Old March 10th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob

Default Soil dielectric constand and conductivity for East Texas

Hi Y'all! (said with a strange Australian accent!)

Am doing so NEC work for my QTH and need to get an idea of the ground
conditions here.

I started with the "Rich soil" of DallasLincoln but was advised that it
was more clay and likely to be typical of that in central VA.

Any information helpful.

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA

The 4NEC2 manual extract is attached inline below;

Pastoral, low hills, rich soil, typical from
Dallas, TX, to Lincoln, NE 0.0303 20 Very Good

Pastoral, low hills, rich soil, typical of OH
and IL 0.01 14 Good

Flat country, marshy, densely wooded, typical
of LA near the Mississippi River 0.0075 12

Pastoral, medium hills, and forestation, typical
of MD, PA, NY (exclusive of mountains and
coastline) 0.006 13

Pastoral, medium hills, and forestation, heavy
clay soils, typical of central VA 0.005 13 Average

Rocky soil, steep hills, typically mountainous 0.002 12-14 Poor

Sandy, dry, flat, coastal 0.002 10
Old March 10th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Frank

"Bob Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Bob, According to my 1977 edition of "Reference Data for Radio Engineers"
Soil conductivity along the south bank of the red river is 30mS/m (Most of
the OK side is shown as 15 mS/m). Since the map is not very detailed, and
without going to the extent of graphic overlays, it seems that Dallas is in
a region of lower conductivity at 15 mS/m. If you are interested I can scan
the map for you.

I went to the trouble of measuring my soil conductivity; using the "4 rod
method", with 60 Hz AC, as per the ARRL handbook (Measured 52 mS/m in
Calgary). I believe I have JPEGs of the relevant pages someplace. Also
some guys I was working with, a couple of years ago, devised a method of
measuring the complex permittivity with a capacitor structure. There were
some problems with the method, which they eventually corrected. The
information was required to analyze short range VHF transmission
underground.

73.

Frank, VE6CB

Old March 11th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I went to the trouble of measuring my soil conductivity; using the "4 rod
method", with 60 Hz AC, as per the ARRL handbook (Measured 52 mS/m in
Calgary). I believe I have JPEGs of the relevant pages someplace. Also
some guys I was working with, a couple of years ago, devised a method of
measuring the complex permittivity with a capacitor structure. There were
some problems with the method, which they eventually corrected. The

Frank,

The measurement method in the Handbook is seriously flawed. You will
almost always measure something many times better than the soil really
is at radio frequencies.

Since soil conductivity varies widely over small distances, and since
it also has seasonal variations, a rough guess from a book is about as
good as anything.

Myself, I don't worry about it. I just use average soil in models.

73 Tom

Old March 11th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Frank's

The measurement method in the Handbook is seriously flawed. You will
almost always measure something many times better than the soil really
is at radio frequencies.

Since soil conductivity varies widely over small distances, and since
it also has seasonal variations, a rough guess from a book is about as
good as anything.

Myself, I don't worry about it. I just use average soil in models.

73 Tom

Thanks for your comments Tom, and you raise some valid points. Jerry Sevick
"The Short Vertical Antenna and Ground Radial", pp 25, 26, does state that
the procedure is accurate to within 25%, but does not provide any
independant verification of these claims. The method was developed by M. C.
Waltz at Bell Labs, but, again, nothing was ever published.

It would be interesting to develop a more accurate method. While my
measurement of 52 mS/m may not be very realistic it is evident that this
region does have a very high soil conductivity. Ground-wave daylight
reception of AM broadcast stations, with strong signals, at well over 300
miles is possible.

73,

Frank

Old March 11th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

Frank's wrote:

Thanks for your comments Tom, and you raise some valid points. Jerry Sevick
"The Short Vertical Antenna and Ground Radial", pp 25, 26, does state that
the procedure is accurate to within 25%, but does not provide any
independant verification of these claims. The method was developed by M. C.
Waltz at Bell Labs, but, again, nothing was ever published.

It would be interesting to develop a more accurate method. While my
measurement of 52 mS/m may not be very realistic it is evident that this
region does have a very high soil conductivity. Ground-wave daylight
reception of AM broadcast stations, with strong signals, at well over 300
miles is possible.

There are more accurate methods to calculate ground conductivity, but
what's the point? The skin depth in soil is on the order of 10 or 20
feet, depending on the frequency and soil quality. This means that
substantial current is flowing down to a few times this depth. Certainly
where I live, and I'd bet that in most locations, the conductivity is
far from uniform. So in order to know the conductivity of the soil which
is carrying current, you'd need to measure it down to several tens of feet.

Once you had that data, what would you do with it? Currently available
modeling programs assume homogeneous ground to an infinite depth. So
you'd have to choose some single value from among your measurements if
your objective is to get better accuracy from a program. But there's no
evidence that a homogeneous ground with any single value of conductivity
will behave the same as a stratified ground.

So having even an extremely accurate measure of surface conductivity at
a particular radio frequency (and it does vary with frequency) still
gives you much too little information to build even a crudely accurate
model of the actual ground in which the current is flowing.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old March 11th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob

Hi Roy..

And I only wanted a simple answer. sigh Was just trying to limit some
of the variables and learn some at the same time!

The FCC map says its roughly 8 mS/M here... That will do..

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Old March 12th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Frank

[...]

Certainly, all valid points. I was more interested in actually doing
precise measurements, but considered it might improve my model accuracy. I
even thought of digging a hole to see how the soil varied. Doubt I would
have dug down 20 or 30 ft. Most of the ground here is clay, and then
probably bedrock, at this elevation of just over 4,000 ft ASL. Ansoft's
HFSS, or CST, could probably handle an accurate, stratified, ground model.

Frank