Old May 19th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Ring

Default Spark 2006

This is from the Yahoo Live Wire group. I thought some here might be
interested in it.

tom
K0TAR

-------------------------------------

Message 8
From: "David H Hatch"
Date: Wed May 17, 2006 5:26pm(PDT)
Subject: Spark gap - Marconi 2006

Hi Live-Wires,

With permission, I am posting the following regarding the Marconi 2006
event.

--------------

Dan W7OIL has informed the team leader that he is nearly ready with the
passive receiver and adaptations for an INC.

So today, WI7B is happy to announce they have achieved spark in their 800
KHz rotary spark gap transmitter. They built it from a "Franken'd" Chevy V8
single point distributor and spark coil. With 7 VDC it generates a hefty
0.5 inch spark every 1/500 second (500 Hz rep rate).

I've attached photos of the setup and the spark gap, both un-energized and
energized.

See the progress on the sparkgap he

http://www.wireservices.com/n9zrt/Marconi-06/

Jim NY7T and W7OIL will be adding the LCR circuitry to the spark gap, then
move it out the "ranch" to couple to a 375m quarter wave antenna.

The group has an STA from the FCC-OET to operate an 800 KHz spark gap
transmitter. Callsign WC9XLG. They are legal.