Old May 21st 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed

Default Auto-Tuners with balanced antenna?

Any recommendations for an automatic tuner that will work well with
balanced antennas fed with 600 ohm ladder line?

Specifically, I have in mind a 160M dipole fed with ladder line.

Ed K7AAT
Old May 21st 06, 07:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Oldridge

Ed wrote in
. 192.196:

Any recommendations for an automatic tuner that will work well with
balanced antennas fed with 600 ohm ladder line?

Specifically, I have in mind a 160M dipole fed with ladder line.

Well, I've not tried THAT, specifically, but my MFJ939B will load a 50foot
piece of what looks like 200 or 150 ohm twinlead with half of one side
stripped away just fine, if I connect up the internal balun. And I mean
LOAD it--on any frequency from 1.8 to 30mhz.

I've also loaded small loops with it well off their resonant points and use
it all the time to lead hamstick whips well off their resonant points.

I don't think you'd have any real trouble as long as the 600 ohm line ran
straight away from the antenna, at least in the near field.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667
Old May 21st 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
KC1DI

Ed wrote:
Any recommendations for an automatic tuner that will work well with
balanced antennas fed with 600 ohm ladder line?

Specifically, I have in mind a 160M dipole fed with ladder line.

Ed K7AAT

I use the LDG z100 with and external Balun Works well for me.
73 Dave kc1di

Old May 21st 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Lew wrote:
I run a SGC ATU to my Dipole with ladder line with no problems

Isn't that contrary to SGC's recommendations?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 21st 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Me

In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

Lew wrote:
I run a SGC ATU to my Dipole with ladder line with no problems

Isn't that contrary to SGC's recommendations?

Only if you believe that SGC, has a CLUE about how their autotuner
works, and the design of the firmware that runs it.............

Me
Old May 21st 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Alan WA4SCA

Ed,

Take a look at http://www.hamware.de/index.html Just got back from
Dayton, and the ones on display looked solidly built, though that is
no indication of how well they actually work. Eham has some positive
reviews of an earlier model. No personal experience.

--
Alan
WA4SCA
Old May 23rd 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Pete Connors

On Sun, 21 May 2006 20:59:04 GMT, Alan WA4SCA
wrote:

Ed,

Take a look at http://www.hamware.de/index.html Just got back from
Dayton, and the ones on display looked solidly built, though that is
no indication of how well they actually work. Eham has some positive
reviews of an earlier model. No personal experience.

I am just about to install a hamware AT-502 in my back garden to tune
a 67ft doublet fed with ladder line. On 1.8MHz (and sometimes on 3.5 &
7MHz) I'll be using the ASU-502 accessory switch, strapping the
feeders together and tuning it as a T against a crappy ground .
I'll let youse all know how it works out.

Pete, G4PLZ
--
Pete

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 06:18 PM
Imax ground plane question Vinnie S. CB 151 April 15th 05 05:21 AM