Old October 5th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default Is a contact with a no-code ham a real QSO?

AC7PN wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
Or is it like talking to someone on CB?

SC

The answer is "yes it is a real contact" and so far as you were
communicating with some one using a radio it also is "like talking to
someone on CB."

Dude, your arrogance is showing.

I would have said ignorance

73, Phil W7OX
Old October 5th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Phil Wheeler wrote:
AC7PN wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
Or is it like talking to someone on CB?

SC

The answer is "yes it is a real contact" and so far as you were
communicating with some one using a radio it also is "like talking to
someone on CB."

Dude, your arrogance is showing.

I would have said ignorance

73, Phil W7OX

both are enteirly accurate

Old October 6th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Phil Wheeler wrote in
:

AC7PN wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
Or is it like talking to someone on CB?

SC

The answer is "yes it is a real contact" and so far as you were
communicating with some one using a radio it also is "like talking to
someone on CB."

Dude, your arrogance is showing.

I would have said ignorance

73, Phil W7OX

Don't tell me You want to dumb down ham radio now as well. Where have all
the communicators gone?

SC
Old October 6th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
Don't tell me You want to dumb down ham radio now as well. Where have all
the communicators gone?

My dog is an expert communicator. Forget the code requirement.
Do you have a EE degree? If not, you don't have the sense of
a blind billy goat.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old October 6th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

"Slow Code" wrote in message
ink.net...
Phil Wheeler wrote in
:

AC7PN wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
Or is it like talking to someone on CB?

SC

The answer is "yes it is a real contact" and so far as you were
communicating with some one using a radio it also is "like talking to
someone on CB."

Dude, your arrogance is showing.

I would have said ignorance

73, Phil W7OX

Don't tell me You want to dumb down ham radio now as well. Where have all
the communicators gone?

SC

Any idiot can learn code. Not everyone can understand theory enough to make
it usable in day to day practice. I submit that SC is the "any idiot".

Old October 6th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

U-Know-Who wrote:
"Slow Code" wrote in message
ink.net...

Any idiot can learn code. Not everyone can understand theory enough to make
it usable in day to day practice. I submit that SC is the "any idiot".

and knowing is not even vital to using it these days

Old October 6th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
Phil Wheeler wrote in
:

AC7PN wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
Or is it like talking to someone on CB?

SC
The answer is "yes it is a real contact" and so far as you were
communicating with some one using a radio it also is "like talking to
someone on CB."

Dude, your arrogance is showing.

I would have said ignorance

73, Phil W7OX

Don't tell me You want to dumb down ham radio now as well. Where have all
the communicators gone?

SC

Since when was talking as in Phone SSB not
"communication". Sure code is fine, but most of
us learned to key "mama" long after we learned to
say it

73, Phil W7OX
Old October 6th 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Smokey wrote:
Talking to a "no code" is like addressing someone given an honorary degree
as "doctor."

Hmm. OK, how about talking to a no-code with a yet-to-be-activated
General? I sat for & took the Tech, passed and they mentioned I could
take the General. Great. Passed that one as well. Working on Morse
now.

Missed the Extra, though, by a few questions.

Was my first shot at any exam.

Neither a Tech nor a General makes one a Ham, though.
Nor Morse.

That only qualifies you to be a good student of the avocation.
I don't expect to be really good at ham radio until I've played
around
with a transceiver for a year or two, maybe. Still need to learn
the lingo,
learn electronics, get my feet wet, build a receiver and maybe a
transmitter,
blow up a few caps..you know, OJT. Plus lots of hamfests where I'll
be looking for a cute hamette.

When I finally DO get a rig of some kind, I sorta kinda might be
Ready
for going after QSOs.

Even from folks who think I've got an honorary degree.

Good DX & 73,
Terry, KC9KEL newly minted

Old October 6th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

In article . net,
says...

Thanks for posting that chuck. I've never broken any of those on the air
or on usenet. Maybe now Markie and everyone else will see why CW is
important.

Thanks again and Keep up the good work.

73 de Slow Code

You need to read them again SC. You break them daily on usenet. You're
not considerate. You're down right unfriendly to some and You're about
unprogressive as they come.

73

Chris