Old May 23rd 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

Default Is the little ball on top of my antenna the ionsphere?

Ed wrote:
Jay wrote in
k.net:

I put the ball to a metal grinder and I could easily see an outer F
layer and then the E layer. I couldn't find a D layer, but it was
dark outside and there's not supposed to be a D layer at night. Neat
how antenna's can be manufactured to do that.

Just passed my tech and General on Sunday so I'll be on the bands as
soon as I find out my callsign and get an ionsphere for my antenna. I
destroyed the old one on the grinder and I hear you need a good
ionsphere to shoot good skip and hear far away stations. Reception has
been really ****ty lately without the ionsphere. I looked through the
last 4 issues of QST and I couldn't find anyone selling ionsphere's.
Where can I get one, or do I have to buy a whole new antenna?

You don't need a new one. The old one probably got stuck in your coax
by back-feed when you were grinding. Just get an RF brush and give your
coax a few swipes and the ionosphere should pop right back out!

Don't forget the electron grease.

--
Britney Spears' Guide to Semiconductor Physics
http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm
Old May 24th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
Slow Code

Jay wrote:

I put the ball to a metal grinder and I could easily see an outer F
layer and then the E layer. I couldn't find a D layer, but it was dark
outside and there's not supposed to be a D layer at night. Neat how
antenna's can be manufactured to do that.

Just passed my tech and General on Sunday so I'll be on the bands as
soon as I find out my callsign and get an ionsphere for my antenna. I
destroyed the old one on the grinder and I hear you need a good
ionsphere to shoot good skip and hear far away stations.

So how'd you do on the CW portion of the test?

sc
Old May 24th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
an_old_friend

Slow Code wrote:
Jay wrote:

So how'd you do on the CW portion of the test?

well enough he claims

whcih means you should be happy for him he passed the code test

sc

Old May 24th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Barnard

clifto wrote:
Ed wrote:

[...]

Was that the stuff that replaced the etheric oil?

JB

Old May 24th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
Topaz305RK

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

TROLL-O-METER

Old June 2nd 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
Steve N.

"Stan Shankman" wrote in message
No, it's the Eye-Off-Sphere :-)

Hey! I like that!

73, Steve, k9DCi

Old June 2nd 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
Stephanie Weil

Jay wrote:
I put the ball to a metal grinder and I could easily see an outer F layer
and then the E layer.

Hehhhhhh

That little ball is a magnet. It's what actually attracts and catches
those snippets of radio wave that are hovering all around you.

See? That's why coat-hangers never work as antennas.

And supposedly aluminium can be used to amplify certain wavelengths.
Which is why tin-foil wads on the ionosphere also improve reception.

--
Steph (Bridge and Tunnel for Sale) Weil

Old June 3rd 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

SW,

Coat Hanger make great Antenna for Walking About.

Leave the Coat Hanger in the Coat.

Put the Coat-on.

Put a Radio in the Breast-Pocket of the Coat.

Attach a short little Wire from the Radio to the CoatHanger.

You Got Radio ! ~ RHF
[ But it can be a Pain-in-the-Back :-]
Old June 3rd 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
Dave

its actually the anti-ion-sphere if you want to get technical.

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
"All Waves" Spherical {Metal Ball} Antenna an all around Isotropic Radiator :o) RHF Shortwave 1 April 27th 06 08:39 AM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM