Old March 19th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml

Default vert vs dipole gut comparison

hi

i am pondering this again after thinking the odds of being about to put
a beam up are slim

currently i have a nice dipole CF horiz via a topside sgc , i am happy
w/it

i think i might be able to get a verticle (all bander) up there but then
i wonder

overall if it would really pay from just a performance point of view

the reviews i see i personally average as some signals would prob come
in bettter on one and some signals the other 'depending'

but i guess i can't quantify if at the end of the day i'd say wow
really glad i had that vert or if perhaps having a 2nd antenna would
really net me only a marginal end of year bunch of extra qso's

perhaps a unrelated question #2

given the building master tv antenna is close by, would one guess that a
verticle or a small triband beam would give off more tvi??

assume both would be slightly higher than the tv ant but close proximity

thanks
Old March 19th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bill Turner

Old March 20th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo

ml wrote:
hi

i am pondering this again after thinking the odds of being about to put
a beam up are slim

currently i have a nice dipole CF horiz via a topside sgc , i am happy
w/it

i think i might be able to get a verticle (all bander) up there but then
i wonder

overall if it would really pay from just a performance point of view

the reviews i see i personally average as some signals would prob come
in bettter on one and some signals the other 'depending'

And HOW!
I've been running some experiments comparing the two, and frankly have
been having some problems simplifying the experiment enough to make good
sense and be valid at the same time.

Some times the vertical works better, and sometimes the horizontal
works better. I'm having a heck of a time correlating exactly *why and
when* (I'm not the only one - some Dutch amateurs got some surprising
results when they tried to decipher what would be the best antenna to
use in the PA contest. Some signals predicted to come in Groundwave were
coming in Skywave, and vice versa - this was covered in a recent QST)

What I have seen from my experiments has led me to believe that the
answer to "dipole vs Vertical is an emphatic, no question about it one
answer only - YES!

You want both antennas if you can do it. Anyone who declares one or the
other the winner is simply wrong.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 20th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:15:00 -0500, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Some times the vertical works better, and sometimes the horizontal
works better. I'm having a heck of a time correlating exactly *why and

Mike, we need a clear definition of the meaning of "works" in your
data gathering and analysis.

Owen
Old March 20th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
pbourget

I have a all band trap vertical and an all band linear loaded dipole.
Some days one is better than the other. It depends on propagation.
Often the verticle is stronger but the contact is easier to make on the
dipole because it is quieter. I would put both up if you have the room.

Pete W6OP

Old March 20th 06, 10:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml

thanks very much to all those that replyed,

but don't forget, we all agree that somtimes the dipole will work better
sometimes the vert but the realy trick i wonder about is how many times
will the vert be useful

my guess is prob 50/50 but wasn't sure how 'random' it might all be

Old March 20th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Gary Schafer

wrote:

ml wrote:
[...]

I did some tests a couple of years ago on 10 meters between vertical
and horizontal on an 1800 mile path. It seems that there is quite a
bit of rotation in polarity of the signal from minute to minute. I
tried right and left hand circular to confirm that it was rotation.

73
Gary K4FMX

Old March 20th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Yuri Blanarovich

"ml" wrote

but don't forget, we all agree that somtimes the dipole will work better
sometimes the vert but the realy trick i wonder about is how many times
will the vert be useful

my guess is prob 50/50 but wasn't sure how 'random' it might all be

To understand the benefits of vertical vs. dipole, one has to look at the
radiation diagram of each antenna at particular height. Vertical has the
lobes, where horizontal dipole has the nulls and vice versa. The other
aspect is the polarization which plays bigger role in close range signals,
long range DX signals have varying polarization after they go through the
path. Then there are varying angles of arriving signal depending on
propagation media.
Another spect is that Vertical has omnidirectional pattern, while dipole has
nulls in the pattern (off the ends).

Depends how the antenna pattern and properties fit the current propagation
mode/situation, that antenna would be better. So one has to look at the
antenna pattern and have idea what propagation angles and polarization we
are looking for. Verticals need good ground/soil/radials/salt water for
better low angle performance.

The answer to which is better: vertical or dipole is - YES, jus' depends
wasaaaap (or down)!

Yuri, www.K3BU.us

Old March 20th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo

wrote:

Some times the vertical works better, and sometimes the horizontal
works better. I'm having a heck of a time correlating exactly *why and

Mike, we need a clear definition of the meaning of "works" in your
data gathering and analysis.

Yeah! I'm trying to come up with a good test protocol that will allow
me to define "work".

So far, I can note that some signals drop into the noise and become
unreadable, while are readable on the other at the same time. That seems
a bit simplistic though.

My main problem is the variable signal levels., and the also variable
noise levels. Turns out that the antenna that was noisier on one band is
quieter on another, and vice versa.

A fellow could come to the conclusion that "this ain't exactly easy". HA!

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 20th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

Michael Coslo wrote:

Yeah! I'm trying to come up with a good test protocol that will
allow me to define "work".

So far, I can note that some signals drop into the noise and become
unreadable, while are readable on the other at the same time. That seems
a bit simplistic though.

My main problem is the variable signal levels., and the also
variable noise levels. Turns out that the antenna that was noisier on
one band is quieter on another, and vice versa.

A fellow could come to the conclusion that "this ain't exactly
easy". HA!

It isn't.

The best antenna for transmitting is the one which produces the loudest
signal at the other station. The best antenna for receiving is the one
which produces the best signal/noise ratio at your station. The two are
often different, because they're determined by different antenna
characteristics. So for starters, you can have two "best" antennas for
each station you want to contact, and that "best" will vary with the
skip elevation angle, local noise level, and directions and angles the
noise is coming from.

Have fun!

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
Antenna reception theory Paul Taylor Antenna 176 December 25th 05 10:15 PM
ABOUT - The "T" & Windom Antenna plus Twin Lead Folded Dipole Antenna RHF Shortwave 0 November 4th 05 06:13 PM
Workman BS-1 Dipole Antenna = Easy Mod to make it a Mini-Windom Antenna ! RHF Shortwave 0 November 2nd 05 11:14 AM
Antenna Suggestions and Lightning Protection § Dr. Artaud § Shortwave 71 April 26th 05 04:14 PM