RadioBanter

-   -   Velocity Factor and resonant frequency (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/93267-velocity-factor-resonant-frequency.html)

Reg Edwards April 25th 06 07:27 AM

Approximations

Dear nitpickers, Tom and Tom,

Have you never heard of the word "approximation".

The Whole World is founded on Good Approximations.

The art lies in making them.
----
Reg.

Richard Clark April 25th 06 08:02 AM

Velocity Factor and resonant frequency

On 24 Apr 2006 18:09:17 -0700, "K7ITM" wrote:

Hmmm...this is getting back really close to what I was trying to get at
when I posted the capacitance-of-a-wire-conundrum basenote a few weeks
ago that went nowhere.

Hi Tom,

Was that because the answer was so simple, or is there some other
anticipated (yet unrevealed) factors to be tossed into the mix?

OK, that ought to be enough to get lots of conflicting responses going!

It should, the conflict is already built in.

As I am often tagged with being obscure, it irks me to see someone
struggling to capture the crown. Tom, just what is it that is the
conundrum?

Hint, conundrums are usually emphasized with a question mark - or is
this the classical riddle that expects an answer in a pun?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Clark April 25th 06 08:10 AM

Approximations

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:27:27 +0100, "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

The Whole World is founded on Good Approximations.

The art lies in making them.

Hi Reggie,

The lies are in the art of making them. Whole debates are founded on
±59% error being "close enough."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Reg Edwards April 25th 06 09:06 AM

Approximations

Richard, your use of the English language is HIGHLY approximate and
therefore prone to errors greater than 59 percent.
----
Reg.

Tom Ring April 25th 06 01:20 PM

Velocity Factor and resonant frequency

Tom Donaly wrote:

What is the transmission mode in a single conductor transmission line?

That is a good question. I'd never thought about it. Anyone here have
experience with G Line?

tom
K0TAR

Dave April 25th 06 01:40 PM

Tom Ring wrote:

Tom Donaly wrote:

What is the transmission mode in a single conductor transmission line?

That is a good question. I'd never thought about it. Anyone here have
experience with G Line?

tom
K0TAR

The questions needs further refinement. Over a plane or in free space?

Tom Donaly April 25th 06 03:15 PM

Dave wrote:
Tom Ring wrote:

Tom Donaly wrote:

What is the transmission mode in a single conductor transmission line?

That is a good question. I'd never thought about it. Anyone here
have experience with G Line?

tom
K0TAR

The questions needs further refinement. Over a plane or in free space?

No ground planes allowed.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Tom Ring April 25th 06 03:23 PM

Dave wrote:

Tom Ring wrote:

Tom Donaly wrote:

What is the transmission mode in a single conductor transmission line?

That is a good question. I'd never thought about it. Anyone here
have experience with G Line?

tom
K0TAR

The questions needs further refinement. Over a plane or in free space?

Properly made and installed, G Line shouldn't know the difference.

tom
K0TAR

Dave April 25th 06 03:31 PM

Velocity Factor and resonant frequency

Tom Ring wrote:

Dave wrote:

SNIPPED

The questions needs further refinement. Over a plane or in free space?

Properly made and installed, G Line shouldn't know the difference.

tom
K0TAR

Tom, the original question is a single conductor transmission line. A
single conductor transmission line is used to feed a 'classic Windom'.

In that configuration, is it a G line?

For the uninitiated, including this questioner, what is a G line?

Tom Ring April 25th 06 04:00 PM

Dave wrote:

Tom Ring wrote:

Tom, the original question is a single conductor transmission line. A
single conductor transmission line is used to feed a 'classic Windom'.

In that configuration, is it a G line?

For the uninitiated, including this questioner, what is a G line?

I don't believe a single bare wire will operate as a transmission line
in free space. It will radiate. G line, on the other hand, will not.
At least it won't radiate any more than a piece of coax. And it can be
used in reasonably normal situations, but no sharp bends. It is not
practical for HF, however. 70 cm would probably be as low as you would
want to go.

The quick description is that G line is a wire coated with a dielectric
to a specific thickness that is coupled to by a device resembling a
feedhorn on each end, where the horn is a flaring of the shield. As I
remember it, the dielectric discontinuity constrains the E field, and
hence the EM field. The losses are much lower than coax, on the order
of 5 dB per mile at 500 MHz.

For details see -

http://coldwar-c4i.net/G-Line/EE0860/p638.html

tom