RadioBanter

-   -   I was going through about ten years of ham catalogs, and I noticed a disturbing trend. (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/95307-i-going-through-about-ten-years-ham-catalogs-i-noticed-disturbing-trend.html)

Morse or Re-Morse May 27th 06 01:20 AM

I was going through about ten years of ham catalogs, and I noticed a disturbing trend.

There's an increase in recent years of ham gear Retailers offering an
expanding amount of citizen band radios and related products.

So Retailers have seen the changes in the type of people that are
making up and will be making up the US ham population, and have modified
their inventories and marketing to stay in step with it.

Gotta keep selling them radio's, Ten-Four?

Morse

M. May 27th 06 05:35 AM

I was going through about ten years of ham catalogs, and I noticed a disturbing trend.

Either that, or they noticed that the anal-retentive old fart CW losers
aren't buying new equipment so they're marketing to somebody who will.

. net...

Tom Ring May 28th 06 01:52 AM

Morse or Re-Morse wrote:

There's an increase in recent years of ham gear Retailers offering an
expanding amount of citizen band radios and related products.

So Retailers have seen the changes in the type of people that are
making up and will be making up the US ham population, and have modified
their inventories and marketing to stay in step with it.

Gotta keep selling them radio's, Ten-Four?

Morse

No, they aren't. Not the real ones.

GOAT.

tom
K0TAR

GregS June 1st 06 02:02 PM

I was going through about ten years of ham catalogs, and I noticed a disturbing trend.

In article , "Steve N." wrote:
$$

Steve

"Morse or Re-Morse" wrote in message
.net...
There's an increase in recent years of ham gear Retailers offering an
expanding amount of citizen band radios and related products.

So Retailers have seen the changes in the type of people that are
making up and will be making up the US ham population, and have modified
their inventories and marketing to stay in step with it.

Gotta keep selling them radio's, Ten-Four?

Well years back there were CB STORES everywhere, and places like Sears
and Wards sold CB's, not anymore. Someone has to sell them.
Very litle interest in CB these days, however its the only real way to try and communicate
with other drivers on the road.

greg

Morse or Re-Morse June 2nd 06 12:44 AM

I was going through about ten years of ham catalogs, and I noticed a disturbing trend.

(GregS) wrote in
:

In article , "Steve N."
wrote:
$$

Steve

"Morse or Re-Morse" wrote in message
k.net...
There's an increase in recent years of ham gear Retailers offering an
expanding amount of citizen band radios and related products.

So Retailers have seen the changes in the type of people that are
making up and will be making up the US ham population, and have
modified their inventories and marketing to stay in step with it.

Gotta keep selling them radio's, Ten-Four?

Well years back there were CB STORES everywhere, and places like Sears
and Wards sold CB's, not anymore. Someone has to sell them.

Radio Shack.

You got questions, we got blank stares.

Morse

Cecil Moore June 3rd 06 03:23 PM

I was going through about ten years of ham catalogs, and I noticed a disturbing trend.

"Morse or Re-Morse" wrote
Radio Shack. You got questions, we got blank stares.

My 17 year old RS Optimus speakers gave up the ghost. I went into
a Radio Shack and was told that not only does RS not sell speakers
like that anymore, but speakers with one tweeter plus one mid-range
plus one woofer were not even manufactured anymore and that it
takes half a dozen modular speakers to set up a system nowadays.

I went over to Fry's Electronics and found exactly what I was
looking for from Cambridge Soundworks. The woofer only goes
down to 40 Hz but for my karaoke system, that's good enough.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Slow Code June 4th 06 11:24 PM

I was going through about ten years of ham catalogs, and I noticed a disturbing trend.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in
y.net:

"Morse or Re-Morse" wrote
Radio Shack. You got questions, we got blank stares.

My 17 year old RS Optimus speakers gave up the ghost. I went into
a Radio Shack and was told that not only does RS not sell speakers
like that anymore, but speakers with one tweeter plus one mid-range
plus one woofer were not even manufactured anymore and that it
takes half a dozen modular speakers to set up a system nowadays.

I went over to Fry's Electronics and found exactly what I was
looking for from Cambridge Soundworks. The woofer only goes
down to 40 Hz but for my karaoke system, that's good enough.

A microphone, a six-pack, a karaoke system, & you're a star. :-)

sc

Cecil Moore June 5th 06 03:33 AM

Yep, see: http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/w5dxp.jpg
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

[email protected] June 5th 06 08:04 PM

Give up CB for ham?

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

David G. Nagel June 5th 06 08:16 PM

Give up CB for ham?

wrote:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

Both services have their place. I would keep the CB and install a
multi-band Ham radio such as the ICOM IC-706MKIIG or a Kenwood or Yaesu
and a multi-band antenna to match. You will find both an adventure.

Dave WD9BDZ

Dave Platt June 5th 06 08:54 PM

Give up CB for ham?

In article .com,
wrote:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

I think that you asked precisely that same question (modulo one typo)
back on May 16th, April 15th, and April 3.

I think you have no serious interest in the answers you've received.

I think you're acting like a juvenile troll, and therefore receive 0
points on the Troll-o-meter (with a three-point penalty for showing an
utter lack of imagination in your trolling).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

[email protected] June 5th 06 09:30 PM

Give up CB for ham?

Dave Platt wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

I think that you asked precisely that same question (modulo one typo)
back on May 16th, April 15th, and April 3.

I think you have no serious interest in the answers you've received.

I think you're acting like a juvenile troll, and therefore receive 0
points on the Troll-o-meter (with a three-point penalty for showing an
utter lack of imagination in your trolling).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Does this mean you're as anal retentive as your mother?

notbob June 5th 06 09:58 PM

Give up CB for ham?

On 2006-06-05, wrote:
Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

Depends on how you feel about inbred hicks. If you're right at home
with rednecks, white socks, and Blue Ribbon beer, CB may be your
thing. OTOH, if electronic hole theory of semiconductor physics is
more your cup of tea, ham may better suit.

Both camps can be serious as a heart attack about their equipment. My
late FIL was an avid CB'er. He had the first Yaesu I ever saw. A
$1600 model under a huge boom antenna on a rotating mast which he used
to talk skip all over the country. His boat and car both sported
illegal linears pumping top o' the line Cobras. I know he didn't know
spit about antenna theory, and probably more importantly, didn't care.
But, he knew who to ask and being able to do so on his rig is what
it's all about, right.

While I, myself, was never attracted to long discussions with truckers
about the merits of strip clubs or local gossip about the "new
waitress down at Bubba's", I knew some of the local CB'ers and knew
they were good people. CB, specially with respect to home stations,
is just another mode of communication to them. This is more true in
rural communities. The ham crowd, OTOH, by it's very nature of
requiring a basic knowledge of science, tends to attract a more geeky
element, a more literate slice of humanity. Not necessarilly better,
or even smarter, just more educated and more into the technology of
radio communications.

Try them both and then choose one or the other ...or both. Good
people are good people, no matter the media.

nb

Allodoxaphobia June 5th 06 10:56 PM

Give up CB for ham?

On 5 Jun 2006 12:04:37 -0700, wrote:
Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

I think it's off topic in an antenna ng.
But, then, a usenet troll wouldn't be expected to observe protocol.

Slow Code June 6th 06 12:50 AM

Give up CB for ham?

wrote in
oups.com:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

Which of your trucks were you thinking of updating? Your old rust bucket
truck that still runs, or the one on blocks that you call your base
station?

sc

Radio Buff June 6th 06 12:50 AM

I was going through about ten years of ham catalogs, and I noticed a disturbing trend.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in
m:

"Slow Code" wrote:
A microphone, a six-pack, a karaoke system, & you're a star. :-)

Yep, see: http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/w5dxp.jpg

Have to start calling you Slim Whitman.

sc

Dave Platt June 6th 06 01:03 AM

I was going through about ten years of ham catalogs, and I noticed a disturbing trend.

A microphone, a six-pack, a karaoke system, & you're a star. :-)

Yep, see: http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/w5dxp.jpg

Have to start calling you Slim Whitman.

Another definite advantage to CW, I suppose. With SSB there's no
telling when you might hear something that could make your head explode.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Tom Ring June 6th 06 02:37 AM

Give up CB for ham?

wrote:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

You should go for your license. The additional privelages are quite
worthwhile. I will warn you that there are still quite a few inbred
hicks that got their ham tickets, unfortunately. The good thing is most
of them seem to be extra class, and are mostly older and will be gone
soon. It's a leftover effect of requiring Morse ability as opposed to
operating knowledge.

tom
K0TAR

David G. Nagel June 6th 06 05:59 AM

Give up CB for ham?

Tom Ring wrote:

wrote:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

You should go for your license. The additional privelages are quite
worthwhile. I will warn you that there are still quite a few inbred
hicks that got their ham tickets, unfortunately. The good thing is most
of them seem to be extra class, and are mostly older and will be gone
soon. It's a leftover effect of requiring Morse ability as opposed to
operating knowledge.

tom
K0TAR

The problem with the newbys with nocode techs is that they don't realize
that knowing the code is just as important as knowing how to press the
on/off button.

Dave WD9BDZ

clfe June 6th 06 02:54 PM

Give up CB for ham?

wrote:

[...]

One other thing........ I cut my teeth on CB back when the FCC was busting
CBers regularly for violations. I then got into Ham and Electronics. ALL
radio services "CAN" and "DO" have a place when it comes to chatting,
information exchange OR emergencies. ALL groups "can" work in unison for the
betterment of mankind if desired. Ham has it's place. CB was used mostly by
those such as "Auxiliary Police" - where not everyone had to have a "code"
much less a license to have studied for - to use radios for their purposes.
SEAT-REACT when operated properly was as useful as the Ham groups for
emergencies.
At one time, I belonged to REACT and some local Ham groups. I'm heavily
involved in Public Safety - so I got the best of both worlds. The REACT team
died and if I'm not mistaken, maybe the founding unit. Believe me - in a
HUGE disaster our fire band was SWAMPED. Ham and CB alike WERE IMPORTANT.
I had information on both coming to me - which was of enormous help. I was
getting information that was not able to be had via the Fire Radio - due to
it being so laden with traffic. I often use FRS radios now too - to avoid
tying up the Fire Frequencies here. I USE WHAT I MUST to get the job done.

clfe

An EMA Coordinator/Firefighter - line officer and former medic - self
employed in radio.

Cecil Moore June 6th 06 08:01 PM

Give up CB for ham?

clfe wrote:
Many of you may have heard of the Quecreek Mine incident in PA some time
ago. A pipe was drilled down into the shaft. Those at the surface heard 9
taps on it, signifying there were 9 miners there. NOW - if any of those
miners KNEW code, they could have gotten a message to the surface as to what
conditions were exactly, the extent of injuries as best they could, etc.

Not by tapping. International Morse requires dashes as well
as taps (dots). There is a tap code used in prisons that will
accomplish communications under those circumstances. And since
more people have been in prison than hold an amateur radio
license, seems that it would make more sense to require knowing
the tap code than to require knowing International Morse code.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

clfe June 6th 06 10:07 PM

Give up CB for ham?

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. com...
clfe wrote:
Many of you may have heard of the Quecreek Mine incident in PA some time
ago. A pipe was drilled down into the shaft. Those at the surface heard 9
taps on it, signifying there were 9 miners there. NOW - if any of those
miners KNEW code, they could have gotten a message to the surface as to
what conditions were exactly, the extent of injuries as best they could,
etc.

Not by tapping. International Morse requires dashes as well
as taps (dots). There is a tap code used in prisons that will
accomplish communications under those circumstances. And since
more people have been in prison than hold an amateur radio
license, seems that it would make more sense to require knowing
the tap code than to require knowing International Morse code.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

DUH - I KNOW THAT - I was just saying the tapping let the people at the
surface know there were 9 people down there. MORSE CODE - "could" have
relayed much more info if one of them knew it. REREAD my message.......

I am fully aware of what "code" is, I'm an Extra myself - have been for
quite some time. I am also a VE Test Team leader.

clfe

LLOYD THE LARDASS LOSER DAVIES June 6th 06 11:40 PM

Give up CB for ham?

I'm an inbred alabama hick and I hate CB.

Lloyd Davies N0VFP
Cow Cornholer
Nutsackkk Gobbler
Dumpster Dweller
in Athens, Alabama

oups.com...

Tom Ring June 7th 06 01:58 AM

Give up CB for ham?

Tom Ring wrote:

wrote:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

You should go for your license. The additional privelages are quite
worthwhile. I will warn you that there are still quite a few inbred
hicks that got their ham tickets, unfortunately. The good thing is most
of them seem to be extra class, and are mostly older and will be gone
soon. It's a leftover effect of requiring Morse ability as opposed to
operating knowledge.

tom
K0TAR

Boy it's fun what a little trolling can do to my peers. I'm also an
Extra, and licensed for 29 years.

Code is worth what it can do, but has had less and less to do with the
hobby for decades. It's a great hobby within the hobby on HF, and was
the core of EME for years. It still is to some extent, but advances due
to moving up in frequency as well as computer based modes as low as 6
and 2 meters are making it something used for EME as much for fun and
stubborness as for usefullness. SSB is a very popular mode on EME now
among the big guns.

CW is dead as far as being needed. It's a great thing to have as a
skill, but is now as needed as spark.

The person who said they could key an HT to send CW was stretching it
way beyond reality. Ain't gonna happen, any more than someone will make
a spark transmitter by keying a big bunch of wire they wound in a coil
when trapped in their basement by touching it to the hot side of the
drop in their fusebox.

tom
K0TAR

clfe June 7th 06 02:15 AM

Give up CB for ham?

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
.. .
Tom Ring wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure if you're referring to my post or someone else's who I didn't
see. In "my" example - I was saying if a MIC was broken and they knew code,
they could short out the tranmit pins - like making and breaking contact
such as a key would do - to broadcast a coded message. It "can" be done.
There is what is/was known as "Modulated CW". And, I've seen guys key an
H.T. OR Mic and do code with an "Oscillator" with the other hand - thereby
transmitting the code - from the Oscillator speaker through the mic of the
H.T or radio. Maybe that is what "they" were referring to - I don't know.

clfe

clfe June 7th 06 02:22 AM

Give up CB for ham?

"clfe" wrote in message

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
.. .
Tom Ring wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Then too along with the above - they "could" have been referring to using
the "key pad" to send code while the H.T. was keyed OR using the keypad on a
mic while it was keyed......... If memory serves me correct - at the moment
(slips at times) - THAT would be equivalent to MCW (Modulated CW). I've seen
that done too.

clfe

Butch Magee June 7th 06 02:26 AM

Give up CB for ham?

wrote:
Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

Dont you fall for these dastardly lies. You stay right where you are.
Trust me you do not want to be where we are, in 50 or so years you will
thank us for keeping you in cbland.

Butch

Cecil Moore June 7th 06 04:30 AM

Give up CB for ham?

clfe wrote:
DUH - I KNOW THAT - I was just saying the tapping let the people at the
surface know there were 9 people down there. MORSE CODE - "could" have
relayed much more info if one of them knew it. REREAD my message.......

How do you send a 'dash' by tapping on a pipe? You
apparently could revolutionize prison communications
by providing an answer to that simple question.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore June 7th 06 04:41 AM

Give up CB for ham?

clfe wrote:
I'm not sure if you're referring to my post or someone else's who I didn't
see. In "my" example - I was saying if a MIC was broken and they knew code,
they could short out the tranmit pins - like making and breaking contact
such as a key would do - to broadcast a coded message. It "can" be done.

Please tell us when, in human history, it has ever been done.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

jawod June 7th 06 05:22 AM

Give up CB for ham?

Cecil Moore wrote:

Please tell us when, in human history, it has ever been done.

Yes. It was an episode of the old Adam-12 TV series. Patrolman was
injured in a crashed cruiser. Mic out. but he could click the mic
button...the guy on the other end directed him to "click once if you
hear me and twice if you don't"

Classic television: you had to be there.

kd5sak June 7th 06 05:36 AM

Give up CB for ham?

clfe wrote:
How do you send a 'dash' by tapping on a pipe? You
apparently could revolutionize prison communications
by providing an answer to that simple question.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

How about a fast double tap on the pipe (or bar) to signify a "dash"? It's
not an elegant solution, but could be made to work. Those guys are probably
not gonna try for 30 characters per minute anyway.

Harold
KD5SAK

Caveat Lector June 7th 06 02:49 PM

Caught Sending Morse (was Give up CB for ham?)

During long boring meetings at an Aerospace company, my buddy and I would
send Morse by pencil taps, sharp tap was a dit and a tap-scrape was a dah.
Worked well until a new manager gave his fist talk assuring us nothing would
change - we tapped out BS.

After the meeting, the new manager asked my buddy and I to stay for a moment
after the meeting,

With a smile, he sed Hi guys -- I'm W#XYZ

Real call sign disguised to protect the guilty (;-)

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

et...

Cecil Moore June 7th 06 03:03 PM

Give up CB for ham?

jawod wrote:
I seem to remember that the original Morse code was all clicks.

Wasn't there a strong click when the receiver circuit
closed and a different weak click when the circuit
opened? The length of time between those two types of
clicks was either a dot or a dash?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Caveat Lector June 7th 06 03:33 PM

Give up CB for ham?

The first Morse machines scribed the dots and dashes on a moving strip of
paper. Operators of the day found that they could decode the sound of the
scriber by ear, so the scribing machines were scrapped.

http://www.maxmon.com/1880ad.htm

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
om...

Mike Burch June 8th 06 04:51 AM

Give up CB for ham?

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and admitting it. You got some
points for that. :-)

LLOYD THE LARDASS LOSER DAVIES wrote:
I'm an inbred alabama hick and I hate CB.

Lloyd Davies N0VFP
Cow Cornholer
Nutsackkk Gobbler
Dumpster Dweller