Old March 1st 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jeff Dieterle

Default Coax help

Can anyone direct me to a web sight that explains the differences between
the various coax cables, RG6, RG8, RG11, RG59. From what I've seen it
basically the gauge of the conductor.

Old March 1st 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wes Stewart

http://www.timesmicrowave.com/conten...14_catalog.pdf

Old March 1st 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Jeff Dieterle wrote:
Can anyone direct me to a web sight that explains the differences between
the various coax cables, RG6, RG8, RG11, RG59. From what I've seen it
basically the gauge of the conductor.

Owen has provided a nifty transmission line analysis tool at:

http://www.vk1od.net/tl/tllce.php

By clicking on a particular type of transmission line
and doing an analysis, some of the important characteristics
of that particular type of transmission line will be displayed
along with the results of the analysis.

The ARRL Handbook contains a lot of information on the
different kinds of transmission lines as does the ARRL
Antenna Book.

"Wirebook IV", available from www.thewireman.com, is probably
a good read and reference. I have "Wirebook III" with 60
pages of information. "Wirebook IV" contains four times that
number of pages. When I am looking for information on
transmission lines, I reach for "Wirebook III" which is
never out of reach at my QTH.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old March 1st 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Caveat Lector

Several URL's to look at

http://ac6v.com/techref.htm#coax

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old March 1st 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Steve Nosko

Do a Google on : Coax RG8 belden RG58 Loss or variations thereof...
There is loss, impedance and size as the primary things that are important.

73, Steve, K9DCI

Old March 2nd 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jon

RG-8 is no longer a military standard
RG-213 is a better choice.

http://www.thewireman.com

he wrote a book !

http://www.belden.com

Old March 2nd 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wes Stewart

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 13:30:35 GMT, jon wrote:

RG-8 is no longer a military standard
RG-213 is a better choice.

Actually, it might be no better than RG-8, since -anyone- can make a
cable and call it either. While there might be a specification, it
doesn't mean the manufacturer's product has been submitted and
qualified to the spec.