Old July 11th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JC JC is offline

Default Antenna optimization

Is there a software which can design an antenna (like EZNEC or similar )
then allows to automatically optimize its dimensions according to given
requirements: max gain, F/B, min swr... and accepted dimensional parameters
changes: boom length, spacing....
JC

Old July 11th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Yes!

I think EZNEC has a optimization function as you stated. I know 4NEC2
does as I have used it many times..

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Old July 11th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"JC" wrote in message
Is there a software which can design an antenna (like EZNEC or

similar )
then allows to automatically optimize its dimensions according to

given
requirements: max gain, F/B, min swr... and accepted dimensional

parameters
changes: boom length, spacing....
JC

-------
Dear JC,

You don't need software. What you describe is non-existent anyway.
What you want is a long experienced antenna designer who can be
permanently engaged on your behalf. There are very few of such
creatures about.

You will have to be numerically quite specific about particular
problems. And even then you will get solutions which, with luck, are
probably only in the right ball-park.

On the other hand, ball-park solutions are perfectly satisfactory. In
the nature of events, no-one has ever solved an antenna problem which
is other than in a ball-park. Fortunately, antennas work quite well
even when in the wrong ball-park.

Download a free copy of EZNEC and in a few months time you may have
solved your first complicated, specific problem. As time goes on, you
will become more adept and there will be no need to engage a long
experienced antenna designer. You will have become one youself and
can offer your services for hire.

If you have a specific problem you may, if you are lucky, find a
computer program written by someone who has already solved it. But its
highly unlikely to be exactly the same problem. It will be in a
somewhat different ball-park.

Optimisation is out! You will have to contend with whatever you can
get your hands on. What's been done before. Take it or leave it!
----
Reg.

Old July 11th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JC JC is offline

Thanks for help, I think I wrongly explained my problem, here is the
question:
1/ I design an antenna, for instance a 3 el 20m beam.
2/ I enter into EZNEC wires dimensions, spacing, height, source.....
3/ EZNEC calculates gain, F/B, SWR....and results are acceptable.
4/ Now let's suppose my objectives are max F/B as I have a QRM source
opposed to my favourite transmitting direction and SWR 1.5 on a given
frequency range as my transceiver is very SWR sensitive and I can't use an
antenna tuner.
I accept changing wire lengths and spacing but not boom length.
Is there a way to have EZNEC, or another software, doing automatic
iterations until it reaches the best F/B-SWR compromise ?

JC - F8ND

"Reg Edwards" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...

Old July 11th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JC wrote:

4/ Now let's suppose my objectives are max F/B as I have a QRM source
opposed to my favourite transmitting direction and SWR 1.5 on a given
frequency range as my transceiver is very SWR sensitive and I can't use an
antenna tuner.
I accept changing wire lengths and spacing but not boom length.
Is there a way to have EZNEC, or another software, doing automatic
iterations until it reaches the best F/B-SWR compromise ?

K6STI's Yagi Optimizer 7.0 does a very nice job of this. You can
choose the weighting of Gain, F/R, SWR or Impedance and optimize over
any choice of frequencies. See my results for a pair of stacked KLM
Yagis on 28 MHz he

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/yagi_optimizer_7_0.htm

Unfortunately K6STI no longer markets his software to hams (due to
software piracy issues). Hopefully you can find someone with a copy
who can optimize your initial results.

73, Bill W4ZV

Old July 11th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Unfortunately K6STI no longer markets his software to hams (due to
software piracy issues). Hopefully you can find someone with a copy
who can optimize your initial results.

73, Bill W4ZV

You could try ARRL's "YW", available with the "Antenna Book".

Frank

Old July 11th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 2006-07-11, wrote:

Unfortunately K6STI no longer markets his software to hams (due to
software piracy issues). Hopefully you can find someone with a copy
who can optimize your initial results.

Careful, you're pegging my irony meter.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old July 11th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"JC" wrote
Thanks for help, I think I wrongly explained my problem, here is the
question:
1/ I design an antenna, for instance a 3 el 20m beam.
2/ I enter into EZNEC wires dimensions, spacing, height, source.....
3/ EZNEC calculates gain, F/B, SWR....and results are acceptable.
4/ Now let's suppose my objectives are max F/B as I have a QRM

source
opposed to my favourite transmitting direction and SWR 1.5 on a

given
frequency range as my transceiver is very SWR sensitive and I can't

use an
antenna tuner.
I accept changing wire lengths and spacing but not boom length.
Is there a way to have EZNEC, or another software, doing automatic
iterations until it reaches the best F/B-SWR compromise ?

--------------

Let us see what would be involved if you had EZNEC and had to do
everything else yourself the hard way. You already have a crude,
satisfactory design for 3 elements, wire lengths, wire diameters,
spacing, height, etc.

Only the boom length and presumably wire diameters and height are
fixed and you wish to optimise everything else for maximum F/B ratio
and minimum SWR.

Everything else comprises : 3 lengths and 1 spacing. This makes a
total of 4 independent variables.

You now vary the first variable over a range of say 4 increments,
keeping all the other variables constant and keeping a record of the 4
results of F/B ratio and SWR

You then vary the second variable over a range of 4 increments,
keeping all the other variables constant and keeping a record of the
results.

You continue to do this until you have done all possible combinations
of the 4 variables. You will have a 4-dimension array of results of
F/B ratio and SWR, making a total of 512 observations.

Now search the observations until you can find the maximum of F/B
ratio combined with minimum of SWR

If it looks as though the minimum SWR or the maximum F/B ratio lies
outside the 4-dimensional array then shift the variables in an
appropriate direction and repeat the whole procedure until a max and
min are found.

The trouble with modelling programs is you have to enter element
lengths and spacing via the keyboard. It would be nice to have a
program to do it for you. I am unfamiliar with the situation. Such a
program might exist - one which outputs F/B ratio and SWR.
----
Reg.

Old July 11th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

As mentioned in another posting, YO (Yagi Optimizer) would be a good
bet. Strange that piracy caused the author to quit offering it
completely; seems like any sales are better than none, and not selling
a program only makes piracy more likely, not less.

But check out the EZNEC co-pilot program from Dan Maguire, AC6LA, at
http://www.ac6la.com/. That page lists several of his offerings; it's
MultiNEC that you'll be most interested in. Though it may not
completely automate the optimization, it should make the process much
easier and faster for you.

Cheers,
Tom

Old July 11th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

As I just posted in another followup, MultiNEC (add-on for EZNec and
other NEC programs) takes care of just this sort of thing for you, and
takes much of the tedium out of the process. As an Excel spreadsheet,
it does require that you have Excel on the computer you're using.

Cheers,
Tom

Reg Edwards wrote:
"JC" wrote
[...]

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM