Old June 9th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Jerry

Default Have any of you mailed this to your ARRL Division directors and SM's yet?

"Slow Code" wrote in message
k.net...
No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass all elements
required for their license class.

The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

Make the no-code Tech license one year non-renewable.

AH! HA! We can dress our daughters in poodle skirts and drive to the
testing session in our brand-new 1961
Chevrolet Impala Sport Sedan!

Time marches on, boys, and as we age into crotchety old men (Gosh, I hope I
don't do the "crotchety" part!), we long for the 'good old days'---whatever
THAT was.
Some of us cling desperately to Hallicrafters receivers and Globe King
transmitters we bought when our hair was dark and full, and loathe the new
'mini' transceivers (likely because we are befuddled by the menus), and we
want Amateur Radio to stay exactly the same as it was *just* for us! We fuss
at the newer automobiles and say "I wish they made 'em the way they used
to". I DON'T!
They are actually BETTER than Dad's '65 Galaxie, last longer and run better.
(Try to tell that to the past-dwelling guys who cling frantically to their
youth, and they'll lecture you on the virtues of a '56 Chevy AND the
51J2...not that the older stuff isn't "good", just part of the PAST! Which
we, BTW, should remember as a basis for advancing into the future.

I don't really like it that CW is going away, but it WILL go away so far as
necessity goes same way we don't commute to work in our '56 Fairlane. So we
ADAPT to change instead of vainly clinging to the way WE think it should
stay forever and a day. When we are dead and gone, the world will be vastly
different than we would've remembered it!

73

Jerry

sc

Old June 10th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Sal M. Onella

"Jerry" wrote in message

snip

I don't really like it that CW is going away, but it WILL go away so far

as
necessity goes same way we don't commute to work in our '56 Fairlane. So

we
ADAPT to change instead of vainly clinging to the way WE think it should
stay forever and a day. When we are dead and gone, the world will be

vastly
different than we would've remembered it!

It isn't going away any more than tubes are going away or crystal-controlled
oscillators are going away. Those of us who wish to use them are free to do
so (and this freedom will probably continue for a long time).

Railroad fans admire steam locomotives, car buffs fawn over a Model T and
old men love their old wives. But in each case, the object of their
affection is, like Morse Code, past its peak of popularity and practicality.
Yes, learn Morse, use Morse, even love Morse -- but for crying out loud,
stop pretending it's the be-all-end-all of ham radio -- because it isn't.

Yes, yes, yes -- I know Morse Code will get through when other modes fail.
I've heard it a hundred times, so it must be true. However, this doleful
situation almost never presents itself. If this were a practical view of
the world, then we should all buy Army tanks, the better to navigate the
rubble of a natural disaster when all other means of transportation are
unavailable. (Not a perfect metaphor; work with me, OK?)

Although I have no objection to YOU using Morse Code, I personally resent it
because I can't learn it. I've wasted countless hours trying and it just
doesn't happen for me. Too bad, so sad. But there are rays of sunshine.
The FCC may just lift the requirement off my shoulders before another year
passes and in the meantime, maybe I'll rack up more club FD points on
UHF/VHF voice than the HF guys on all modes combined. I did it in both 2004
and 2005.

"Sal"
(KD6VKW)

Old June 10th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
jawod

Sal M. Onella wrote:
"Jerry" wrote in message

snip

[...]

too bad, so sad, indeed

You know, as long as there are effective band plans allowing for CW,
data, voice, etc., I really don't care what the FCC does. I learned
Morse code as a teenager so I really can't relate to the impossibility
of the task. Don't know how THIS old dog would do with a new trick.
All I can say is CW is very enjoyable to me and deserves a prominent
place within the bands.
Old June 12th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Sal M. Onella

"jawod" wrote in message ...

snip

I really can't relate to the impossibility
of the task. Don't know how THIS old dog would do with a new trick.

I have a similar inability to relate, but it has to do with math. Most of
it I ever studied came easily to me. However, some poor souls cannot regard
simple real life situations in terms of math. For example, E-max for my
lovely bride is the checkbook. That's it. [How many square yards in a 9 x
12 foot carpet? Duh - what color is it?]

I learn new tricks every day. Morse Code isn't one of them.

Old June 12th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.swap
Michael Coslo

Sal M. Onella wrote:
"jawod" wrote in message ...

snip

I really can't relate to the impossibility
of the task. Don't know how THIS old dog would do with a new trick.

I have a similar inability to relate, but it has to do with math. Most of
it I ever studied came easily to me. However, some poor souls cannot regard
simple real life situations in terms of math. For example, E-max for my
lovely bride is the checkbook. That's it. [How many square yards in a 9 x
12 foot carpet? Duh - what color is it?]

I learn new tricks every day. Morse Code isn't one of them.

The real issue is probably that HF privileges are probably just not that
important to you. I have enough hearing problems that learning Morse was
darn hard. 60-70 db tinnitus, (est) and hearing holes in the higher
frequencies, and just can't hear for crap.

When I got my Tech license, a lot of people told me that "Morse code is
going away any day now, no need to learn that stuff".

I'm glad I didn't listen to them - I have had HF access for 6 years
now, and if learning Morse was the price I had to pay, then it was worth
it. YMMV

Since it may be a couple years more until the Morse code test is
eliminated (if even then) my decision is looking better all the time.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old June 13th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.swap
Sal M. Onella

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
Sal M. Onella wrote:

snip
I learn new tricks every day. Morse Code isn't one of them.

The real issue is probably that HF privileges are probably just not that
important to you.

snip

Thanks for explaining it so clearly. That just makes everything right.

Old June 13th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.swap
Michael Coslo

Sal M. Onella wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
Sal M. Onella wrote:

snip
I learn new tricks every day. Morse Code isn't one of them.

The real issue is probably that HF privileges are probably just not that
important to you.

snip

Thanks for explaining it so clearly. That just makes everything right.

Hey, no prob.

I don't use Morse code, probably never will, unless I get into keyboard
Morse.

But I did want the HF access, so I learned Morse code. It was that
important to me.

As for what is right, do you know that there are thousands, maybe
millions of people who can't pass the writtens? How is it right that we
have any testing at all when we discriminate against them?

It isn't an insult to anyone to say that HF access isn't important
enough to them that they will take the time and effort to learn Morse
code. Ham radio doesn't have to be important to anyone - it's a hobby.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old June 13th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.swap
an_old_friend

Michael Coslo wrote:
Sal M. Onella wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

As for what is right, do you know that there are thousands, maybe
millions of people who can't pass the writtens? How is it right that we
have any testing at all when we discriminate against them?

I am ceertainly willing to discuss non test based quilifaction frot he
ARS but that is a non no to even discuss

It isn't an insult to anyone to say that HF access isn't important
enough to them that they will take the time and effort to learn Morse
code. Ham radio doesn't have to be important to anyone - it's a hobby.

yes it is if the person says it is one right we ALL have mike is to
decide for ourselves what is insulting to US

It is an insult to mandate testing in 19th century tech in a service
using PUBLICLY own property and claiming to have anything to do with
techinal admavncement, esp if I say it is since I am more important
than the regs at least on some elvels I am a man not a mindless sheep

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 13th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.swap
Eric the hair Oyen

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
ups.com...

I am a man not a mindless sheep

You and Eric have sex with men and sheep.