Old June 7th 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave

Default sealing coax holes in outside wall

Self Vulcanizing Tape

Mike Y wrote:
When I used to work for a power company, they used a 'tape' that was
like a strip of rubber just under maybe 1/8" thick. When you pulled it off
the roll, you had to remove a paper backing, then 'stretch' the tape to
activate it. Then when it was wrapped around a connection, it would
'cure' into a solid mass.

I think RS used to sell something similar, but have no idea what it would
be called.

You might try some industrial electrical supply houses.

Mike

Old June 8th 06, 12:19 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim - NN7K

Think it scotch #23 tape (and several other
numbers . Home Depot and Lowes has the stuff
(Not to be confused with "Coax Connector Sealant"
Radio shack # 278-1645, which is also great for
sealing connectors against the weather). Great for
weatherproofing, but needs to be covered (it
is ultravilot sensitive) But- NOT to use it to
plug holes! Dux Seal (a.k.a. "Monkey ****" is
MUCH BETTER-- Jim NN7K

Old June 7th 06, 05:19 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roger

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 20:36:46 -0700, "Sal M. Onella"
wrote:

"Chris W" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the official name of the putty they use to seal
the holes you run your coax through so bugs don't crawl in the wall or
water doesn't get in? I like to get all my hardware type items from
mcmaster.com. I'm sure they have it, if I just know what it is called I
can find it on their website.

I use the "expandable foam" that comes in a can about the size of a
spray paint can. There are two types. The yellow foam that expands
and gets hard which also is sensitive to UV which will cause it to
change color (darken). Don't use this around areas where the pressure
of expansion can cause problems like sealing around a door.

They also have a "soft/flexible" version that is white and costs a bit
more. It's what I use to block the large conduit between the tower
and basement. http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm
Shows the conduit at the tower and coming in the basement. I just
squirted the stuff in. I wasn't worried about it being pretty, just
effective. With care you can be a lot more artistic. :-)) It's easy
to apply and easy to remove when necessary. Bugs and critters appear
to not like the stuff. I like it far better than the putty.

The yellow foam is a tad over $3 USD a can while the white, flexible
stuff is $4 or $5 a can. Both are usually available at Lowe's,
Builder's Square, and hard ware stores.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
I was thinking "electrician's putty" or similar -- what we used to call
"monkey ****" in the Navy, but I couldn't get a good match on Google for
those terms. While mulling this over, I remembered also Plumbers Putty.
While generally not used for coax, I have used it under sinks and in the
garage for sealing around pipe penetrations. What I have is light tan in
color. It stays soft and flexible (but I don't know what sunlight does to
it or whether it will take paint). It's cheap and available and might be
just what you need.

Old June 8th 06, 03:34 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
George

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

George
WB3HUH SAYS:

Try DOW Chemical's "Great Stuff ", a "Tripple Expanding Polyurethane
Foam Sealant"
This comes in a paint spray size can and is applied withan attachable
tube.
It sticks to everything, as it goes in as a liquid then expands to fill
even large holes.
It firms up and seals tight. Cable companies around here use it. Even
works well on cinder block

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com

Old June 8th 06, 07:05 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roger

On 7 Jun 2006 19:34:53 -0700, "George" wrote:

Chris W wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the official name of the putty they use to seal
the holes you run your coax through so bugs don't crawl in the wall or
water doesn't get in? I like to get all my hardware type items from
mcmaster.com. I'm sure they have it, if I just know what it is called I
can find it on their website.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

George
WB3HUH SAYS:

Try DOW Chemical's "Great Stuff ", a "Tripple Expanding Polyurethane
Foam Sealant

I'm surprised to see Dow with such a product when it competes with Dow
Corning's compounds which are sold under the DAP as well as Dow
Corning names.

This comes in a paint spray size can and is applied withan attachable
tube.
It sticks to everything, as it goes in as a liquid then expands to fill
even large holes.
It firms up and seals tight. Cable companies around here use it. Even
works well on cinder block

The various forms of expandable foam are easier to use, and to me work
far better than the putty and self vulcanizing tape. The Silastic
RTVs (TM) work well, but may be a bear to get out.

Old June 8th 06, 05:30 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim - NN7K

Roger wrote:

The various forms of expandable foam are easier to use, and to me work
far better than the putty and self vulcanizing tape. The Silastic
RTVs (TM) work well, but may be a bear to get out.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Altho, these may be easier to use than dux seal,
beware- if the stuff smells like Vinagar (as in
Ascetic acid) , you may be contaminateing your
coax, as is my understanding. And, MOST RTV's
have this feature (contaminateing your coax)!
Not a good situation! as info, Jim NN7K
Old June 8th 06, 08:58 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jimmie D

"Jim - NN7K" wrote in message
. net...

Roger wrote:

The various forms of expandable foam are easier to use, and to me work
far better than the putty and self vulcanizing tape. The Silastic
RTVs (TM) work well, but may be a bear to get out. Roger Halstead (K8RI
& ARRL life member)
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Altho, these may be easier to use than dux seal, beware- if the stuff
smells like Vinagar (as in
Ascetic acid) , you may be contaminateing your coax, as is my
understanding. And, MOST RTV's
have this feature (contaminateing your coax)!
Not a good situation! as info, Jim NN7K

Not usually a problem when going through a wall unless the outer insulation
is broken, but RTV is not may favorite for this. Plain old caulk works great
unless you have a big void to fill.

Old June 8th 06, 10:13 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roger

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:30:08 GMT, Jim - NN7K
wrote:

Roger wrote:

The various forms of expandable foam are easier to use, and to me work
far better than the putty and self vulcanizing tape. The Silastic
RTVs (TM) work well, but may be a bear to get out.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Altho, these may be easier to use than dux seal,
beware- if the stuff smells like Vinagar (as in
Ascetic acid) , you may be contaminateing your
coax, as is my understanding. And, MOST RTV's
have this feature (contaminateing your coax)!
Not a good situation! as info, Jim NN7K

Jimmie already go this one, but if the seal is pretty much out in the
open it will not contaminate the coax jacket. Normally the stuff
won't bother the jacket any way, just don't apply directly to copper
or aluminum braid as the Copper will turn green.

OTOH there are versions available in Silicon that are
non-contaminating and there are also latex/water based versions. Most
of the DAP (TM) ( made by DC) is water based although you can specify
Silicon. Once cured there is not a great deal of difference although
there are some.