Old May 13th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna cables in metallic conduit?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to running my antenna cables
(mostly RG-8 and some RG-58 and Twinax for loops) in metallic
electrical conduit, probably 1/2" EMT?

The shack is in the basement and various antennas come in through the
roof/attic, three stories up. Currently the antenna cables drop down a
fairly clear hole shared with some vent pipes and Ethernet (CAT-5) and
phone wires.

I have some 1/2" EMT with the tools and some experience
bending/installing it.

I do observe some RFI between computers etc. throughout the house and
the ham/SW antennas. Would putting either the coax or the CAT-5 or both
(separate conduit) help any?

I'm guessing the antenna and ethernet conduits, if I do it, should be
bonded to the household ground near the electrical panel etc. for
safety. Am I likely to get any grief from the electrical inspectors by
using metallic conduit for running non-AC cables, or for bonding it to
the same grounds? To me it's a no-brainer that a common ground would
increase safety but in past electrical inspections they've given me
some minor grief for the antenna cables which were well-grounded near
the entrance panel. They pointed to a really really crappy CATV
installation and said that I had to do it that way.

Tim.

Old May 13th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to running my antenna cables
(mostly RG-8 and some RG-58 and Twinax for loops) in metallic
electrical conduit, probably 1/2" EMT?

The shack is in the basement and various antennas come in through the
roof/attic, three stories up. Currently the antenna cables drop down a
fairly clear hole shared with some vent pipes and Ethernet (CAT-5) and
phone wires.

There are no RF disadvantages of running the coax in a metallic conduit.
YOu may get some shielding and also some lightning protection if the conduit
is grounded, but it is doubtful it would really be noticed if good quality
cable is used. YOu just can not run unshielded twin lead or ballanced line
in the conduit.

Old May 14th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery

Another reason for doing multiple smaller runs of the EMT is that there
is 2nd-story room where the cables run through tacked onto the wall,
it'd be nicer to have whatever conduit goes through that room to be as
unobtrusive as possible. I was thinking of multiple 1/2" EMT's up
against the wall, although maybe a single fat conduit might be less
obtrusive.

3" EMT seems to be about ten times more expensive than 1/2" EMT.
Although it undoubtedly could carry more than ten times as much RG-8
:-).

Instead of EMT you may want to use some of the plastic electrical conduit.
Not sure if it would meet the building codes for what you want by going from
one floor to the next. It is sort of a grey colored PVC type of pipe.
Probalby not really PVC but another plastic.
It will do nothing for the shielding, just may be neater to run than the
plain coax.

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
significance of feedline orientation Brian Shortwave 6 October 22nd 04 01:43 AM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM