry,
Do you have guy wires on your tower? How long are they,
and how hard would it be to put an insulator on the top end
of one, or several? How about loading the tower? Or running
a wire from the top to some point close to the shack, or a
tree / pole / top of the garage? All kinds of possibilities.
An 80 or 160 meter antenna doesn't have to be of any
'classic'
design to work. You may have to use a tuner, but that's no big
deal. Guess it is if you don't have one, huh?
'Doc
Old December 8th 03, 04:16 PM
kf4tun

Don't know what you mean by weak, my HS5 (mounted on top a 14' base pole,
with a total antenna height of 40'. It is mounted in a surveyors tripod. It
has withstood winds up to 75mph with out guying. Works great on all bands
(using a simple tuner. Plan on adding on a additional 10 more feet of base,
and I the will guy the base pole at 23'. There will be three guys, one
affixed to each tripod leg anchor.

Butternut makes good tripods, but a lot depends on how the user puts them
together. You got to have radials and a good ground.

Jim

"Fjx1" wrote in message
I can't run wires on my property( no trees and tower rotates). I've used a

^btv
for years with usual weak results on 80. LAways thought Butternut was

weakly
made.

What is recommendation out there?
Butternut
Gap
Force sigma for 80 know very little about it they don't answer e-mails
MFK

??? other ideas
Really want 80 and 160 would be great bonus.

73
Gerry

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old December 8th 03, 09:55 PM
Fjx1

You got me. What is an HS5? Not familiar with that model.

Tks Gerry

Old December 9th 03, 09:34 PM
kf4tun

You got me! Instead of HS, it should be HF5. I also should have given the
full model number HF5-Il, which covered 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10-meters. I
have added coils, as needed for the for the other bands. Rolled them myself
using aluminum fence wire (.25" dia), same diameter that butternut uses. All
the aluminum tubing is original.

Jim