Old December 29th 03, 12:22 PM
Marvin Rosen

Default Auto Ant. Tuner Questions

I'm considering the purchase of an Icom-
AH-4 auto tuner. I am planning to use it
with a 100 watt output rig. My questions
are as follows:

1. I suspect because of the numerous
components within the tuner there is
more to go wrong than a manual tuner?
2. The only advantage of an auto tuner
is convenience?
3. Distant lightning, snow & heavy wind can
cause static which may ruin the tuner?

Any worthwhile comments would be appreciated.

Old December 29th 03, 02:05 PM
'Doc

Marvin,
1. I suspect because of the numerous
components within the tuner there is
more to go wrong than a manual tuner?

True.

2. The only advantage of an auto tuner
is convenience?

True.

3. Distant lightning, snow & heavy wind can
cause static which may ruin the tuner?

False. (Because of the 5 words after "static".)

'Doc
Old December 29th 03, 10:53 PM
Dave Shrader

Marvin Rosen wrote:

I'm considering the purchase of an Icom-
AH-4 auto tuner. I am planning to use it
with a 100 watt output rig. My questions
are as follows:

1. I suspect because of the numerous
components within the tuner there is
more to go wrong than a manual tuner?

True! But unlikely. Reliability is a function of design, stress and
derating. A poorly designed manual tuner will fail just as easily as a
poorly design auto tuner.

2. The only advantage of an auto tuner
is convenience?

The AH-4 mounts at the antenna, not in the shack, and provides a matched
line from the antenna to the shack.

Speed. My AH-4 will tune any band in under 2 seconds. In my base station
I may need 10 to 20 seconds to adjust my 2KW manual tuner.

With my IC706MKIIg setup I just key the mike when I change bands and it
tunes autoamtically!!

3. Distant lightning, snow & heavy wind can
cause static which may ruin the tuner?

Are you kidding?? The AH-4 is 100% weather sealed. The output circuits
are rugged [100 watts at high VSWR/high load impedance can produce
significant rf voltage at the connector.

Any worthwhile comments would be appreciated.

MFJ 993 Auto Tuner Tom - KS5x Antenna 1 November 2nd 03 04:05 PM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM
Building AUTO TUNER Jimmy Antenna 2 August 2nd 03 01:26 AM
Grounding an auto antenna tuner Myron Antenna 8 July 12th 03 10:13 PM
Tuner detunes antenna David Cook Antenna 2 July 11th 03 09:42 PM