Old April 4th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
aRKay

Default HDTV Antennas

What is unique about the new HDTV antennas? We just picked up a new
HDTV with a tuner and was advised to pickup a simple HDTV antenna to
pick up the local digital broadcast. Any magic to these other the high
gain claims on the boxes?

Dick AA5VU
Old April 4th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David G. Nagel

aRKay wrote:
What is unique about the new HDTV antennas? We just picked up a new
HDTV with a tuner and was advised to pickup a simple HDTV antenna to
pick up the local digital broadcast. Any magic to these other the high
gain claims on the boxes?

Dick AA5VU

Dick;

There is absolutely nothing unique about a so called HDTV antenna. I
would get a good quality antenna though. Stations are currently
transmitting at reduced power to save a few dollars until they have to
goto high power.

Dave WD9BDZ
Old April 4th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sum Ting Wong

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 01:43:04 GMT, aRKay wrote:

What is unique about the new HDTV antennas? We just picked up a new
HDTV with a tuner and was advised to pickup a simple HDTV antenna to
pick up the local digital broadcast. Any magic to these other the high
gain claims on the boxes?

Dick AA5VU

Marketing ploy like the "Color TV Antennas" in days of old.

S.T.W.
Old April 4th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
artie

In article
, aRKay
wrote:

What is unique about the new HDTV antennas? We just picked up a new
HDTV with a tuner and was advised to pickup a simple HDTV antenna to
pick up the local digital broadcast. Any magic to these other the high
gain claims on the boxes?

Dick AA5VU

Last I looked, broadcast HDTV occupies the old UHF tv channels, so...

Rat Shack Model: U-75R, Catalog #: 15-2160 $25

it's a UHF antenna, nothing more, and that's all you need. I've put in
a few of these.

--
Namaste--
Old April 4th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
hasan schiers

Dick,

Since the vast majority of HDTV channels are on UHF, make sure that you have
good UHF performance. If using an outside antenna, and you do other OTA
viewing, you might as well get a good one that covers VHF/UHF. I
particularly like the Channel Master antennas with boom lengths anywhere
from 6 to 10 feet. In most cases there is no such thing as too much signal.
Of course, if you are really close to the transmit towers, you can get
exactly that. As far as a "simple" antenna...you may find that you have
multi-path problems with them. Lots of variables to consider, but none of
them have anything in particular to do with HDTV grin.

Your best bet is to go to the antennaweb site, plug in your zip code or
location and see what antenna they recommend. This site is used by a lot of
HDTV enthusiasts.

www.antennaweb.org

73,

....hasan, N0AN

Old April 4th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 09:23:38 -0500, "hasan schiers"
wrote:

In most cases there is no such thing as too much signal.

Hi Hasan,

In fact that is wrong. Too much signal can black out the picture.

On the other hand, that is about as likely to happen as the borrow and
spend Republicans delivering a balanced budget.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 4th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
hasan schiers

Hi Richard, that's why I said "in most cases". I like your probablility
metaphor.

Doesn't sound like either one of us will be holding our breath.

....hasan, N0AN

Old April 4th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Steve Nosko

If that is the comparison, then everyone already has the black-out...
buh dum dum.
73, Steve, K9DCI

Old April 6th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
aRKay

In article ,
artie wrote:

In article
, aRKay
wrote:

What is unique about the new HDTV antennas? We just picked up a new
HDTV with a tuner and was advised to pickup a simple HDTV antenna to
pick up the local digital broadcast. Any magic to these other the high
gain claims on the boxes?

Dick AA5VU

Last I looked, broadcast HDTV occupies the old UHF tv channels, so...

Rat Shack Model: U-75R, Catalog #: 15-2160 $25

it's a UHF antenna, nothing more, and that's all you need. I've put in
a few of these.

I am 3 to 4 miles from the transmission towers and the antenna you
mentioned may be too directional. I need an omnidirectional UHF only.