Old May 29th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed

Default Motor for remote controlled tuner

I'm considering building a remote controlled balanced tuner. Some type
of low RPM motor 12V reversable motor is what I have in mind to accomplish
the tuning. I will have two fairly hefty variable caps to turn along with
a moderatly sized roller inductor.

Can anyone here recommend a particular type motor, and a reasonable
source for the the type of motors I need? Tnx.

Ed K7AAT
Old May 29th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt

I'm considering building a remote controlled balanced tuner. Some type
of low RPM motor 12V reversable motor is what I have in mind to accomplish
the tuning. I will have two fairly hefty variable caps to turn along with
a moderatly sized roller inductor.

What you're probably going to want is a gearhead motor, with a
relatively low RPM rating (1 - 4 RPM is probably the right sort of
range). These have plenty of torque, and you can probably slow down
the rotation even further by using a lower DC voltage or by pulse-width
modulating a 12 VDC drive.

It'd be worth checking out a 24 VDC gearhead motor - it would run at a
slow speed on 12 VDC but might well have plenty of torque to rotate a
cap or inductor.

You'll need some sort of external limit-switch arrangement (e.g.
lever-type microswitches with bypass diodes) to cut off the drive
current when the inductor reaches the end of its range - gearhead
motors have more than enough torque to drive the inductor into its
stops and damage it.

Can anyone here recommend a particular type motor, and a reasonable
source for the the type of motors I need? Tnx.

Check the various surplus outfits on-line: All Electronics, Ocean
State Electronics, Electronics Goldmine, etc.. Going prices for DC
gearhead motors seem to be in the $10-$15 range. Goldmine has some
small gearhead motors (3 RPM at 6 volts) for $12, which might do the
job.

Also, check local surplus-machinery stores if there are any in your
area, and local hamfests/swapmeets. I picked up a bunch of 24 VDC
gearhead motors for a buck apiece at one of the latter.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old May 30th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I'm considering building a remote controlled balanced tuner. Some type
of low RPM motor 12V reversable motor is what I have in mind to accomplish
the tuning. I will have two fairly hefty variable caps to turn along with
a moderatly sized roller inductor.

Automobile electric-window motors should do the trick. I had to replace
one once and was impressed by it. But don't buy a new one; visit your
local auto junk yard!

--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
Old May 30th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hobby Engineering has a bunch of gearmotors...

http://www.hobbyengineering.com/SectionM.html#IX1415

I bought three to remote my tuner. Plenty of torque to turn the caps
and inductor switch in a "1500W" MFJ tuner. They're only $5.50 apiece
new.

They're also all-plastic gearboxes and output shafts, so you don't have
to worry about insulating shaft couplers, etc.

My gut feeling is that the ones I bought (Gear Motor 9: Right Angle
Shaft) could be a bit undersized to turn a roller inductor, especially
since you probably want to go a bit faster.

http://www.n3ox.net/projects/servo has info about my remote tuner.

73,
Dan
N3OX

Old May 30th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed

Thanks, Dan. Yours was a different take on what I was considering.
Will look into it.

Ed

" wrote in
oups.com:

Old May 30th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed

My thanks to Dave P, Dave, Dan, and Myron for the input. All was
useful, and has given me plenty to think about before I settle for any one
solution.

Thank you.

Ed K7AAT