RadioBanter

-   -   Velocity Factor and resonant frequency (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/93267-velocity-factor-resonant-frequency.html)

Tom Donaly April 30th 06 11:53 PM

Velocity Factor and resonant frequency

Cecil Moore wrote:
Tom Donaly wrote:

In actuality, there's a constant change in Z0 up
and down both the stinger and the coil so your idea is a
bust.

The gradual change in Z0 really doesn't matter. What matters
is the *abrupt* change in Z0's at the coil to stinger impedance
discontinuity. That's where the abrupt phase shift occurs.

Yes it does.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Cecil Moore May 1st 06 12:08 AM

Tom Donaly wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
The gradual change in Z0 really doesn't matter. What matters
is the *abrupt* change in Z0's at the coil to stinger impedance
discontinuity. That's where the abrupt phase shift occurs.

Yes it does.

It only matters from a quantitative standpoint and it
matters not one iota from a conceptual, qualitative
standpoint. We already have real world transmission
lines that change Z0 gradually. They obey the laws
of physics.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Yuri Blanarovich May 1st 06 12:15 AM

Velocity Factor and resonant frequency

Hi Richard,
Impressive carreer and background!

That should slap another giant egg on the face of the technical imposter and
"guru" parading as "know-it-all" riding on a high horse of plagiarized
material.
When he fails technical arguments, he resorts to name calling and insults.
We still have to find out where he got his engineering degree and by what
rights he uses "JI Engineering".
Comparing your professional career to his "design" career like Dentron
Clipperton L amplifier "capable" of producing barely 600W instead of 1200 on
160 due to joke of a final tank design and his digs at people illustrates
the pathetic behavior.

His modus operandi is to defend his wrong "knowledge", ridiculing and
trivializing those who know better, then he realizes he was wrong, then he
goes quiet for a while, then he twists and "adjusts" his arguments "showing"
he said the same things, few months later he surfaces as a guru on the
subject, proclaiming the gospel that he fought in the first place. Been
there few times with him. He is incapable to engage in decent technical
discussions if he thinks different. Will not admit being wrong, but will
resort to personal digs when runs out of ammunition.

BTW W9UCW and K8CFU did years of tests and measurements and shared some
results pointing to the real behavior of the current in loading coils, but
W8JI can make a coil that has the same current at both ends - end of story,
because he proclaimed that current is ALWAYS the same and Kirchoff said so,
never mind the reality of standing wave current. According to him, the RF
chokes should not work either, let's hear some "'splanation".
Oh well, there is bad apple in every RF barrel.

73, Yuri da BUm

"Richard Harrison" wrote in message
Tom, W8JI wrote:
"--Harrison probably hasn`t even owned a bug catcher coil being a
technician class license holder."

You don`t need to own things to understand them.

I have a technician class radio amateur license renewed after its
initial ten-hear term. My First FCC license was a 1st class
radiotelephone license passed on my first attempt at the test in the
Houston FCC Office in early 1949. Shortly thereafter I got a call from
a Houston broadcaster that resulted in employment at a plant housing two
AM atations which shared a common antenna system. From there I went to
work in medium-wave and shortwave broadcasting stations for a dozen
years, got several college degrees including a BSEE.

I took a job with a petrochemical conglomerate which called me in 1960
saying that it intended to "automate" its operations and they thought I
might be helpful. In their employment, I installed low-frequency
aircraft beacons, 6-GHz microwave, shortwave AM, FM, and SSB. Installed
telephones and electric power plants.

The conglomerate found, produced, transported, traded, refined.
manufactured and marketed oil and gas and products made from them. That
was only a start. The company mined materials from the earth and from
the sea bottom. It farmed, manufactured tractors and automobile
components and tools. It built nuclear submarines, surface ships,
natural gas tankers which consumed their own boil off, and it laid pipe
across Canada and the U.S.A. It even consulted for other countries on
the best ways to install and operate pipelines. I worked with a handfull
of others for the subsidiary that did that for awhile. The company sold
insurance because insurance companies have mush of the capital, and for
a similar reason it bought and operated banks.. We made PVC and other
chemical products. I worked in many of the company`s divisions when they
asked for my services. We eventually put the pipeline divison under
computer control from from Houston dispatcher`s office. Hundred of
remotes were involved between Maine and Mexico.

I`ve wound plenty of coils and tuned many mobile whips with my own
hands. We used HF radios from Ecuador to Tierra del Fuego. I`ve worked
on HF and VHF radios in the company`s aircraft. When I retired in 1986,
I was manager of telecommunications.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

[email protected] May 1st 06 12:10 PM

Velocity Factor and resonant frequency

Yuri,

Just a fair warning.

I'd be very careful what you say in public.
At some point your big mouth and very small brain will get you into
trouble.

Do not be too bold with your personal comments when you do not know
what you are saying and your statements are full of errors. False
statements if they cause harm will backfire on you, I can promise that.

On a similar topic, don't blame others for your lack of self-esteem.
When you are and how you feel about yourself isn't anyone's problem but
you own. You make your own reputation Yuri. Please don't try to make
me look as bad as you.

Tom

Yuri Blanarovich May 1st 06 01:48 PM

Velocity Factor and resonant frequency

There you go again.
What applies to you , you are trying to slap on others.
Reputation is judged by others, judging our doings and record.
How is your statement "JI Engineering" made in public and publications
justified?

I will not go into listing my accomplishments and professional background
like Richard did (it would be another big egg on your pea brain and big
mouth), I don't make living of ham radio and I don't care what you think.
Fair warning back to you! You starting to sound like Freaktenna, nice going!

73 Yuri

ps.com...

Dave May 1st 06 03:07 PM

Velocity Factor and resonant frequency

Yuri and Tom,

AD Hominem gains nothing except to raise blood pressure and raise
hostility. It certainly does not contribute to the discussion.

Reasonable people can and do disagree.

Please, in the interest of Harmony and Respect, let's move on.

/S/ Deacon Dave (Rev. Mr.), W1MCE

Tom Donaly May 1st 06 04:37 PM

Dave wrote:
Yuri and Tom,

AD Hominem gains nothing except to raise blood pressure and raise
hostility. It certainly does not contribute to the discussion.

Reasonable people can and do disagree.

Please, in the interest of Harmony and Respect, let's move on.

/S/ Deacon Dave (Rev. Mr.), W1MCE

This is one Christian I can agree with. It's hard to see how anyone
can get exercised over a coil of wire.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH