RadioBanter

-   -   I was going through about ten years of ham catalogs, and I noticed a disturbing trend. (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/95307-i-going-through-about-ten-years-ham-catalogs-i-noticed-disturbing-trend.html)

[email protected] June 8th 06 05:14 AM

Caught Sending Morse (was Give up CB for ham?)

A friend of mine and a high school classmate got caught doing the same
thing. Some very creative descriptions of the teachers'
extracurricular activities, until one of the teachers turned out to be
a ham...

Showed them the piece of paper he was copying on :-)

73
Dan
N3OX

Caveat Lector wrote:
During long boring meetings at an Aerospace company, my buddy and I would
send Morse by pencil taps, sharp tap was a dit and a tap-scrape was a dah.
Worked well until a new manager gave his fist talk assuring us nothing would
change - we tapped out BS.

After the meeting, the new manager asked my buddy and I to stay for a moment
after the meeting,

With a smile, he sed Hi guys -- I'm W#XYZ

Real call sign disguised to protect the guilty (;-)

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"kd5sak" wrote in message
et...

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. com...
clfe wrote:
How do you send a 'dash' by tapping on a pipe? You
apparently could revolutionize prison communications
by providing an answer to that simple question.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

How about a fast double tap on the pipe (or bar) to signify a "dash"? It's
not an elegant solution, but could be made to work. Those guys are
probably not gonna try for 30 characters per minute anyway.

Harold
KD5SAK

[email protected] June 8th 06 09:26 AM

wrote:
A friend of mine and a high school classmate got caught doing the same
thing. Some very creative descriptions of the teachers'
extracurricular activities, until one of the teachers turned out to be
a ham...

Passing notes in school is how I first learned the code. Took about two
weeks to memorize all the letters so I didn't need a cheat sheet.
I never got caught though. :/
MK

Bill Turner June 8th 06 11:43 PM

Give up CB for ham?

Bill Turner June 8th 06 11:45 PM

Give up CB for ham?

Cecil Moore June 9th 06 12:07 AM

Give up CB for ham?

Bill Turner wrote:
You have been reading too many stories of the valiant radio op on the
Titanic. Ain't gonna happen.

Seems the bullies are not all on SSB after all. Didn't the
Titanic's CW operator bully the California's CW operator to
such an extent that he turned off, turned in, and the rest
is history?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore June 9th 06 12:08 AM

Give up CB for ham?

Bill Turner wrote:
"Ham" is an adjective, not a noun.

Are you a ham? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

jawod June 9th 06 12:50 AM

Give up CB for ham?

Your CB origin is showing. "Ham" is an adjective, not a noun. One does
not "get into ham", one "gets into ham radio".

10-4?

Bill, W6WRT

Gee, Bill. That's mighty specific. But since you brought it up. "Ham"
can be used as a proper noun: "I'm a Ham". Not everyone goes to the
trouble of saying "ham radio operator".

It's also a sandwich.

clfe June 9th 06 02:29 AM

Give up CB for ham?

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
[...]

Not really, but I'm not in a mood to argue about stupid **** - anymore.
Actually, I could care less. My ham days are few and far in between due to
all the ass holes on there ruining it for the rest of us. Maybe you're
right.......... the code really didn't keep the crud off the radios. Hell,
why even have a test at all.

clfe June 9th 06 02:30 AM

Give up CB for ham?

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:54:14 -0400, "clfe" wrote:

One other thing........ I cut my teeth on CB back when the FCC was busting
CBers regularly for violations. I then got into Ham and Electronics.

Your CB origin is showing. "Ham" is an adjective, not a noun. One does
not "get into ham", one "gets into ham radio".

10-4?

Bill, W6WRT

For christ's sakes - a misuse of words - so what........ I'm not an English
Major. If that is all you can find to run off at the mouth about, why
bother?

Tom Ring June 9th 06 04:34 AM

Give up CB for ham?

clfe wrote:

Not really, but I'm not in a mood to argue about stupid **** - anymore.
Actually, I could care less. My ham days are few and far in between due to
all the ass holes on there ruining it for the rest of us. Maybe you're
right.......... the code really didn't keep the crud off the radios. Hell,
why even have a test at all.

Time to hang up your ticket I guess. We are all assholes, and you are
the only "true ham radio operator" left. Go play with yourself.

tom
K0TAR