Old June 16th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Win

Default Force 12 C-3 on 6 Mtrs

I have been told that the Force 12 C-3SS does not have much of a
pattern on 6 meters. Today, however, on 6 meters, with a C-3SS, it
appeared that I had good forward lobe, and maybe even some front to
back.

Has anyone modeled this antenna for 6 meter. If so I would love to
see the pattern.

Win, w0lz
Old June 17th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Ring

Win wrote:

I have been told that the Force 12 C-3SS does not have much of a
pattern on 6 meters. Today, however, on 6 meters, with a C-3SS, it
appeared that I had good forward lobe, and maybe even some front to
back.

Has anyone modeled this antenna for 6 meter. If so I would love to
see the pattern.

Win, w0lz

Interesting. This antenna doesn't cover 6 meters according to their web
page.

http://force12inc.com/c3ssinfo.htm

tom
K0TAR
Old June 17th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Ring

Tom Ring wrote:

The only way triple f yagis work well is if the elements are swept
forward. That pushes the right and left lobes from the straight
elements into the center.

Well known in the VHF and UHF design world, probably almost unknown here.

tom
K0TAR

Old June 17th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

Tom Ring wrote:
Tom Ring wrote:

The only way triple f yagis work well is if the elements are swept
forward. That pushes the right and left lobes from the straight
elements into the center.

Well known in the VHF and UHF design world, probably almost unknown here.

That's too bad, since I've described that technique on this group a
number of times in various contexts. It allows you to make a very nice
40/15 meter antenna, for example. Bending the wires of a 40 meter dipole
in 30 degrees aligns the lobes on 15 meters, but doesn't alter the 40
meter pattern much. And of course it's widely used for TV antennas,
where the upper VHF bands are about three times the frequency of the
lower ones.

This doesn't make an extended double zepp as posted earlier. An EDZ is
5/4 wavelength, which has a single lobe in each direction broadside to
the antenna when the antenna is straight. A dipole operated at three
times its lowest resonant frequency is about 3/2 wavelength, and has
four lobes in a cloverleaf pattern, rather than two in opposite
directions like an EDZ. So it requires bending if you want just two
major lobes in opposite directions.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old June 17th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Win

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:16:38 -0500, Win wrote:

Actuall, this explains a lot. I remember a slight null at center.

I will play with it again today, if the band opens. The antenna
loaded well with the internal tuner. I also received good reports.
My dilemma is, live with this for a while, or find a place on the
tower for another antenna.

Thanks, everyone.

Win, w0lz
Old June 17th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Ring

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Tom Ring wrote:

Tom Ring wrote:

The only way triple f yagis work well is if the elements are swept
forward. That pushes the right and left lobes from the straight
elements into the center.

Well known in the VHF and UHF design world, probably almost unknown here.

That's too bad, since I've described that technique on this group a
number of times in various contexts. It allows you to make a very nice
40/15 meter antenna, for example. Bending the wires of a 40 meter dipole
in 30 degrees aligns the lobes on 15 meters, but doesn't alter the 40
meter pattern much. And of course it's widely used for TV antennas,
where the upper VHF bands are about three times the frequency of the
lower ones.

snip
Roy Lewallen, W7EL

I should have known you would have stated it already. My bad.

There is also an interesting 2 meter antenna for sale on the net that
uses that method. 3 3/2 wavelength elements made as a sort of yagi as I
remember. I have no idea how well it really works.

tom
K0TAR