Old April 18th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Phil

Default M2 6 Meter Yegis

I am thinking for replacing my old Creative Design CL-6A 5 element 6 meter
yagis with one of the M Squared antennas, either a 6M7, 6M7JHV, or a 6M2WLC.
Does anyone know where there's any comparatiuve data on them or where there
are product reviews on the 6M7 or 6M2WLC (the JHV was in QST a few years
back)?

Thanks

Phil Finkle K6EID

Old April 19th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tam/WB2TT

wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:28:45 -0400, "Phil"
wrote:

I am thinking for replacing my old Creative Design CL-6A 5 element 6 meter
yagis with one of the M Squared antennas, either a 6M7, 6M7JHV, or a
6M2WLC.
Does anyone know where there's any comparatiuve data on them or where
there
are product reviews on the 6M7 or 6M2WLC (the JHV was in QST a few years
back)?

Thanks

Phil Finkle K6EID

There ok if you want a thin element narrowband yagi. They do show SWR
rise with ice and snow.

Myself I'd want fatter elements for wider bandwidth and a bit more
robust.

Allison

At least where I live, FM20, I don't see thin elements as a big deal. I have
had a KLM 50 - 7 LD up for over 20 years with no signs ef element damage. As
for bandwidth, 50.0 to 50.25 is really all you need for CW and SSB.

Tam/WB2TT

Old April 19th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

wrote:

I am thinking for replacing my old Creative Design CL-6A 5 element

6 meter
yagis with one of the M Squared antennas, either a 6M7, 6M7JHV, or

a 6M2WLC.
Does anyone know where there's any comparatiuve data on them or

where there
are product reviews on the 6M7 or 6M2WLC (the JHV was in QST a few

years
back)?

Thanks

Phil Finkle K6EID

There ok if you want a thin element narrowband yagi. They do show

SWR
rise with ice and snow.

Myself I'd want fatter elements for wider bandwidth and a bit more
robust.

Allison

With ice and snow the SWR, if it's not perfect, and it never is, is
just as likely to improve as it is to get worse.

It's radiating efficiciency what matters. And the SWR is no
indication of this. A change in SWR is just another symptom of the
presence of ice or snow.

To see how much efficiency has deteriorated you would do better just
by looking out of the shack window at the weather conditions. From
appearances it is seldom as bad as you think!

After all, all the SWR meter tells you is whether or not the load on
the transmitter is matched to 50 ohms. Just readjust the tuner if you
have one.
----
Reg.

Old April 19th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I am thinking for replacing my old Creative Design CL-6A 5 element 6 meter
yagis with one of the M Squared antennas, either a 6M7, 6M7JHV, or a 6M2WLC.
Does anyone know where there's any comparatiuve data on them or where there
are product reviews on the 6M7 or 6M2WLC (the JHV was in QST a few years
back)?

Thanks

Phil Finkle K6EID

There ok if you want a thin element narrowband yagi. They do show SWR
rise with ice and snow.

Myself I'd want fatter elements for wider bandwidth and a bit more
robust.

The design of the yagi (element lengths and spacing) has far greater
influence on the bandwidth than the element diameter. In other words,
a wire yagi could have wider bandwidth than one made with tubing.

It's also hard to say that larger diameter elements always survive
ice and wind better, as there are many variables: taper schedule, tubing
thickness, etc.

Tor
N4OGW
Old April 20th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim - NN7K

And, here in DM09, , Elevation 5K feet, with winds in excess
or 70 MPH, my 7 El holds up just fine , except for when the TOWER
came down! But, with a total of 49 states worked,under this call
find it totally adiquite- and looked at the specs for this, vs.
the "JHV" 7 el, think the JHV is about a foot longer, has better
F/B, and .2 (2/10) dB extra gain! Think ANY of these would work fine
for all but the most discriminateing op (and never know the difference)!
and also, consider that get iceing here, maybe 2 inch dia. , and NOT
raining aluminium (elements falling off), like SOME other brands!
Jim NN7K

Old April 20th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim - NN7K

Default M2 6 Meter Yegis (more)

OH, and consider (the comparison of (for DX engineerings 10 EL , with
1/2 inch dia elements), at 50 foot boom, vs. the M-squared, , at the
same length, both have about the same gain, BUT at 35 # weight for the
M-squared, and in EXCESS of 90 lbs for the DX-10 (BEFORE ICE LOADING!)
just WHICH would you want to stand under, in winter ??? Thanks, I'll
stick with my mini-monster (at about 17 Lbs) ! Jim NN7K

Old April 20th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Phil wrote:
I am thinking for replacing my old Creative Design CL-6A 5 element 6 meter
yagis with one of the M Squared antennas, either a 6M7, 6M7JHV, or a 6M2WLC.
Does anyone know where there's any comparatiuve data on them or where there
are product reviews on the 6M7 or 6M2WLC (the JHV was in QST a few years
back)?

Thanks

Phil Finkle K6EID

Phil,

I have a pair of M squared 6M5's stacked at 140 feet, and don't have
any bandwidth, ice, or other problems.

They work just fine, and hold up well. Mine have had 1/2 inch of radial
ice and at other times winds over 100MPH. No problems.

No feedline or feedpoint problems, and I run a full kilowatt or so of
RF at the antenna even on CW.

73 Tom

Old April 23rd 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
delboy

. ..

Try http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/36

Old April 26th 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dunno about yagi's in particular, but for verticals I always had good
luck with thin elements. I have a 40 m ground plane I built from a junk
5/8 cb antenna. I just added thinner and thinner tubing to reach 32 ft.
The top 3 ft was actually a whip from a mobile antenna. It would bend
a good bit in strong wind, but never broke, and always bounced back
up straight after the wind was gone. Anway, I think ice might make
the thin yagi elements droop a bit, but I kinda doubt they would break.

Once melted, should look normal. C/C elements dropping? Dunno...
That would have to be some rusted out hardware. I just got a C/C
4218 this past weekend, and looking at it, I really doubt it's going to

be dropping any elements. The bolts holding the clamps would have to
break. That antenna should brown the food on 144 mhz... I got it
dirt
cheap, and it's all intact. Just needs a cleaning, and I think I'm
going
to change the hardware to stainless if I ever stick it in the air.
I use a homebrew 3 el for 6m made completely from copper tubing.
It's all welded together one piece. I also got a free drake R4C this
weekend...It was real dirty, but I've semi cleaned it up, turned it on,
and danged if it doesn't work half decent... So now I've got one of the

first R4's ever built, and one of the last... My old R4 is #0058... One
of the first churned out in 65... This C line radio is #22971...I guess

they built a few... I still got some more work to do on it, but I think
it
will clean up pretty nice.
MK

Odd signal meter phenomenon Telamon Shortwave 0 November 25th 05 04:58 PM
SWR - wtf? john d CB 136 July 2nd 05 08:31 PM
SWR - wtf? Roy Lewallen Antenna 110 July 1st 05 05:30 AM