RadioBanter

-   -   SP-600 from hell:need knobs, handles (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/106216-sp-600-hell-need-knobs-handles.html)

Steve October 3rd 06 04:37 PM

SP-600 from hell:need knobs, handles

I've always been a sucker for lost causes and high tube count
boatanchors, so when I came across this SP-600 I had to
have it. This beast had been sitting on the floor of a damp garage
for decades unprotected. I spent 3 hour cleaning out mouse
turds and black widow webs. There's still an elusive black widow
that I haven't been able to kill. The top of the chassis isn't just
dusty, its crusty dust thats been hardened with mouse ****!
Yuck! Is it restorable? Maybe, with a lot of work. I'll check
the IF's and all other coils and transformers today.

The good news is its complete except for the crystal phasing
and main tuning knob as well as the handles. If anyone has
these for sale or swap, let me know.

Oh yeah, its a JX-26. Just like the one I rebuilt last winter. ;-)

Steve

K3HVG October 3rd 06 11:06 PM

SP-600 from hell:need knobs, handles

Steve,
FYI... SP-600 do not and never did have rack handles. I know they'd look
nice with them but they just didn't come with them. The only SP-600 knob
I have left is one of the 0-10 knobs. de K3HVG

Brian Hill October 4th 06 12:24 AM

"Steve" wrote in message
I've always been a sucker for lost causes and high tube count
boatanchors, so when I came across this SP-600 I had to
have it. This beast had been sitting on the floor of a damp garage
for decades unprotected. I spent 3 hour cleaning out mouse
turds and black widow webs.

Take it outside and hose it off. You wont hurt it. If you need parts email
me.
Remove your HAT to reply directly

--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Remove your HAT to reply directly

g. beat October 4th 06 01:44 AM

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

Take it outside and hose it off. You wont hurt it. If you need parts email
me.
Remove your HAT to reply directly

--
Regards
B.H.
Southern, MN USA
Radios- R-5000, NRD525,SP-600,SX-28,Eton E1

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Brian -

What generator is that you haev on the left side of your workbench.

I think I have only seen one other of these ..... can't remember it (model)

g. beat

Steve October 4th 06 02:01 AM

SP-600 from hell:need knobs, handles

I'm sure you're right, but the JX-26 I restored last year has handles,
and they appear to be original. The one I just got has holes in
exactly the same place, and sure look like they were there
originally. Is there a chance that some versions had them but
most didn't?

Steve W6SSP

Brian Hill October 4th 06 02:01 AM

"g. beat " w9gb@spam protected wrote in message

Brian -

What generator is that you haev on the left side of your workbench.

I think I have only seen one other of these ..... can't remember it
(model)

g. beat

I think your refering to the Simpson Genescope. Very neat peice of gear. I
got it from Chuck Dachis a few years ago. Heres a little info on it:
http://members.cox.net/dalehcook/rad...es/multi.shtml

--

Regards
B.H.

Steve October 4th 06 02:16 AM

SP-600 from hell:need knobs, handles

Brian,
I have one of these (Genoscope) as well. It is a very interesting
piece of test equipment. The mirror for the scope is the thing
that made me buy mine.

I'm too chicken to hose down the SP-600. I've dealt with
too many radios that had open IF transformers due to corrosion.
I don't want to wash the mouse **** into those IF cans!
I'll do it the hard way. No pain no gain!

Steve

COLIN LAMB October 4th 06 02:29 AM

SP-600 from hell:need knobs, handles

And, what is the problem. What would you do if, instead, you found a brand
new, in the box, SP-600. You would have to leave it in the box and not
touch it. Even worse would be to find one in a sealed box. Then, you could
x-ray it and store it safely.

But, in your case, you will restore it and know every inch of it. And,
because it is less than perfect, you can use it. You can even make
modifications to it without getting the blessing from the pope.

If you do not have 1/2 a dozen rigs in your collection that start out like
that, you do not have much of a collection. I know some collectors that
consider every rig that is a bit less than perfect as a parts rig. That is
an admission of failure.

Colin K7FM

g. beat October 4th 06 02:41 AM

SP-600 from hell:need knobs, handles

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
ink.net...

If you do not have 1/2 a dozen rigs in your collection that start out like
that, you do not have much of a collection. I know some collectors that
consider every rig that is a bit less than perfect as a parts rig. That
is an admission of failure.

Colin K7FM

Sounds like my Weller TCP-1 collection !!

They all work from the 1966 black bakelite to the last Navy contract
1976/1977 versions

Just picked up a Weller (UK) version -- that has Bulgin plug. That plug
arrives later this week - and then this one will be mated with matching
iron.

When does it end? ever?

w9gb

Rob Mills October 4th 06 02:41 AM

"Steve" wrote in message

I'm sure you're right, but the JX-26 I restored last year has handles,

and they appear to be original.

The one I had (sold it in the early 80's) had handles. RM~