Old December 15th 03, 11:26 PM
Johnny V. Mullins

Default Omni directional beam :-( ??????

Hey gang, I gotta problem here with a with a 27 kHz. Maco Comet / Y Quad

I bought a new Maco Comet. After assembly, I attached it to a ten ft.section
of tower and a 10 ft piece of thin wall pipe for final adjustments.

Overnight the wind bent the pipe and allowed the director elements to hit
the ground and bend them , so I downloaded the assembly instructions for a
Maco Y Quad and built " it " back in " that " configuration ( by the specs )
to use until I decided what I want to do.
Now here's the problem. I've mounted the Y Quad on the same section of tower
with a new section of pipe and a rotor.

The SWR is around 1.5 to 1, but ............. the antenna seems to make
little or no difference in the direction it's turned or what polarity is
being used ?????????? Its like a "copy stick" ( omni directional )

Now I need to add this ........ This antenna is temporarily located 28
ft.east of a 55 ft, steel tower that has three scanner antennas and a UHF TV
antenna. Also, a tier of three guy wires from the tower are no more than 25
ft, away from, and above it.

Also, several years ago had a "MoonRaker" on this tower and the directivity
and polarity were great !!!!!! just to let you know my location is OK, and
not to suggest that I expect the directivity to equal the MoonRaker

OK. What's the opinion of the group ?? And .......... what suggestions ??

I could try a location ( for testing and adjustments) farther from the
tower, it'd just be a lotta work, but I don't want the antenna put on top of
my tower the way it performs now :-(

Johnny

Old December 16th 03, 12:03 AM
JGBOYLES

Hey gang, I gotta problem here with a with a 27 kHz. Maco Comet / Y Quad

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is an amateur radio antenna newsgroup.
I for one, and I'm sure others don't a Maco Comet/Y Quad, or Moonraker from a
hole in the ground. If you could describe the configuration of the antenna I'm
sure there are plenty here who could help. I'm guessing it's a cubical quad of
sorts, but don't know.
73 Gary N4AST
Old December 16th 03, 03:57 AM
'Doc

Johnny,
It's a little confusing, but it sounds like you didn't
rebuild
the antenna as it was designed. If so, then I'd recommend that
you
re-do it as it was intended, not as something else.
Will it being near the tower and guys, etc., affect the
antenna?
Yes. How, and how much? Beats me, not enough information to
tell.
'Doc

Directional Radio Transmitter Simon Antenna 10 December 14th 03 05:08 AM
Yagi / Beam antenna theory question... Nick C Antenna 12 October 5th 03 12:15 PM
small 10 meter beam for satellite RX Bruce Antenna 5 August 7th 03 02:45 AM
Vee Beam info needed W5DXP Antenna 5 August 6th 03 07:39 AM
TA-33 Beam question GS Antenna 3 July 26th 03 04:09 PM