Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 9th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Jerry

Default Have any of you mailed this to your ARRL Division directors and SM's yet?

"Slow Code" wrote in message
k.net...
No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass all elements
required for their license class.

The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

Make the no-code Tech license one year non-renewable.

AH! HA! We can dress our daughters in poodle skirts and drive to the
testing session in our brand-new 1961
Chevrolet Impala Sport Sedan!

Time marches on, boys, and as we age into crotchety old men (Gosh, I hope I
don't do the "crotchety" part!), we long for the 'good old days'---whatever
THAT was.
Some of us cling desperately to Hallicrafters receivers and Globe King
transmitters we bought when our hair was dark and full, and loathe the new
'mini' transceivers (likely because we are befuddled by the menus), and we
want Amateur Radio to stay exactly the same as it was *just* for us! We fuss
at the newer automobiles and say "I wish they made 'em the way they used
to". I DON'T!
They are actually BETTER than Dad's '65 Galaxie, last longer and run better.
(Try to tell that to the past-dwelling guys who cling frantically to their
youth, and they'll lecture you on the virtues of a '56 Chevy AND the
51J2...not that the older stuff isn't "good", just part of the PAST! Which
we, BTW, should remember as a basis for advancing into the future.

I don't really like it that CW is going away, but it WILL go away so far as
necessity goes same way we don't commute to work in our '56 Fairlane. So we
ADAPT to change instead of vainly clinging to the way WE think it should
stay forever and a day. When we are dead and gone, the world will be vastly
different than we would've remembered it!

73

Jerry

sc