Old December 10th 03, 04:24 AM
Fjx1

Default What's the cleanest, safest way to run coax through vinyl siding?

I need to put a hole in the house through new vinyl siding and would like to
know if anyone has a clean neat way to do it. Do they make feedthroughs for
cable as big as RG8? Any suggestions ?

Thanks much.

Gerry

Old December 10th 03, 04:37 AM
Cecil Moore

Fjx1 wrote:
I need to put a hole in the house through new vinyl siding and would like to
know if anyone has a clean neat way to do it. Do they make feedthroughs for
cable as big as RG8? Any suggestions ?

Just for the distance through the siding, use RG-400 (teflon).
Diameter = 0.2"
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 10th 03, 11:27 AM
Edward A. Feustel

"Fjx1" wrote in message

I need to put a hole in the house through new vinyl siding and would like

know if anyone has a clean neat way to do it. Do they make feedthroughs

for
cable as big as RG8? Any suggestions ?

Thanks much.

Gerry

I bought plastic tubes from Radio Shack that are designed to go through
siding, sheathing, and insulation.
You can cut them off at the appropriate length. They have interior and
exterior covers that can be flashed to
the house and have a flange that seals tightly around coax from RG-6 up.
Ed, N5EI

Old December 10th 03, 03:35 PM
Alex Flinsch

In article , Fjx1 wrote:

I need to put a hole in the house through new vinyl siding and would like to
know if anyone has a clean neat way to do it. Do they make feedthroughs for
cable as big as RG8? Any suggestions ?

I just drilled a hole thru the siding and mounted an surface mount outdoor
electrical outlet box over the hole. There is a plastic shield over the
outlet box, with large enough cutouts at the bottom forr the coax to pass
thru. The passage into the box is large enough for 2 runs of RG8, and 2 of
RG58.

When I sell the place and move to someplace where bigger and better antennas
can be erected, I will just add an electrical outlet in the box. A simple 15
minute job, and the hole is covered.
Old December 10th 03, 03:56 PM
W3JDR

Check this out from Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...8%5F005&Page=2

It's a long URL. If it wraps around on your page, it might not work. You'll
have to go to their web site and look under Wire Management/Wiring Tools &
Supplies. They also have a waterproofing caulk-tape somewhere on their site
that you can use to seal behind these things

Joe
W3JDR

Old December 10th 03, 07:28 PM
gwatts

Fjx1 wrote:
I need to put a hole in the house through new vinyl siding and would like to
know if anyone has a clean neat way to do it. Do they make feedthroughs for
cable as big as RG8? Any suggestions ?

I avoided the siding entirely by going in a crawl space vent and up
through a closet floor with 2 inch PVC pipe, using 45 deg bends with
straight pieces in between so I don't have to fight RG-8 through 90 deg
bends. I have five runs of RG-8 diameter through there, I might be able
to squeak (literally) another through if I use a lot of soap.

I should have used 3 inch. Or 4. 6.

W8LNA

Old December 11th 03, 03:45 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 06:27:39 -0500, "Edward A. Feustel"
wrote:

"Fjx1" wrote in message

I need to put a hole in the house through new vinyl siding and would like

know if anyone has a clean neat way to do it. Do they make feedthroughs

for
cable as big as RG8? Any suggestions ?

Thanks much.

Gerry

I bought plastic tubes from Radio Shack that are designed to go through
siding, sheathing, and insulation.
You can cut them off at the appropriate length. They have interior and
exterior covers that can be flashed to
the house and have a flange that seals tightly around coax from RG-6 up.
Ed, N5EI

There are the tubes, 1/2" PVC conduit, and bulkhead connectors. They
look like a longgggg double female connector and are available up to
at least 6 inches in length. Bore a hole just big enough to fit the
thing through, add the proper nut and maybe washer on each side and
connect a PL-259 to each end.

Here I use large PVC conduit underground for the house to the tower
and 1 1/4 EMT (thin wall) in the shop. There I used two small
electrical boxes
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/boatanch.htm
shown at the bottom of the page. The majority of the 1 1/4 emt run
can be seen in the photos above those.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers
Old December 12th 03, 04:12 AM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

gwatts wrote in message ...
Fjx1 wrote:
I need to put a hole in the house through new vinyl siding and would like to
know if anyone has a clean neat way to do it. Do they make feedthroughs for
cable as big as RG8? Any suggestions ?

I avoided the siding entirely by going in a crawl space vent and up
through a closet floor with 2 inch PVC pipe, using 45 deg bends with
straight pieces in between so I don't have to fight RG-8 through 90 deg
bends. I have five runs of RG-8 diameter through there, I might be able
to squeak (literally) another through if I use a lot of soap.

I should have used 3 inch. Or 4. 6.

W8LNA

Yes I am glad I put a 4inch dia pipe thru the Portland stone on the
house.
After you put in a few coax lines, rotor cable and various control
lines for experiments it starts to get full. I also use a 90 degree
elbow on the outside which is just pushed on and the elbow has
insulation foam sprayed inside to keep the damp and insects out
Art
Old December 12th 03, 08:03 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:28:57 GMT, gwatts
wrote:

Fjx1 wrote:
I need to put a hole in the house through new vinyl siding and would like to
know if anyone has a clean neat way to do it. Do they make feedthroughs for
cable as big as RG8? Any suggestions ?

I avoided the siding entirely by going in a crawl space vent and up
through a closet floor with 2 inch PVC pipe, using 45 deg bends with
straight pieces in between so I don't have to fight RG-8 through 90 deg

You might find, depending on the radius that a very short straight
piece between the 45s will work better than a long one. The idea being
once you start the bend it is of the proper radius to make the second
45 as well. If the cable has to straighten and then bend again it
takes more force to pull it through.

bends. I have five runs of RG-8 diameter through there, I might be able
to squeak (literally) another through if I use a lot of soap.

It won't squeak with soap :-)) If you can find some wire pulling
soap...the yucky looking yellow stuff you can darn near fill the
conduit. I'm running two LMR-400s and a RG6 through 1 1/4 emt with
lots of room to spare. The cable comes up the outside wall of the
shop, into a 16 inch 1 1/4 emt stub into a exterior box, a 90 degree
turn then through a 2" stub to an inside box a 270 degree loop and
out into a 16 foot horizontal run of 1 1/4 emt to the south, through a
sweep L to 5 feet vertical, a sweep L to an 18 foot horizontal run to
the east. http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/boatanch.htm
Applicable photos near the bottom

I think I could easily get two and quite likely 3 more LMR-400 cables
in there even though it would be snug.
I do have a couple more photos that show the first two portions of the
conduit run, but at 3:00 in the morning, I think I may wait till
tomorrow to add them..

I should have used 3 inch. Or 4. 6.

The 4" is definitely easier. :-))

Although it works well, I need to completely reorganize the cables
from the tower to the house and in the basement. I think the basement
end will be by far the easiest. Course, once I get them organized and
neat, probably nothing will work. I did that once with a contest
style station...Organized all the cables behind the desk which had
individual stations set up to run 160 through 10 (before the WARC
bands) and I had RF getting from one station into another. I don't
think I could operate any of them without a problem. It took me two
weeks to get it straightened out.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm
shows the cables coming into the basement as well as the bulkhead with
4 of the PolyPhasers. The conduit is sealed with a "soft" expandable
foam rather than the rigid stuff. It's easier to get out and puts far
less stress on the cables and conduit.

I'd have preferred a grounded panel outside, but as the conduit comes
in underground that was not an option, or at least no an easy one.