Old July 15th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Does anyone know of any AC (alternating current) 220V or 350V Shortwave Antenna circuits?

Hello,

Does anyone know of any AC (alternating current) 220V or 350V
Shortwave Antenna circuits? It is for use with a long vertical wire
antenna or TV antenna pole. I was wondering if anybody new of any
antenna circuits that meat this description.

Thank you,
Matthew William Coan
Sat Jul 15 15:48:04 EDT 2006

Old July 15th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave wrote:
your request makes no sense... just what are you trying to do??

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Does anyone know of any AC (alternating current) 220V or 350V
Shortwave Antenna circuits? It is for use with a long vertical wire
antenna or TV antenna pole. I was wondering if anybody new of any
antenna circuits that meat this description.

Thank you,
Matthew William Coan
Sat Jul 15 15:48:04 EDT 2006

I am trying to make a powered shortwave antenna circuit for use with a
shortwave crystal radio. I wanted the circuit to use power directly
from the wall socket (AC 220V) so as to make a powerful and sensitive
antenna out of a TV antenna or just a long wire.

Thank You,
Matthew William Coan
Sat Jul 15 17:32:10 EDT 2006

Old July 15th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
Dave wrote:
your request makes no sense... just what are you trying to do??

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Does anyone know of any AC (alternating current) 220V or 350V
Shortwave Antenna circuits? It is for use with a long vertical wire
antenna or TV antenna pole. I was wondering if anybody new of any
antenna circuits that meat this description.

Thank you,
Matthew William Coan
Sat Jul 15 15:48:04 EDT 2006

I am trying to make a powered shortwave antenna circuit for use with a
shortwave crystal radio. I wanted the circuit to use power directly
from the wall socket (AC 220V) so as to make a powerful and sensitive
antenna out of a TV antenna or just a long wire.

Thank You,
Matthew William Coan
Sat Jul 15 17:32:10 EDT 2006

Sounds like you need an active antenna. Try Google on active antenna
and see what you get. An active antenna uses transistors or I.C's to
amplify very short or poor antennas to increase the signal strength.
Active antennas can be powered from AC mains with an appropriate power
supply.

With a crystal radio, normally you don't need any active devices. If
signal boost is desired, you can do it on the RF end (active antenna),
or on the Audio side (audio amp).
Good Luck.
Gary N4AST

Old July 15th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave wrote:
your request makes no sense... just what are you trying to do??

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Does anyone know of any AC (alternating current) 220V or 350V
Shortwave Antenna circuits? It is for use with a long vertical wire
antenna or TV antenna pole. I was wondering if anybody new of any
antenna circuits that meat this description.

I am trying to make a powered shortwave antenna circuit for use with a
shortwave crystal radio. I wanted the circuit to use power directly
from the wall socket (AC 220V) so as to make a powerful and sensitive
antenna out of a TV antenna or just a long wire.

Thank You,
Matthew William Coan
Sat Jul 15 17:32:10 EDT 2006

From your written question - these observations.

1. English is not your native language. IF it is - your spelling and
grammar need work.

2. It appears to lack fundamental electrical and radio theory knowledge - a
good way to get electrocuted with commercial line voltages (120 or 220 VAC)
and appliances.

3. A crystal radio (shortwave) is limited by its overall sensitivity and the
RF from broadcast stations that it can capture by the antenna.
You just need a better antenna (higher in height or longer in length)

The Xtal Set Society
http://www.midnightscience.com/

Simple crystal radios
http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/radio/radio.html

4. If you wish to improve the receiver - then you need to read Edwin
Armstrong (regenerative and superhetrodyne designs)
http://world.std.com/~jlr/doom/armstrng.htm
who blazed this trail you are attempting almost 100 years ago.

5. I think you need to follow this line of construction for improving your
crystal radio
http://www.techlib.com/electronics/crystal.html

http://www.thebest.net/wuggy/

http://www.schmarder.com/radios/crystal/

gb

"We who give advice or responses are survivors of the electrical and radio
craft --
those who made serious mistakes -- did not survive their mistakes."

Old July 17th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
Buck wrote:

There used to be radio antennas that plugged into the wall outlets.
They had a three pronged connector, but only one side was actually
electrically connected, the other prongs were plastic. I am not sure
what they did to isolate the electrical from the radio, but the
antenna used the house wiring for an antenna extension.

This may be what he is looking for, something that coupled with the
electrical wires for a longer antenna.

Ugh. Those things. "Turn your entire house into a gigantic
television antenna!"

These devices usually just couple one of the wires in the outlet to
the antenna lead, using a small high-voltage capacitor. Component
parts cost was a few cents, plus the cost of the plug, and (usually)
some intricately-shaped plastic case meant to make the device look
sophisticated. The case probably cost more than the guts, and the
advertised price was far greater than either.

From all I've heard, they generally gave poor performance for at least
two reasons:

- A house's power wiring is an excellent vehicle for RF noise and
hash... harmonics from power-supply rectifier, broadband impulse
noise from any AC motor with brushes, and so forth. Result: lots
of static in the picture.

- Multipath. The house wiring is of a complex shape, much larger
than a typical TV antenna. The TV or radio signal is likely to be
picked up by several different portions of the wiring, which will
mix (with varying amounts of time delay) at the coupler. Result:
a ghosty picture.

To paraphrase a Monty Python sketch concerning a particular Australian
table wine: "This is not a technology for using. This is a
technology for laying down and avoiding."

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old July 17th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:31:36 -0000, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

In article ,
Buck wrote:

[...]

From all I've heard, they generally gave poor performance for at least
two reasons:

- A house's power wiring is an excellent vehicle for RF noise and
hash... harmonics from power-supply rectifier, broadband impulse
noise from any AC motor with brushes, and so forth. Result: lots
of static in the picture.

- Multipath. The house wiring is of a complex shape, much larger
than a typical TV antenna. The TV or radio signal is likely to be
picked up by several different portions of the wiring, which will
mix (with varying amounts of time delay) at the coupler. Result:
a ghosty picture.

To paraphrase a Monty Python sketch concerning a particular Australian
table wine: "This is not a technology for using. This is a
technology for laying down and avoiding."

That sounds like what I was describing. I had an experience once
where there was a drop cord hanging in a loop shape from a power line
that lit up a boat pier about 100 feet long or so. When I put my
shortwave radio near it, I had tremendous reception on MW or SW. I
didn't need to even use the antenna on the radio. I figure there was
about 300 total feet of wire the way it was run. Had a great night
fishing and listening to SWB.

Buck
--
73 for now
Buck
Old July 26th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

My very first short wave experience ever was listening to HCJB on a 6
transistor BCB radio when I was 10 years old...I tweaked the tuning cap to
get the thing as far as possible out of the broadcast band range and the
overload from the rural above-ground telephone lines did the rest. Got me
started thinking that there just might be radios in other countries, hi hi.

"Buck" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:31:36 -0000, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

In article ,
Buck wrote:

[...]

From all I've heard, they generally gave poor performance for at least

On Topic [email protected] Shortwave 5 November 2nd 05 10:35 AM
FS: sma-to-bnc custom fit rubber covered antenna adapter Stephen G. Gulyas Scanner 17 December 7th 04 06:42 PM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM