Old July 21st 03, 01:15 PM
Dale Parfitt

Default Which NEC antenna design software?

Joel Dorfan wrote:

I want to evaluate some Yagis using NEC software. There seem to be many
EZNec, MultiNec etc. etc. Which have you tried? Which offers the best value
for money. I dont mind paying but dont have the time to evaluate all of the
free demos.

I would appreciate some pointers from the group.

Thanks

Joel
ZS6CBA

Visit the W4RNL site to look intot he different capabilities of NEC and
miniNEC. If still available, Beezley's YO is tailored just for Yagi design and
is very user friendly.

Dale W4OP

Old July 21st 03, 02:12 PM
WB3FUP \(Mike Hall\)

My three day use of EZNEC Demo has made EZNEC a
definite want. There is nothing that the demo
won't do, there are few differences, according to
the author. But the Demo has become my favorite
toy, and I am saving my pennies.

--
73 es cul

wb3fup
a Salty Bear

"Joel Dorfan" wrote in
message ...

Old July 21st 03, 02:22 PM
Joel Dorfan

Thanks Dale,
Yes I believe that YO is the application that would do the job.

The next trick is to try and get hold of Brian Beezley. There does not seem
to be an updated email address for him and I can't find a site from where
the software can be downloaded.

Any clues anyone?

Joel

Old July 21st 03, 07:14 PM
Roy Lewallen

You can contact Brian at his callbook address:

Brian Beezley, K6STI
3532 Linda Vista Dr.
San Marcos, CA 92069

He only accepts orders by mail.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old July 21st 03, 07:36 PM
Dan Richardson

And don't even think of trying to run it under XP.

Danny, K6MHE

Old July 21st 03, 11:14 PM
Yuri Blanarovich

There is also 4NEC2, free, good value for the money, does optimization too and
works with MultiNEC and EZNEC.

Yuri
Old July 22nd 03, 03:37 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

Joel,
I have no experience with anything other than AO which I have used
for many years.

deletsky...

As far as I am aware the A.O. program can achieve what most of the
other programs can achieve whereas most other programs cannot achieve
what A.O. can achieve which really tells the story.
Hope the above helps you to make the right descision for you
Regards
Art

Does anyone see any contradiction here?
The question was about NEC based programs, AO is not NECky program.

Maybe too much SWR going on?
What a great artwise :-)

Bada NEC BUm

BTW try 4NEC2, its FREEEEEEE

Old July 23rd 03, 10:00 AM

I have no experience with anything other than AO which I have used
for many years. I purchased A.O. because it had the ability of
analysing any given radiator over different quality grounds and also
for it's ability to change the geometry of a radiator so that gain,
swr, F/B e.t.c can be optimised depending on your requirement.

So can 4nec2. It's optimizer was based on the same principles as AO.
Furthermore it can (almost) automatically convert *.ant files to 4nec2
input files. (just specify your *.ant file as a 4nec2 input file).
Besides that 4nec2 is based on the nec-2 core whereas AO was based on
the mininec core, especially important when modeling 'close' to
ground.

It is also a great learning tool because you can see where major changes
occur while the program runs that gives you insights as to
what further changes you can present to the program and follow the
computors progress as it changes geometries e.t.c.

I would suggest to take a look at the 4nec2 'evaluate' option. With
this you can stepwise change one or more antenna, ground, load or
other dimensions and see what effect they have on far-field pattern or
other antenna characteristics.

I have just purchaes the A.O. Pro program which cost $300.
This program is the same as the std A.O. program except it has many
more pulses available e.t.c.

4nec2 max is 5000 segments for XP systems, max 11000 segments for
none-XP systems

As far as I am aware the A.O. program can achieve what most of the
other programs can achieve whereas most other programs cannot achieve
what A.O. can achieve which really tells the story.

I would be very glad to know what you think could be added to 4nec2 to
make it even better.

Furthemore it might be usefull to know the following is also possible:
- Switchable genetic based or traditional hil-climbing optimizer
- 2D, 3D graphical- and chart- display of near-field data
- Optional surface wave-data included in far-field.
- Sophisticated Smith-chart display when using frequency sweep.
- Interface to VOACAP propagation prediction freeware
- CAD alike geometry editor for starting modeler (however not usable
when optization is required, see help-file)
- Nec-2 aware or default notepad editor also usable.

One drawback might be the lack of a very comprehensive getting started
and/or user manual, but you can always contact me in case of problems.

Please don't interpret this as an advertisement. Just as an attempt to
share some private-made software with others interested in antenna
modeling and/or propagation prediction.

Arie.
Old July 23rd 03, 01:29 PM
Yuri Blanarovich

Arie 4NEC2 wrote:

I would be very glad to know what you think could be added to 4nec2 to
make it even better.

Thanks again for fine software Arie.
Things I would like to see is incorporation of terrain simulation with antenna
design. Few zones of different "ground quality" (radials, sand, salt water)
with linear and/or circular boundaries plus sloping terrain (contour profile).
Example would be four square array on the sloping hill of sand some distance
from the ocean. Verticals are very sensitive to the ground quality and terrain
slopes/profile and this feature would be a great tool in quest for maximizing
the performance of array by using the terrain features (enhanced F/B).
K6STI has Terrain Analyzer (?) I have never tried it, but I understand that he
uses free space pattern of antenna and then applies the geometry and quality of
ground. I can see that more true representation of antenna's performance is to
tweak the design with real ground/terrain situation. Vertical antennas, where
ground participation makes significant difference in the tuning of array, would
be more closely modeled by using real ground rather than free space (who's got
it anyway?) and then doing optimization with given ground/terrain situation.
Enough challenge? I don't know of any software that would do optimization with
participation of ground/terrain.
Thanks again!

Yuri, K3BU
Old July 23rd 03, 04:11 PM
Joel Dorfan

Thanks for all of the useful input.

Art where did you purchase your AO-Pro?

Joel

"Art Unwin KB9MZ" wrote in message
m...
Arie,
I remember when you first spoke of your program on this newsgroup
where I commended you for your sharing attitude. My computor was down
at that time but I do remember the many comments given , all of which
were good.
I really should have noted the facts down as it appears to me that
your program
offers much more than any program on the market and is a formidable
new height
that competing programmers will have to overcome.
Rest assured that I will be taking a closer look at your work since I
believe that the optimisation tool is a prime requisite of any antenna
evaluation program.
Best Regards
Art

. com...