Old March 22nd 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Leadfoot

Default building a yagi

I going to build a 11 element yagi but the problem I'm having is I can't
find the aluminum rods, I was wondering if I use copper if I will still get
the same Db gain.

I was thinking of another metal was to use brake line from a car that I can
get in the auto parts store.

Thanks
Ledfoot

Old March 22nd 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Allodoxaphobia

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 03:27:09 GMT, Leadfoot wrote:
I going to build a 11 element yagi but the problem I'm having is I can't
find the aluminum rods, I was wondering if I use copper if I will still get
the same Db gain.

Ya, you'd get the same gain, but the antenna would be pretty damn heavy!

Make your own AL rod like I do: Find AL wire -- about 8-10 gauge will
do. It'll be soft and flexible -- not what you would chose for ant.
elements. Well...

Cut your elements out of the wire -- each about 5-6 inches _longer_ than
you want. For each element, clamp one end in a bench vise and chuck the
other end in a 3/8" or 1/2" electric drill. While pulling back on the
drill, run the drill -- twisting the wire until you have 1 - 1 1/2
twists-per-inch in the element. (Much more than that will make it too
brittle for use.) What you end up with is a nice, stiff, straight rod
suitable for 2M antennas -- and higher in freq.

I made a 6 el. vert 2M beam that I mounted on the fore-boom of my
tri-bander
http://jonz.net/W3DHJ/images/W3DHJ_Tower.jpeg
from
AL conductors that I scrounged from scrap ends of power cable from the
local REA. There were six AL conductors wrapped around a steel core
wire. The AL conductors were about 7/32" in dia.
I got the 15' lengths (useless for them) for free.

Now, if you have large roosting birds in your area, it might require
heftier elements for a horizontal beam than I've described. i do not
have such problems here.

I'm pretty sure you could find large gauge AL ground wire in the
electrical dept. at your local hardware emporium.

HTH
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http//jonz.net/ng.htm
Old March 26th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ken

I have built several 6, 2, and 543 yagis using 3/16" diameter aluminum rod
(6061) and bought it off Ebay from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-16-ROUND-ALUMI...QQcmdZViewItem

The stuff works great and I "Weld" the elements in using Aluminum "welding"
rod, also found on Ebay. Just be sure to follow instructions about cleaning
the metal prior to trying to "weld" it. I use a Mapp gas torch but propane
will work, it just takes a little longer to heat up the metal.

73,
Ken

Old April 6th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Steven Polczynski

You can get aluminum tubing from an aircraft supplier. it comes in 12'
lengths.

it would be a pretty expensive antenna but would last a long time.

Old April 6th 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
stargatesg1

You can get aluminum 6061 3/16" rod at most metal suppliers or scrap metal
salvage yards. Check the yellow pages. If they don't have it in stock
they will usually order it for you. I was quoted a price of about $10 US for
1" X 12' square tubing, and about $3-4 for the 3/16" X 12' rod stock.

Hope this helps,
--
RoD

. com...