Old April 24th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Gary Smith

Default 2.4 Gig Wireless Card - No Antenna

Hi, i am wondering if using a wireless network card without an antenna will
destroy it. I presume the SWR would be right up so therefore will damage the
card. Any comments?

Gary

Old April 24th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

If you're talking about a laptop PCMCIA card, it probably has an
antenna on board.

If you're talking about a PCI card that plugs into a desktop and has a
removable antenna, I'm sure the power amplifier has protection
circuitry.

A high SWR doesn't necessary damage a transmitter that reduces the
output power as the impedance goes awry.

I don't think that the designers of 802.11b/g gear are going to be
counting on a good SWR at the output anyway, as people are going to
shove the computer in the corner with a bunch of cables on it in random
orientations/locations with respect to the antenna.

73, Dan

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM