Old March 22nd 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default "Silence of the Gurus"

It's spring break time and I won't be back until Monday.

On my web page at http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/current.htm

- is what EZNEC says about a 5.89 MHz, 8' mobile antenna
and what happens to the standing wave current through
the coil when 40' is added to the top of the antenna.
The .EZ files are available for downloading from that
web page. Anyone with a full-featured copy of EZNEC
can duplicate my results.

The *only* change between antennas is the addition of
that 40' of wire. Everything else, including the frequency,
stays the same. (The coil doesn't know that it is supposed
to honor the lumped circuit model and reports the facts
of physics.) The current "flowing" into the bottom of the
coil is 1.29 amps. The current "flowing" out of the
top of the coil is 2.07 amps. Seems that fact alone
is enough to prove that standing wave current doesn't
"flow" in the commonly accepted definition of the word.

Guru gut feelings to the contrary, these results can easily
be proven with real-world measurements by anyone to expend
the time and effort.

The r.r.a.a gurus have four days of peace in which to
figure out a reasonable technical explanation for those
EZNEC results. Enjoy!
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old March 22nd 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

Are you in your Hannibal Lecter character now?

Forgive me if I skip using the skin lotion.