Old April 17th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Hi

Default Vertically Polorized Omni Slot Antenna

This is a horizontally powerized omni slot antenna.

http://tinyurl.com/kbwkf

Does anyone know if its possible to make a vertically polerized omni slot
antenna?

Matt

Old April 17th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

If I recall correctly, nope.

A vertically polarized slot antenna will have an azimuth pattern like a
dipole.

If you want a vertically polarized omnidirectional antenna, you build a
collinear array of vertical elements. If you want a horizontally
polarized omnidirectional antenna, you build a collinear array of
everything EXCEPT those elements, and feed that. A slot radiates the
same way that an antenna element of the same size and shape would
radiate, but the E and H fields are interchanged, and therefore has the
opposite polarization.

Look up Babinet.

73,
Dan
N3OX
www.n3ox.net

Old April 17th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K7ITM

Wow, Matt, that must be close to a record: three uses of "polarized"
and they are all spelled differently (and all, um, 'non-standard').

A vertical slot antenna is horizontally polarized. A horizontal slot
antenna, while vertically polarized, emits in a standard dipole azimuth
pattern. You could try a pair of crossed horizontal slot antennas, fed
90 degrees out of phase, like the "turnstile" crossed dipole antenna.
(I don't see how you would actually do it, but you could try.) But why
bother, when it's easy to make an omnidirectional vertically polarized
antenna in other ways? I'm not saying there couldn't be reasons for
doing it, but please let us know what they are.

Cheers,
Tom

Old April 17th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Hi

If I recall correctly, nope.

A vertically polarized slot antenna will have an azimuth pattern like a
dipole.

I was thinking if the slots were cut horizontally rather then vertically.
Won't work?

Matt

Old April 17th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

It will be an antenna, it will be vertically polarized, but it won't be
omnidirectional. It will look just like the familiar horizontal dipole
pattern.

-Dan

Old April 17th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:34:44 -0500, "Hi" no@spam wrote:

I was thinking if the slots were cut horizontally rather then vertically.
Won't work?

Hi Matt,

No, it won't.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 18th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Hi

I was thinking if the slots were cut horizontally rather then vertically.
Won't work?

Hi Matt,

No, it won't.

Thanks for the response. Any sort of waveguide based antenna that will work
as vertical omni?

Matt

Old April 18th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Martes

"Hi" no@spam wrote in message ...
This is a horizontally powerized omni slot antenna.

http://tinyurl.com/kbwkf

Does anyone know if its possible to make a vertically polerized omni slot
antenna?

Matt

Hi Matt

You probably want an antenna with an omniazimuth, vertically polarized
pattern and some elevation plane narrowing, ie Gain
It is very easy to build a flush mounted antenna that has the radiation
pattern shape equivalent to a quarter wave monopole. Although that would
satisfy the specs you have presented, I doubt the broad elevation plane
pattern is what you are looking foe since the kbwkf site shows antennas with
gain.

Search on Annular Slot for info on a flush mounted antenna with the
vertically polarized omniazimuth antenna.

Jerry

Old April 18th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

So I guess the annular slot is the complement to a halo?

Old April 18th 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Martes

wrote in message
oups.com...
So I guess the annular slot is the complement to a halo?

Since I think of a halo as a loop in a plane parallel to the ground, it is
difficult for me to make a comparison of it to a monopole antenna pattern.

My suggestion would be for you to re-define your needs. There are some
really good antenna designers contributing to this group.

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Outside Antenna Rikk Shortwave 25 March 6th 06 06:53 PM
ABOUT - Making a SWL Antenna out of 300 Ohm Twin Lead and TV Coax Cable RHF Shortwave 0 October 28th 05 12:22 PM
Questions -?- Considering a 'small' Shortwave Listener's (SWLs) Antenna RHF Shortwave 1 January 24th 05 09:37 PM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM