Old May 4th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo

Default 4:1 balun question

Dan Richardson wrote:
On Tue, 02 May 2006 22:58:00 -0400, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Anyone here have a good web reference on making a 4:1 balun? I'm looking
for the dual core design, not the single core design. Lots of those to
google.

Do the single core designs really not work? I had a single core
homebrew that seemed to work, but I'm a tad confused after hearing that
they don't.

The Sept/Oct 2005 issue of QEX has a 4:1 balun design that may
interest you. It can be found on the ARRL's members only web site.

http://www.arrl.org/qex/2005/qx9roos.pdf

Thanks, Dan, I'm reading it now...

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 4th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo

Cecil Moore wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:

Do the single core designs really not work? I had a single core
homebrew that seemed to work, but I'm a tad confused after hearing
that they don't.

The single core designs are usually voltage baluns and
what we hams want are balanced currents. I don't see
why you couldn't just add a husky 1:1 W2DU style choke
on the 50 ohm side of your 4:1 voltage balun to inhibit
common mode current. The extra toroid in the afore mentioned
QEX article is a 1:1 choke attached to a 4:1 voltage balun.

I think you are right, Cecil. I'm digesting the pdf now. Probably take
a few reads tho' it's been a long, long day....

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 4th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo

wrote:
Here is what seems to be a nice link for the Guanella 2 co
http://www.njqrp.org/balun/Balun%20M...0-%20final.pdf

Aha! I knew there was one out there somewhere!

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 4th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo

Butch Magee wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:

Anyone here have a good web reference on making a 4:1 balun? I'm
looking for the dual core design, not the single core design. Lots of
those to google.

Do the single core designs really not work? I had a single core
homebrew that seemed to work, but I'm a tad confused after hearing
that they don't.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Better, easier and probably cheaper to buy what you need from Buxcomm.com

I think you're right, Butch, but I *really* love making my own stuff. 8^)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 4th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Richardson

On Wed, 03 May 2006 13:22:45 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

The single core designs are usually voltage baluns and
what we hams want are balanced currents. I don't see
why you couldn't just add a husky 1:1 W2DU style choke
on the 50 ohm side of your 4:1 voltage balun to inhibit
common mode current. The extra toroid in the afore mentioned
QEX article is a 1:1 choke attached to a 4:1 voltage balun.

Did you read the article Cecil? He place the current balun/choke on
the opposite side. Looked like an interesting approach.

Danny

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one
useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three
or more is a congress. - John Adams

email: k6mheatarrldotnet
http://www.k6mhe.com/

Old May 4th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Dan Richardson wrote:
Did you read the article Cecil? He place the current balun/choke on
the opposite side. Looked like an interesting approach.

Yes, I'm wondering if things would change if the positions
were reversed? How does that choke perform when it sees
2000 + j1000 ohms?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old May 4th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

When it sees 2000 + j1000 ohms there's hardly any current to choke
anyway.

Old May 4th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

"Reg Edwards" wrote:
When it sees 2000 + j1000 ohms there's hardly any current to choke
anyway.

Yes, but how much current is there 3/8WL back from that point?
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Old May 4th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
om...

"Reg Edwards" wrote:
When it sees 2000 + j1000 ohms there's hardly any current to choke
anyway.

Yes, but how much current is there 3/8WL back from that point?
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Isn't that where you should be placing the choke? Give it some work
to do! Don't blame the choke for doing nothing. Blame yourself!
----
Reg.

Old May 4th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

"Reg Edwards" wrote:

W5DXP wrote:
Yes, but how much current is there 3/8WL back from that point?

Isn't that where you should be placing the choke?

Kinda hard to do if the feedline is ladder-line. Maybe a more
logical thing to do is to increase the length of the ladder-line until
a current maximum point is available at the coax/ladder-line
junction.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

dipole and balun question [email protected] Antenna 2 December 13th 05 05:38 AM
Antenna Ground Question Gary Weber Shortwave 5 December 5th 04 08:36 PM
4:1 balun question PDRUNEN Antenna 1 January 23rd 04 10:39 AM
Balun Grounding Question ? Robert11 Antenna 6 November 23rd 03 09:39 PM